1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Personally, I think it would make a huge difference. What's the end game for this project? Do you want it to sit there and look cool (you've got that covered) or do you want people to be able to sit there and play with the buttons?

I agree with adding the buttons and lights. They add a tactile response and feedback to your play when sitting at the controls.

The end game is to donate the project, along with the quad lasers and a few other upcoming surprises, to Chris Lee and his full scale MF build. I originally thought to build 2 consoles - one static version (no lights / practive version) and a second with all the trimmings that would go to Chris Lee... but this version is turning out better than I expected.

Also, I think you guys are correct... the more interactive the console, the more fun it would be to "pretend"... :)

Those were the only square illuminated buttons I could find (there are several video game buttons as well). Does anybody know what they used for the original prop?

Last edited:

sofa king can i just bow down to ur awesomeness!! the console and laser are the best prop builds iv seen, truly stunning work my friend.

chico

I originally thought to build 2 consoles - one static version (no lights / practive version) and a second with all the trimmings that would go to Chris Lee... but this version is turning out better than I expected.

Also, I think you guys are correct... the more interactive the console, the more fun it would be to "pretend"... :)

Those were the only square illuminated buttons I could find (there are several video game buttons as well). Does anybody know what they used for the original prop?

I found it very hard to find illuminated buttons. The ones you found are the only ones I could find too (along with rectangular variations).
BUT, I did find another in the USA -- who don't ship to Australia - you may find them helpful (possibly more cost effective too):

West Florida Components: Search

I would agree with everyone else here: illuminated buttons would just add that little bit to it - but, your finances can't be ignored either ;)

SK, alright, first off, congrats on such an amazing build. You've inspired by your work and work ethic! Outstanding!!!

Secondly, I agree with oldskool, keep your finances in mind. It is absolutely great what you are doing, but don't put yourself out. That being said, I would gladly contribute an order of the push buttons to your build if you go that route. PM me with your address and I'll order a set and send them your way.

The other thing I wanted to mention, you should start a Greeblies discover thread, or website for that matter, cuase I have found your discoveries excellant in helping with my own projects, I am sure for several of us a site or thread that we could go to and find suggestions/links for random parts would be great! Just a thought.

B

I found it very hard to find illuminated buttons. The ones you found are the only ones I could find too (along with rectangular variations).
BUT, I did find another in the USA -- who don't ship to Australia - you may find them helpful (possibly more cost effective too):

West Florida Components: Search

I would agree with everyone else here: illuminated buttons would just add that little bit to it - but, your finances can't be ignored either ;)

Hi oldskool,

I've searched high and low for anything that remotely resembled the panel lights the original designers used - they are as illusive as the dome panel lights!

Thanks for the link to West Florida. I'll definately contact them and see if they'll give me a break on a bulk order.

I was actually very surpirsed that the cost was as low as it was. I'm fortunate enough not to worry about a high price item "here and there", but I certainly can't make it a habit - but that's the pitfalls of our hobby! You just can't wait to see your project completed!

Again... the only thing standing in my way is the actual wiring... LOL

SK, alright, first off, congrats on such an amazing build. You've inspired by your work and work ethic! Outstanding!!!

Secondly, I agree with oldskool, keep your finances in mind. It is absolutely great what you are doing, but don't put yourself out. That being said, I would gladly contribute an order of the push buttons to your build if you go that route. PM me with your address and I'll order a set and send them your way.

The other thing I wanted to mention, you should start a Greeblies discover thread, or website for that matter, cuase I have found your discoveries excellant in helping with my own projects, I am sure for several of us a site or thread that we could go to and find suggestions/links for random parts would be great! Just a thought.

B

Hey Fuzz,

Thanks for the kind words... As I've always said, it's the pat of the backs and "good jobs" that keep me going and try to better myself. :)

I appreciate the offer but your "greater" contribution to the MF Build will be much more appreciated (and you have your own room to build - I'm somewhat prideful - can you tell?). I won't say anything about your "contribution". I'll let you spring that on the forum when you're ready. :)

I will definately start a "Star Wars" specific Greeblie thread (unless you think it should be more general). I'll post everything I have so far from the door stoppers to the mosaic tiles to the pin striping to the water heater hoses. I think that's a GREAT IDEA! Then others can post their own findings as well. :)

I saw this at work last night and thought it would make an awesome greeblie. It's a WABCO ABS brake controller. Unfortunately they're several hundred dollars, so never mind.

I was also thinking about mounting the yokes so they could be manipulated. Maybe mount them at an angle through the dash like the steering column on a car, with an inner/outer sleeve arrangement so you could push/pull and turn them. But what you have going is more screen reminiscent. So really, I've been completely useless here. :cry

Hey MFP,

LOL! The WABCO part is awesome indeed! I could definately see that mounted in the cargo hold of the MF or on a turret gun! GREAT FIND!

I've also been looking at how to manipulate the yokes. Just like the illuminated lights/buttons, I would really like their to be as much interaction as possible. I'm still looking for a cheap LCD picture frame for the monitor/star charts.

I've looked at used video game throttles / flight controls. Although not perfect they do offer a limited amount of range - tilt, side to side, etc... I could strip the part down to its basics and use the guts... but I'm still looking.

Keep those ideas coming! :)

Sounds good my friend. And the Greeblies thread could be Star Wars only, but there are several Alien/Aliens fans out there that could benefit from a thread like that as well.

Overall, i just thought it would be pretty cool to have a running thread that pointed out items and places to find useful parts/tools/links etc.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, and good luck the rest of the way!

Hey Fuzz,

Thanks for the kind words... As I've always said, it's the pat of the backs and "good jobs" that keep me going and try to better myself. :)

I appreciate the offer but your "greater" contribution to the MF Build will be much more appreciated (and you have your own room to build - I'm somewhat prideful - can you tell?). I won't say anything about your "contribution". I'll let you spring that on the forum when you're ready. :)

I will definately start a "Star Wars" specific Greeblie thread (unless you think it should be more general). I'll post everything I have so far from the door stoppers to the mosaic tiles to the pin striping to the water heater hoses. I think that's a GREAT IDEA! Then others can post their own findings as well. :)

Hi Gang,

Just a little MAJOR update to show you! Chris Lee just sent me a box a AWESOME greeblies!

ENJOY!
IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

SWEET!
IMAG0274.jpg

I shall wear with pride! :)
IMAG0275.jpg

I DONT FRIGGIN BELIEVE IT!!!! GRRRRR Check it out

Measured to drill the holes
IMAG0276.jpg

Cut the holes... slipped and pushed the drill too far and cracked the formica - I HATE THAT STUFF
IMAG0277.jpg

DANG IT!!!! I'll try to repair it...
IMAG0278.jpg

BUT... the switches Chris Lee sent fit perfectly!
IMAG0279.jpg

Sassa Frassin Brassin
IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

UGH... DANG IT!

To fix the boo boo i would put something in the hole the same diamiter and putty the break and sand it smooth and repaint the area to match the rest of the panel in that area. maybe glue a peace of wood behind for strength

Last edited:

suck man, sorry to see. I agree with dsh5564, a little bondo, sanding, and paint.

Wow, what an incredible build!
Have you thought about some expanding foam for inside the PVC pipes? Maybe you can slip some wooden dowels in with it to add some rigidity. Some of it is also made to be a pretty strong adhesive and it's obviously light weight. The rotocast resin is a good idea for strength too, though it may be hard to spin some of the parts...

Maybe I skipped over that part, but is that console surface only made of the formica? If so, I really doubt it will take much button pushing and playing. Maybe a piece of sheet metal, at least some flashing, for behind the buttons?
I love the greeblies you have added so far, too. I am surprised there aren't more droid parts! Seems like we in the R2 group are always seeing droid parts in other areas of the SW universe. Like the Volvo dash panels, we see: The reading lights from R2s dome, some of the greeblies from his leg/shoulder areas (we call them the buttons and hydros) and restraining bolts, which look a lot like some of the pipe pieces you have assembled in some of these pics. Many of the R2 and Threepio parts (well, okay all of them) exist in resin and are fairly inexpensive.
Please LMK if you know of any that you need and I will look in my garage. I should have a few extra R2 pieces. :D

Also, have you considered doing a repair for that broken switch that still shows the broken formica (but is strengthened underneath?) The Falcon had as many years under her belt as anything in the SW universe, meaning it was used, cracked, broken and dirty. Maybe there has been a decision to make this more pristine (that I missed) but I thought I would mention it. I would expect to see some wear and tear around the edges, at least.
Great work and very fast! I love the PVC guns. I might have to build something like that for my kid's swingset/fort...

Wow, what an incredible build!
Have you thought about some expanding foam for inside the PVC pipes? Maybe you can slip some wooden dowels in with it to add some rigidity. Some of it is also made to be a pretty strong adhesive and it's obviously light weight. The rotocast resin is a good idea for strength too, though it may be hard to spin some of the parts...

Maybe I skipped over that part, but is that console surface only made of the formica? If so, I really doubt it will take much button pushing and playing. Maybe a piece of sheet metal, at least some flashing, for behind the buttons?
I love the greeblies you have added so far, too. I am surprised there aren't more droid parts! Seems like we in the R2 group are always seeing droid parts in other areas of the SW universe. Like the Volvo dash panels, we see: The reading lights from R2s dome, some of the greeblies from his leg/shoulder areas (we call them the buttons and hydros) and restraining bolts, which look a lot like some of the pipe pieces you have assembled in some of these pics. Many of the R2 and Threepio parts (well, okay all of them) exist in resin and are fairly inexpensive.
Please LMK if you know of any that you need and I will look in my garage. I should have a few extra R2 pieces. :D

Also, have you considered doing a repair for that broken switch that still shows the broken formica (but is strengthened underneath?) The Falcon had as many years under her belt as anything in the SW universe, meaning it was used, cracked, broken and dirty. Maybe there has been a decision to make this more pristine (that I missed) but I thought I would mention it. I would expect to see some wear and tear around the edges, at least.
Great work and very fast! I love the PVC guns. I might have to build something like that for my kid's swingset/fort...

Hi Vaderman,

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I've been thinking about different ways to reinforce the PVC but haven't found a real solid solution yet. I would like to think there is an expanding foam out there that hardens and adds strength but I just haven't spent a lot of time looking - been focusing on other little things.

The console is not made entirely of formica. It has a wood frame. I made the HUGE mistake of using formica with the idea that I could get a perfectly flat surface. I got that... but what I didnt count on was the total frustration using formica on the various edges and angles. That why I've decided to create a 2nd console using mainly MDF. This console will help me work out the bugs and get a better understanding of what construction elements come before others.

I was thinking about using sheet metal for some areas but again... that's another process I'd have to think about before the 2nd console begins.

Droid Parts: Thanks so much for the generous offer! The throttle levers are actually the same knee pistons on C3PO. I've discovered that I'll need 4 "metal" pistons with the end tapped out so I can screw into the existing throttle assembly I have (should I decide to use the assembly). The reading lights, also found on R2, are VERY difficult to find becuase the prop designers turned them around when they mounted them on the console. I have two resin lens and a fishing wheel handle I found online. I was planning combine those items to get a close to accurate look - if there is anyway you an help I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Weathering: You are absolutely correct! She was a beat up and used ship. I began weathering the very front of the console but decided to stop. I thought it would be better to finish the console then weather the entire thing at once. The only issue, there are no detailed images of just the console in full light so I have no idea if designers weathered the actual prop or just let the actors scuff it during filming. I hope that make sense? :)

Again, thanks for the kind words and if there are any parts you would like to donate to the build that would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

Stay Tuned for more updates!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back