TRON LEGACY: Identity Disc Progress

postmortem01

A friend of mine is making a Tron Identity Disc from Legacy. He's not a member here yet since registration is not open at the moment. I wanted to share some of his hard work and give you a link to his site where he's posting the updates to his project. When registration opens, I'm sure he'll take over this thread. For now, what do you think?

Check out his site for more pictures and more current progress.

http://travisjackson.tumblr.com/trondisk

Have Fun!!!

tumblr_kzrsucucyp1qamik5.jpg

tumblr_kzrsr0aXqp1qamik5.jpg

tumblr_kztlt7Go5d1qamik5.jpg

tumblr_kztlzerhN51qamik5.jpg

Mod's I official open a requsition to make this guy a member here even tho reg is not open just so he can make a run of these! LoL

Dude, with that kind of capability, you've GOT to make a light pipe so the thing will glow with LED action. If not, I think there's some pretty awesome glow-in-the-dark paints we could use.... :thumbsup

That, sir, is the stuff of dreams you're making there!

BTW, the four little "U" shaped cutouts ? I think the bottom of the "U" holes are not meant to be a perfect semi-circle but think of it as a round-corner rectangle that is slightly tilted.

My example:

trondisc.jpg

I think I made the bottoms of mine too rounded and it could be a touch flatter. Hope you can see what I'm talking about. There are two pairs "U" holes - 12 o'clock and 6' o'clock.

Fantastic! Yes, he needs to be a member here. I can think of many items that could be made and offered here.
BTW, we do have a current member who is working on this prop and it is coming along nicely - even without the aid of a rapid prototype machine. It's fun though to see varying methods of creation.
Either way, this is going to be a really fun prop to bring along to the midnight premier of Tron Legacy...so I hope we see these offered in the JY at some point soon...

I know everyone is constructing these with the blade as a part of the disc. Has anyone considered on constructing the base first and then using a piece of pexiglass to create the blade and then assemble them? I mean, to me, I think it would look better to make the blade and the disc separate pieces.

Nice try. Tell your friend to go back to the drawing board.

:lol

Seriously, with the LED lighting he has planned, these are going to be bitchin'.

LOL. Why do they allow you on this board?

The led lighting options that he has planned ARE going to be awesome. He has some updates on his site. Looked at a couple lighting tests. Looks friggin' awesome.

Hello all, This is Travis here and I thought I would give you all a little update. I have hi-jacked my friends account to make this post.

So I am still working on some lighting tests, trying to get the 48 LEDs in the center on just one side down to about 16. All while trying to keep room for a 9v battery. We are talking about trying to find a flat rechargeable battery that will help solve those space issues.

I am planning on adding a couple of lighting modes via Basic Stamp or PIC. In the latest Legacy trailer (the one with the face on shot of the disc) we see the "blade" emerge evenly around the disc, where in the VFX and the TRON:Evolution trailer(s) it kicks on with a radial animation. So I am going to focus on the radial animation, simply because it looks awesome.

I am in the process of making changes to the exterior of the disc based on the Kevin Flynn costume shot that got out. However I am keeping the two sections of the disc recessed. I think that the lines on the "back" version of the disc are just etched in for appearance and ease of reproduction.
I recorded a video of me making some of these changes. Edited and sped up for sanity sake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92q4pgAuMQw

@CSMacLaren: I can sort of see what you mean, but it doesn't make sense to me to distort what I think was intended to be round. The world of TRON is computer generated and would follow formula and proper geometry. Plus an 1/8" End Mill will fit in there nicely.

@CB2001: The blade and the disc are going to be separate pieces, I only included it in my mock-up to get a good feel for the size and shape of the part.

@Jedifyfe, Soulinertia: If it wasn't for my job, I would not have access to any of it. But it is what I do. I will be machining the body on a Roland MDX-540

God bless you for having the skills to work with that kind of software! Great music choice too. Very excited about this!

Greetings everybody. Travis here, I have finally registered now that it is open. Work as been pretty slammed lately and I haven't had much time to work on the Disc.

Status update:
I think I have located a better battery source; Rechargeable and I plan to hide a port so this thing wont have to be disassembled to change batteries. My next step is to model the battery and still lock down the center ring lighting.(My biggest hurdle)

I have made some modifications to the "screw" points here is a shot.
tumblr_l11knypJtA1qamik5.jpg

Gonna try to get the body on to a CNC soon; exterior and interior. Will post some more when I can, but now I am headed to the park with my son.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back