All New Scratch Built Oscillation Overthruster

morganthirteen

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
One of my all-time favorite props has to be the Oscillation Overthruster from BUCKAROO BANZAI, and like most fans I've owned several recasts that have been floating around for years now but I had always wanted one that was a little less wonky, and a little more screen accurate. I came to the conclusion about 5 years ago that I was probably going to have to just build my own, but only got around to it a few months ago and here it is.

The first issue to tackle was the overall size. It was obvious that numerous recastings had shrunk the piece considerably, so using the larger of the two castings I had in my collection as a starting point I decided to enlarge the entire thing about 10%.

I began by sawing off one side of the larger casting, drawing an outline of it's profile and enlarging it accordingly. I then built a new frame out of maple hardwood (that was also 10% wider) and started to add onto it. I was actually able to save some time by gluing the cut off sides of the old castings onto this new frame and using them as a base, building right over the top of them. This way everything would be proportionally accurate. The tricky part was to make sure that the new pieces were now straight and less 'wopper-jawed'. It was still pretty time consuming, though.

DSCN0166_081.jpg

DSCN0190_092.jpg

Using the DVD as a visual guide I also corrected a few of the missing details that were lost or re-imagined incorrectly due to all the subsequent recasts. I won't bore you with a complete breakdown, but it seemed the more I studied the screengrabs, the more of those things I noticed. It's still not perfect of course, and I admit I've idealized some of it to my own personal preferences, too.

The biggest overall challenge however, was to incorporate all the "weird stuff" located in the cut-outs on the sides and bottom. After a lot of trial and error I finally settled on a three different techniques. The 'clockwork' pieces on the left side were all individual hand cut pieces of styrene built up in four layers to give it a nice depth. The right side cut out was filled with a thin styrene 'wire', and some even thinner welding wire braided together, while the bottom circular cut out was just filled with some sand grains from my front yard. Dirt, basically. lol

DSCN0191_093.jpg

Finally, in order to make the piece even more different from the other previously available versions, I decided to make the three priming pins stand out from the body.

DSCN0220_103.jpg

This way they could be cast separately and in clear acrylic resin. My good friend Tim Arp (aka D48thRonin) volunteered for this task and came through with fying colors. He was also kind enough to paint up the version you see here.

OT7.jpg

I hope you like it and please feel free to ask any questions, I'll do my best to answer!

Shawn

Last edited:
Re: All New Scatch Built Oscillation Overthruster

That looks incredible Shawn! Great cast as usuall, haven't seen you post in awhile, glad to see your still here!

Last edited:

Wow, you really outdid yourself on that one! Great work?! Is is a REAL working Oscillation Overthruster though, right?!! :love

Excellent work, Monkey Boy! :)

1st time I've ever seen 'dirt' used in a prop that wasn't used for weathering.

Great prop from one of my favorite movies. Awesome job Shawn! Off topic, you need to get your butt up here for another East Coast Prop Party. Its been too long.

Emmitt! Man, it *has* been too long! I hope you've been well. And thank you everyone.

Based on the feedback I've been receiving I may offer a very limited run of these in the junkyard in a day or two.

Thanks again for looking!

Shawn

Shawn just gets better and better with each new piece that he tackles - this thing is really nice.

And it was my pleasure to do up the pins in clear - they're actually polyurethane resin, not acrylic. I just figured it would be a nice final flourish for such an awesome piece of work.

Here's another pic (my personal favorite):

375551013.jpg

And here's an interesting comparison between Shawn's Overthruster (on the left) and one of the most recently available recastings:

375602002.jpg

375602005.jpg

375602006.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, but this is definitely Shawn's baby - all I did was re-mold the pins that he sent me and crank 'em out en-mass in clear.

I will be sending John Big booty over to retreive it this evening.
Your friends from
Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Very nice. Now for a gimbal mount to display it in.

So when do we see these in the Junkyard????

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a friendly bump for Morgan13.

I picked one of these up from him. Even the grains of dirt from his front yard look sharp in the casting.

Looking forward to painting it soon. D48thRonin, your pictures and paint job will make an easy job even easier.

Ted.
Prefect42.

De-licious! I luv work that makes an original prop (that looks great) look even Better!
Sure it's fortunate to have an original Screen used whatever, or a casting of It, but most original props are usually made within a limited budget & small time-window (and it shows).
This build was truly inspired and made with a profound respect for the Film as a whole & it Shows!

I hope the lucky few who get one of these enjoys this exceptionally Rare treat.
And when are we gonna get it?
"Real Soon!!!"

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back