My 1st Prop from Scratch - Hellboy's Big Baby Build Thread

rgriesbeck

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I've been hanging out here a lot, reading a lot and absorbing. I've become a big fan of the community and was turned onto the RPF by Adam Savage's TED talk. I've posted quite a few Nerf guns here but have decided it's time to start a prop from scratch.

I've been a high-school 3d modelling/animation teacher for 15 years and it's sort of evolved into a new class I'm teaching next year called 3D Fabrication and prop design. The Nerf guns were the start, the kids love modding, painting and tricking them out with our 3D printers. But I guess to earn some "street cred", I'd decided to tackle Big Baby.

So far I've drafted up some 1:1 blueprints (based on the sideshow replica) and I'm starting to cut MDF and PVP pipes. My plan is for the gun to be made up mostly of MDF and PVP with a few 3D printed parts.

I'm open to ANY and ALL comments and advice. I'll try to post ongoing pictures. Wish me luck, I've seem some Big Baby build threads started, but never seen any finished :cry

Thanx

Here's my start, thanks to volpinprops.com for the excellent information on where/how to start. I printed this on our plotter and it looked ridiculously big, but when comparing to screen shots, and considering how big Hellboy is, I"m pretty sure it's right.

The Sideshow prop states size as 16" high x 10" wide x 28" long.

Some early planning pictures:

Big Baby
BigBaby_zpsb32aaa75.jpg

The Front of my Big Baby (still can't believe it's gunna be this big)
2013-03-14095544_zps0a87c9eb.jpg

The stock (and the pipes)
2013-03-14095806_zpscc1793c8.jpg

I'm going to have a go at building this soon too so will be watching closely. I bought the Sideshow one the other day buts its way to heavy to use as a cosplay weapon. If there are any detailed shots or measurements you would like from it just drop me a PM

I'm going to have a go at building this soon too so will be watching closely. I bought the Sideshow one the other day buts its way to heavy to use as a cosplay weapon. If there are any detailed shots or measurements you would like from it just drop me a PM

Dude, that would be SOOOOOOO great. I've been working from pics and ya, I'm sure I'll get stuck on something.

I'm worried mine might be heavier than the sideshow one, lotsa MDF, gunna have to drill out hidden areas...

Thanks again

I think the sideshow one is polystone so it is pretty heavy. I imagine that wood and plastic would be a lot lighter. The way Ron Pearlman swings it around in Hellboy 2 it must have been mostly hollow i would say.

Strange how some projects start up at the same time. I'm not building Big Baby as a prop, but I have been researching it for the last couple of day for a drawing I'm doing of it.

Here is my progress so far.
Skaeligrmbillede2013-03-15kl171558_zps045effe7.png

Very cool. If you are doing the Ammo for that too like you did for the Samaritan then the rounds have a picture of a babies bottle on them and the words "Suck on This" embossed into the bottom of the metal part.

I'm working on the stock right now, if you've got a thickness caliber, or even a ruler, could you tell me how thick the stock is at the back and at the front (where it joins the gun).

Mine's about 2.5 inches thick atm, and I think it's too fat...

Thanx

It's 60mm wide at the back and 40mm wide where it meets the metal part of the gun.
The back bit is 115mm high and the front part of the stock is 65mm high

It's 60mm wide at the back and 40mm wide where it meets the metal part of the gun.
The back bit is 115mm high and the front part of the stock is 65mm high

Thanx man! I'm actually very close to that! Definitely need to thin the front to 45mm, but the rest is spot on, guess I got lucky on the initial drawings.

Very cool. If you are doing the Ammo for that too like you did for the Samaritan then the rounds have a picture of a babies bottle on them and the words "Suck on This" embossed into the bottom of the metal part.

Thanks for the info! :)
I knew about the bottle, but not the embossing on the metal. Is there any chance you could take a pic of the bottle (I don't have a high res pic of it) and one of the embossed text (to find a font that is similar)?

Dude that's awesome, I'm currently working on my own Big Baby. I started a thread with pics here... http://www.therpf.com/f9/im-gonna-go-get-big-baby-175965/

Let me know if you want any measurements off mine. Still a very long way to go. I was actually stuck with part of it, where the stock attaches to the base of the gun. One of the pics you posted (the kinda cartoony one) was super helpful in figuring that part out. I need to get back to work on it now...

Race ya :D

Thanks for the info! :)
I knew about the bottle, but not the embossing on the metal. Is there any chance you could take a pic of the bottle (I don't have a high res pic of it) and one of the embossed text (to find a font that is similar)?

There is a couple of pictures of it here on the yourprops.com site. (let me know if you need higher res pics and I will take some)

Hellboy-2-The-Golden-Army-2008-prop-weapons.jpg

Big-Baby-Shotgun-Shell.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back