TRON LEGACY: ID Disc :: Small Update

Re: TRON LEGACY: ID Disc :: First Pull Pics

Been pretty busy lately, but here is a small update.

I have made a "blade" that I am happy with, I will need to get some pictures of it. But below is a picture of it out of the laser cutter, before I stick it into the CNC for shaping and lines. (you can see my first blade in the comparison picture)

Also attached is a comparison between my disc and the deluxe toy, sad that they really missed the mark on the toy. I wonder if they had to keep sideshow's path clear.

I have decided to use half the LEDs I intended to use. On that "blade" you see I am going to skip every other spot. Lighting still looks smooth, even though I have only held 2 LED's up to it lol. The "C" Ring is split into 16 segments per side. They look like they should have 3 LEDs per but that = 96 LEDs in the "C" alone for both sides.
So, in my quest to use 1 LED per segment I have decided to Vacu-Form white styrene to form light buckets. Pic Below. The Lighting test you see is 1 LED.

More soon

Re: TRON LEGACY: ID Disc :: First Pull Pics

Been pretty busy lately, but here is a small update.

I have made a "blade" that I am happy with, I will need to get some pictures of it. But below is a picture of it out of the laser cutter, before I stick it into the CNC for shaping and lines. (you can see my first blade in the comparison picture)

Also attached is a comparison between my disc and the deluxe toy, sad that they really missed the mark on the toy. I wonder if they had to keep sideshow's path clear.

I have decided to use half the LEDs I intended to use. On that "blade" you see I am going to skip every other spot. Lighting still looks smooth, even though I have only held 2 LED's up to it lol. The "C" Ring is split into 16 segments per side. They look like they should have 3 LEDs per but that = 96 LEDs in the "C" alone for both sides.
So, in my quest to use 1 LED per segment I have decided to Vacu-Form white styrene to form light buckets. Pic Below. The Lighting test you see is 1 LED.

More soon
Looks coool! :cool IIRC Rick said it was about 128 LEDs or so...

BTW: I think that the blade was constructed like the inner "C" ring, support struts are on the outer rim of the disc, when lit, they have the wavy light you can see on the movie and the D23 prop armchair archivist "Tron Legacy" special. The grooves are straight on the real prop, not curved, if you go back to the reference pics I've posted, you can see that....

The lighting of your prop replica looks waay much closer to the prop, than the lightning in the prototype version of SSC.
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/videos.php?videoID=807

Last edited:
As you can see from the Nexnox photo above, the toy disk is way smaller then the actual disk diameter. It's been a real pain getting the number of LED's needed, plus control circuit and batteries into the toy and have it function similar to what is seen on screen.

So far, I have seen one of the disks on Hollywood Treasures and in a youtube video of the Disney rep. (showing props from the movie), and they did not show it lighting up the way it does with CGI. I am sure there is an actual working "HERO" that functions as seen.

This is going to be a bit of a challenge to pull off......

Nexnox,
I am really liking how yours is coming along. I think it will look great when it is complete and comes on for the first time :)
A sight to behold...

propmaster2000

As you can see from the Nexnox photo above, the toy disk is way smaller then the actual disk diameter. It's been a real pain getting the number of LED's needed, plus control circuit and batteries into the toy and have it function similar to what is seen on screen.

So far, I have seen one of the disks on Hollywood Treasures and in a youtube video of the Disney rep. (showing props from the movie), and they did not show it lighting up the way it does with CGI. I am sure there is an actual working "HERO" that functions as seen.

This is going to be a bit of a challenge to pull off......

Nexnox,
I am really liking how yours is coming along. I think it will look great when it is complete and comes on for the first time :)
A sight to behold...

propmaster2000

My understanding is that there were multiple sizes of the disc used throughout production. The primary "hero" discs that were able to be carried were 10 inches in total diameter with outer blade attached. There were some "stunt versions" that with the outer ring were 12 & 13 inches in diameter, and some background/ walking versions for extra's etc at 12 inches with the outer blade. Most of the non hero discs had painted inner/ outer rings, while some Hero versions had detachable outer rings.

Apparently there were several variations used in the film. After seeing the movie I can count at least 4 versions of the Hero discs with various differences.

Here are the 1280x1024 pic of the vid - mind the details on the disc:

bildschirmfotodisneyd23.png

Look, how the prop was lit (power on to off from top to bottom):

This is very exciting to see it really coming along. I've been watching this thread before I joined, and I really like what I'm seeing.

Another pics I found on the net of the real Quorra prop from the PIH auction, nenox, as you can see the disc has a sanded or satinized surface, which extends to the inner C ring, where the c gap is and on the opposite side, except for the little space between the grooved lines and the inner side of the C ring where the groove engulfs them. As well you'll have to cut small triangles covering the cutouts aligning the disc shape.

trondisc.jpg

Another observation I did, the poster pics showed only the special disc auctioned, where it doesn't posses the small cutouts, that means, a least two different discs have been used for the movie.

This thread has been quite the popular hot spot, given the release of Tron Legacy which is getting high ratings from viewers.

I'm rather anxious to see how this disc looks in its final stages of completion. I've been a fan of Kevin Flynn's white Identity Disc since I saw the movie.

wow 8500.. that is a lot of cash. I myself do not see paying that much for a screen used prop. Nice to here that cash went to Variety Children's Charity.

wow 8500.. that is a lot of cash. I myself do not see paying that much for a screen used prop. Nice to here that cash went to Variety Children's Charity.

Indeed, but it's been a crazy year for Charity auctions hehe. :)

That being said, I am very thankful to be lucky enough to be able to support good causes whilst doing geeky stuff!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back