eFX Reveals Stormtrooper Hero Legend Edition Helmet!

I dont know why eFX went to fiberglass as well.Guess they will just copy the MR TK helmet and call it the "Legend" line.I too would rather have a ABS TK helmet,guess I might and try and get a SDS the true "Legend" line.

I dont know why eFX went to fiberglass as well.Guess they will just copy the MR TK helmet and call it the "Legend" line.I too would rather have a ABS TK helmet,guess I might and try and get a SDS the true "Legend" line.

Doesn't the ABS yellow with age and heat? As opposed to fiberglass it'd seem to be better for long term durability.

This could all be solved by a fan getting hold of a Hero and casting it! :) if only it were that easy.

I think what people have to understand is that forming, trimming and assembling a vacuum formed Stormtrooper helmet accurately is incredibly time consuming and a slow process. Trying to commercialize that would be ridiculously hard. Teaching a factory worker (who may not be a Star Wars fan) about the importance of the smallest detail with regards to trimming or detailing while making it commercially viable would not be easy at all. Look at the inconsistencies of the Ainsworth original film helmets.

Trying to replicate human error and inconsistent assembly and painting etc (which is what we are doing with the Stormtrooper helmets) is really hard.

Joe

Doesn't the ABS yellow with age and heat? As opposed to fiberglass it'd seem to be better for long term durability.

Yeah fiberglass would hold up better than ABS for long term,but at first eFX claimed it would be true to orginal now it's fiberglass.I have learned to take what eFX says with a grain of salt.

I am quoting efx "Our Legend Stormtrooper helmet will not only replicate the original helmet in process, but all materials, as well."

If they are going to make this out of fiberglass and the oringinals were made from abs plastic and vacuformed, Then these will not be as accurate as answorths helemts so i would not want this in my collection. This is false advertiseng too.

That description shows is our original intention (which still might end up being the case).

Not to be confused with what EFX defines the criteria for a product to qualify for Legend status (see my previous posts).

Throughout the development process, items are subject to change especially if we feel it is for the greater good all things considered.
In most instances (if not all) changes are generally made before the time of pre-order.

Look at the x-wing helmet that was suppose to be so accurate yet it had painted rebel decals and the orginal were painted on.

Originals used decals for the common symbols such as the rebel logo. IMO, eFX did a pretty good, if not the best, X-Wing helmet ever, and you know what? It's fiberglass... yes, fiberglass. Awesome, right?

What is the deal with it not being ABS? If it's painted white, realistically, unless you are tapping it with your hand how is anyone going to know what it's made of?

That the deal ABS doesn't need to be painted it comes in gloss white sheets from the factory, you just form it as is and you get a gloss white helmet no white paint required.

Huge difference between ABS and fiberglass very easy to distinguish by just looking inside the helmet.

GFollano

Last edited:
Originals used decals for the common symbols such as the rebel logo. IMO, eFX did a pretty good, if not the best, X-Wing helmet ever, and you know what? It's fiberglass... yes, fiberglass. Awesome, right?

Huuum not really, I wish it was Vacuumformed like the movie originals, for the true connaisseurs the EFX X-wing helmet is not accurate but still a very nice replica.

GFollano

ABS is not painted it comes in gloss white sheets, you just form it as is and you get a gloss white finish helmet no white paint needed, huge difference between ABS and fiberglass very easy to distinguish by just looking inside the helmet.

GFollano

Yes I know, but if you paint a fiberglass helmet with a white gloss paint then it'll look like the ABS. And since we never saw the inside of a Stormtrooper helmet in the movie, what does that matter?

Huuum not really, I wish it was Vacuumformed like the movie originals, for the true connaisseurs the EFX X-wing helmet is not accurate but still a very nice replica.

GFollano

Canon? Not really. Accurate? The most of what is avaiable nowadays.

GF said:
Huge difference between ABS and fiberglass very easy to distinguish by just looking inside the helmet.

As GINO has stated a lot of times, eFX is not trying to replicate interiors so having to look to the interior to see if it's fiberglass is an irrelevant point. The exterior will look the same.

I know you all want canon and accurate helmet, and I also want to have screen used ones, but have lost the point that you (plural) are not the whole market of replicas, I don't think you/we are even a 40% of the eFX customers.

I mean, I'm sure they hear what we say and, if possible, apply, but they're not doing wathever you want them to do because you want it so.

What is the deal with it not being ABS? If it's painted white, realistically, unless you are tapping it with your hand how is anyone going to know what it's made of?

I'm think you are missing the whole point of it being a replica of the original for collectors of accurate replicas. We would know. ;)

I'm think you are missing the whole point of it being a replica of the original for collectors of accurate replicas. We would know. ;)

I just don't get this. Lots of props in movies are total pieces of ****, made out material that they practically pulled out of a garbage can. If they had a bigger budget they'd have probably made them out of fiberglass originally, but vac formed helmets were faster and cheaper for what they could do for the large groups of Stormtroopers. I understand the whole thing about making sure the ears are the right shape, the size of the teeth or whatever, making sure there's the right number of pipings, etc, I just do not understand the obsession with making sure it's made out of the same inferior material when it could be made out of a superior material but look exactly the same and feel the same from the outside. It's still going to have the lopsided uneven look, it's going to have the warping that the originals had, it's just going to be studier material, right?

Last edited:
Cool. I'll pass as I own a number of Stormtrooper helmets (and love them!).

Wish eFX would get tackle something other than constant rehashes of Stormtrooper helmets.

I think what people have to understand is that forming, trimming and assembling a vacuum formed Stormtrooper helmet accurately is incredibly time consuming and a slow process. Trying to commercialize that would be ridiculously hard. Teaching a factory worker (who may not be a Star Wars fan) about the importance of the smallest detail with regards to trimming or detailing while making it commercially viable would not be easy at all. Look at the inconsistencies of the Ainsworth original film helmets.

Trying to replicate human error and inconsistent assembly and painting etc (which is what we are doing with the Stormtrooper helmets) is really hard.

Joe

Good post. ^

Guys, trust me I get it.
We realize that the small percentage of hardcores would be disappointed IF we ended up having to go the fiberglass route.

But in the world of licensed collectibles, at times you have to separate your emotional desires from what is the logical choice and what is best for the company overall.
This is still something I personally struggle with from time to time because ultimately I'm still one of you.

And I understand the desire for some to vent their frustrations (I've been there), but the reality is all the complaining in the world isn't going to magically alter the reasonings in why we would choose to go an alternate route...IF we were to end up doing so.

Keeping in mind we wouldn't go an alternate direction because it's our personal taste or preference, it would be because it was what we felt was best for the viability of the business and the satisfaction of the majority of our overall customer base.

While it might have been relatively easy to separate out a small partition of Vader helmets as a separate edition, it most likely wouldn't be as easy or viable to do so if it meant making them in two different materials.
In terms of production, that would be like offering two completely different products vs offering just a variation of one.

While it is difficult to accept, (WE the prop accuracy fanatics) make up a very VERY small portion of the EFX customer base.
It may appear to be larger than it is to us because we live on prop forums where people are very vocal, and that is our frame of reference.
But it is an inaccurate perception.

An overwhelming majority of our customer base would actually prefer to have a near 100% screen accurate replica as long as the biggest difference was just an alternate material selection and just as long as the look (shape, sharpness, detailing, etc..) are accurate to the original from the outside (as seen when being displayed).
And if that means we can improve product quality/consistency, reduce the time of development/production, reduce returns, and increase the number of Legend products we can make throughout the course of the license, then surely we would seriously consider it.

As I said before it's impossible to please everyone all the time.
We strive to do the best we can, while trying to do so not at the detriment of the business (although I've seen Bryan go way above and beyond for individual customers many times - he's just awesome like that).

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back