My 1st Prop from Scratch - Hellboy's Big Baby Build Thread

This is awesome! I actually didn't buy the Sideshow Baby after messing with one at the Orlando MegaCon year before last...just too heavy.( Ridiculous weight actually.) The ding's and scratces also look aweful on the production model from Sideshow. They look like someone just went to town with a silver paint Sharpie.
I'm pretty sure I've got a few catalogs at my shop that sell music boxes. I would be happy to order what you need...might have to rip the gut's out of something else, but no problem. Let me know if you decide to do a run. I'd be interested!

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm back at work now, so things will resume. The butt stock is almost done. Waiting on my CNC parts, supposed to be this week.

BigNunz - I may take you up on that, thanks!

James Kenobi 1138 - no, I teach up in Vancouver

Here's the butt stock so far. Need a bit more shaping, then staining and painting the laminated MDF core black to simulate wood

2013-04-08103731_zps6fb9a80c.jpg

Could anyone with the sideshow prop give me the measurement of the barrel length, from the tip of the front to where it meets the back piece (that sounds complicated, I just need overall barrel length)

Thanks

Could anyone with the sideshow prop give me the measurement of the barrel length, from the tip of the front to where it meets the back piece (that sounds complicated, I just need overall barrel length)

Thanks

Do you mean the rotating chambers or the complete length including the front barrels? I only ask as they are 2 seperate parts.

Actually, if possible each piece's length, then I can do some fancy math to get the total

Thanx again for the help

The chamber is 175mm

The front section including the part of the barrels that stick out of the front is 133mm

The part of the barrel that sticks out at the front is 50mm

The chamber is 175mm

The front section including the part of the barrels that stick out of the front is 133mm

The part of the barrel that sticks out at the front is 50mm

Thanx, so 175 + 133 should get me length from where the bullets are loaded to where they exit right?

Sorry for the lack of updates, been busy working. Here's some progress shots. A lot of it is built, roughly, and needs some assembly and checks for fit, etc. Based on the weight of this, I'm pretty sure I've decided that it won't be able to open, I can't see anyway to keep is closed because of the sheer amount of front end weight from the MDF...

Open to any feedback, ideas, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't included the pics of the 3D printed parts yet, they'll be attached later

View attachment 175877

rare earth magnet? hidden inside here someplace?

Funny you mention that, I've ordered some from Amazon. Was planning on putting them in that piece of MDF you see hiding between the pipes and then match them up to a bunch in the piece that it buts up against, just not sure they are strong enough...

The part you highlited will be glued and screwed down, the issue will be on the hinge and making the gun stay closed...

Guess I could try and default back to glue if they don't work.

Thanks for having the same brain I do, if 2 of us think that, maybe it'll work =)

- - - Updated - - -

looking very cool

Thanks man, you've been a lot of help. How does the prop keep the gun closed?

there is a button you press in on the back I think. I will double check in the morning and get you some pictures of the mechanism.

Ok I was right, there is a little button that you press on the back. It moves a hook mounted inside the back part of the chamber housing backwards so it releases its grip on the threaded bar that is embedded into the middle of the chambers. The pictures below show it all:

SDC11299.JPG
SDC11300.JPG
SDC11301.JPG
SDC11302.JPG
SDC11303.JPG
SDC11304.JPG

If you werent going to have the musical parts and you wanted an easier way to fasten the chamber shut you could make the key part spring loaded (like a pinball machine shooter rod) so you have to pull it out to drop the barrels.

If you werent going to have the musical parts and you wanted an easier way to fasten the chamber shut you could make the key part spring loaded (like a pinball machine shooter rod) so you have to pull it out to drop the barrels.

The more I look at it, and hold this beast, the more I think it's not going to open...

Here's a few pics with most of the major parts screwed together, it's gotta weight 40 Lbs

Got the front part of the barrels printed off on the Makerbot now, they thicken up the barrels

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I was right, there is a little button that you press on the back. It moves a hook mounted inside the back part of the chamber housing backwards so it releases its grip on the threaded bar that is embedded into the middle of the chambers. The pictures below show it all:

Thanks so much for the awesome pics, have sure helped

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back