1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Why the crosspost from 3PO Builders?

Hey C,

I have no idea why that member posted my comment on the RPF? I was there to find the knee pistons. The member copied and pasted my posting.

VERY odd

Great build, Sofaking, it's really starting to take shape and it looks very authentic. I have a few greeblies that I might be able to donate to the cause, I'll have to take a look at what I have and what I can part with. I'll post up pics when I've gathered everything up.

Btw, for lights, have you checked out Grainger's? When I first started reading this post I did some searching for the infamous little dome lights and I stumbled across Grainger's which has all sorts of industrial type of light of the sort you see all over the place in Star Wars. The lights in question are called pilot lights and come in all sorts of sizes and styles, and while it may not be practical to buy all of the lights you need from Grainger's (they run ~$7/piece) it's still worth looking at and may give you better serch terms. Here's the link: Search pilot lights - Grainger Industrial Supply

On the subject of greeblies, have you thought of putting some joke greeblies carefully hidden on parts of your builds? Nothing big but I was thinking of small toys like parts of broken Transformers, GI Joe, or even better would be bits and bobs from old, broken Star Wars toys.

Great build, Sofaking, it's really starting to take shape and it looks very authentic. I have a few greeblies that I might be able to donate to the cause, I'll have to take a look at what I have and what I can part with. I'll post up pics when I've gathered everything up.

Btw, for lights, have you checked out Grainger's? When I first started reading this post I did some searching for the infamous little dome lights and I stumbled across Grainger's which has all sorts of industrial type of light of the sort you see all over the place in Star Wars. The lights in question are called pilot lights and come in all sorts of sizes and styles, and while it may not be practical to buy all of the lights you need from Grainger's (they run ~$7/piece) it's still worth looking at and may give you better serch terms. Here's the link: Search pilot lights - Grainger Industrial Supply

On the subject of greeblies, have you thought of putting some joke greeblies carefully hidden on parts of your builds? Nothing big but I was thinking of small toys like parts of broken Transformers, GI Joe, or even better would be bits and bobs from old, broken Star Wars toys.

Hi Riceball,

Thank you for the very kind words. I'm doing my best trying to get the most authentic parts for the console. I'd really like this to be one of those jaw dropping builds when completed. :)

Anything you would like to donate would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for the kind offer. Just let me know if and when you find anything and I'll forward my address.

It's funny you mention Graingers. We have one here in HSV and I visited their store a few weeks ago. They couldnt find any of the LEDs or panel lights I was looking for. But their catalog was so thick and so big you could stop a charging Puma!

Your idea to put "joke" greeblies is brilliant! When the build get to areas like the hull and ceiling areas, I'm sure a few joke items will be added. I always thought it would great to add a toilet... hey... when you gotta go... you gotta go...

Thanks again for the kind words! :)

Hi Gang,

I spent the morning working a new design for the yoke (flight controls)...

Just like before I cut holes out of both the PVC spacer and the back of the yoke. I also drilled a hole at the top of the main body to accept a screw
IMAG0295.jpg

That PVC spacer then slid onto the yoke with the same size hole cut out
IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

I then slipped the yoke onto the body and tightened the screw. The screw goes through the main body and both the PVC spacer and the yoke keeping the yoke in place. And with enough material removed from both the PVC and yoke it allows the yoke to tilt left and right
IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

I also added a little round greeblie to the back of the quad boxes
IMAG0294.jpg

More to come!

Last edited:

OK GANG,

As you all know... any help is greatly appreciated... What the heck are the grab handles the designers used for the yoke?

Falcon20Cockpit.jpg

falconcockpitesb4ne.jpg

I found a few more greeblies for the flight controls...

IMAG0303.jpg

I cut a hole through the middle of the PVC cap and adhered in place
IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

The top kinda matches the prop
Falcon20Cockpit.jpg

More to come

Last edited:

No pitch control? Or were the yokes mounted on a ball joint?

(OT: It sure was lucky that Han carried a medical device designed specifically for wrist stumps in the Falcon.)

Something that I've bee noticing in the b&w photo of the Falcon's cockpit w/Luke & Leia, in the foreground to the left of Leia's hand there are two black controls that are basically a round paddle shape with a handle coming out of them, they look kind of familiar to me for some reason. I'm thinking that they're some sort of theatrical piece in nature, something for either controlling some mechanism on a stage or maybe the gels used on stage lights, something of that sort.

(OT: It sure was lucky that Han carried a medical device designed specifically for wrist stumps in the Falcon.)

stumps were a common injury in that galaxy...same as our own in knights time i reckon

Hey MFP,

I'm working on it I'm working on it! ;) If you notice in the movie still it does appear to be a ball joint. I have NO IDEA what from. If anybody has any idea... Please let me know.

As I mentioned, I was thinking about using a video game flight control stick as the base but not sure how well that would hold up?

Something that I've bee noticing in the b&w photo of the Falcon's cockpit w/Luke & Leia, in the foreground to the left of Leia's hand there are two black controls that are basically a round paddle shape with a handle coming out of them, they look kind of familiar to me for some reason. I'm thinking that they're some sort of theatrical piece in nature, something for either controlling some mechanism on a stage or maybe the gels used on stage lights, something of that sort.

Hi Riceball,

Funny you mention that. I've been meaning to create that very piece out of MDF but just haven't gotten around to it yet. You know how a project can make you jump from one thing to another.

I thought they were part of a throttle assembly but you might be onto something. Back in high school I remember having a snowball fight in the auditorium (good times) and the "cage" had all the curtain and lighting controls - they do look like those levers. hmmmm... Good eye!

Gang,

GREAT NEWS! I've been chatting with a buddy at work who is a master at electronics and LEDs. We're putting together everything to make the console come to life. It will be a slow process but will be well worth it!

Also, I will be away this weekend so there will be no updates Fri-Mon...

Excuse me while I go and subscribe you.
Can't wait to see the progress on this one. :D

Hi Prop,

Thanks much! I'm just as excited as you are. This is where the full interaction with the console begins. Sure it will be neat to tilt the flight control from side to side... but it will be swicthes, dials and the LCD screen that will make it a fun experience - I HOPE!

Last edited:

Hi Gang,

Many of you have asked if I Facebook. And the answer is no. I'm not a Facebook, MySpace, Twiiter, etc fan and never got into those social networking sites - that's not to take awy from anybody else who does, it's just not for me. :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back