Star Trek III Tricorder Project - Complete!

Felgacarb

Sr Member
Here's a tricorder you don't see all that often- however I've convinced myself I need at least one for costuming purposes.

tsfs0981.jpg

St3-tricorder.jpg

Since it's primary function is to complement a costume, the requirements of this build will be a bit different, I think.

First, it has to look good with the costume. (This is actually easier than if it had to look good all by itself on a display shelf.)

Next, it has to survive being dragged around all day for a couple of days in a row.

Third, since most Star Trek costumes are severely limited in respect to pockets (field jackets not withstanding!) I want it to be able to serve as a purse. If I can have it hinge open and hold a camera or phone, cash and a couple of cards, it will be perfect.

Lastly, it would be fun it it would still open and light up the way it should. Since it only requires a few LED blinking, that may be doable even with the other requirements.

So, the first step is to get some drawings or sketches to work with. The approach I took was to make a CAD model (SolidWorks) based on whatever photographs I could find. This is what I have so far:

STIII-Tric-Draft-1_Page_1.jpg

STIII-Tric-Draft-1_Page_2.jpg

STIII-Tric-Draft-1_Page_3.jpg

Most of the details are there. My next step will be to print it up and make a paper mock-up, to see if I nailed the scale or not.

My current plan is to make wooden bucks, then press custom shells out of thin thermoform plastic (kydex) for the outside, with aluminum rails for a frame inside. We'll see if that plan survives the initial testing...

Last edited:
Re: Star Trek III Tricorder Project - barely begining

that... is pretty cool. I'm a huge fan of anything I-IV. good luck!

Last edited:

Yeah, me too. If only MR still existed we'd probably have a full set of the movie props by now.

One thing that always bothered me about these Tricorders - where the screen to give out all the important data you need ? (or is it that green bit ?)

I could be wrong, but I think the green bit on mine is intended to be the display screen.

(In the films- did it ever display a graphic, or just blinky lights?)

What I like about the prop is that Sulu is holding it the same way Spock used to hold the original tricorder...with all the buttons facing away from him and toward the camera, so the audience can see them! It's always funny when Spock uses one of the originals upside down.

Since you've got this in a 3D program, it seems that you could also have it 3D printed.

Thanks for the video, and the picture- every bit helps!

Phase Pistol, could you give me a dimension, such as overall width? I think I have the proportions about right, but I don't trust my scale- I think my model is too big right now. It is 8.25" tall (open) right now...

Here are some pictures for scale- the Coke can and ruler are 1:1

tabletop-iso.jpg

tabletop-front3-4.jpg

Too big? I'm thinking so...

Last edited:

I just need to get a better feel for how much too big it is... I'm not doing too well finding better scale photos...

tsfshd0399.jpg

This may help me a bit- I can probably get reasonably close comparing the solar system patch on Saavik's jacket to the prop.

tsfshd0695.jpg

If only they'd taken a moment in the film to set the phaser and tricorder down on a table, next to each other... with a soda can... and a ruler...

I may have to stare at these for a while longer. (Which is OK, I won't get to work on it this weekend anyway.)

Re: Star Trek III Tricorder Project - Scale set

Using the solar system patch as a guide (It is exactly 5 inches in diameter) I've gotten a decent estimate for the tricorder scale now. (It's just a bit over 3.5 inches wide)

IMG_4226.jpg

So, here is what the model is looking like sized down:

tabletop-2a.jpg

tabletop-2b.jpg

Next, I can print out patterns from this model, then start experimenting with the thermoform plastic...

Last edited:

I can't applaud you enough for taking this on...For this Trek movie fan, THIS is the grail prop. I've been longing to get my paws on one of these for decades. Good luck!

Sorry I didn't see your request until just now. I'll try to get some measures for you tonight when I get home if I can.

k

Thanks for the video, and the picture- every bit helps!

Phase Pistol, could you give me a dimension, such as overall width? I think I have the proportions about right, but I don't trust my scale- I think my model is too big right now. It is 8.25" tall (open) right now...

Ok here's what my caliper says:

Height (open): 6.952"

Height (closed): 6.1"

Width: 3.505"

Thanks Phase Pistol!

That will help- right now my computer model is 6.78" open, 5.98" closed and 3.58" wide- I'll need to tweak my proportions a bit...

Alright, getting closer. Actually, getting to where I thought I was two days ago. (Which is where I thought I was two days before that, too!)

But I'm slightly more there this time! With Phase Pistols measurements, (Thanks again!) I've gone back and adjusted the model a bit. Might not be all that obvious in these pictures, but the proportions and overall size should be about there now. (Mostly I just wanted to avoid "doing a playmates" and end up with a prop that is obviously out of scale to those who know what they are looking at...)

So, here are the cheesy shots with the Coke can again:

tabletop-v3-1.jpg

tabletop-v3-2.jpg

The CAD model now has more detail in it than I'll probably be able to capture in my build, but we'll see how it goes.

Next, (again) is to print out the plans from the model...

Im really loving this build... Will you make these available to the faithful?

-Skyler101

Im really loving this build... Will you make these available to the faithful?

-Skyler101

Thanks! Although I haven't actually built anything yet! Not outside of the computer, at least...

My plan is to build one good set of bucks (undersized positive models) and press the kydex over them, probably 4 or 5 separate parts, then then assemble and paint while I decide how fancy the electronics should be. However I fear I just won't get enough detail with that approach, and will end up falling back to just having kydex shells with most of the detail glued on to the outside.

If the first plan works, making extra shells for others may be possible. If I have to go plan B, it would probably be too much time required.

I hope to do my first high detail forming tests this weekend...

Got to be honest, I have NO IDEA what your talking about!
After the word "KYDEX", I felt like Maxwell Smart....
"Did you get all of that Max?"
"Everything till you said Kydex!"

It sounds like an interesting process. Still loving this build! I'm always interested in new techniques and processes. Anyone got a primer on Kydex?

"Missed it by that much....." :)

-Skyler101

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back