Great movies almost wrecked by co-stars.

I wouldn't really classify this as a "great" movie, but it was enjoyable enough, except for one character... Ken Jeong in The Hangover. I actually like Ken Jeong in just about everything else I have seen him in, but he was insufferable in that movie.

Thank the maker someone else feels this way. That character is ridiculous. Indy's life is threatened on a regular basis, and he kills people wherever he goes, so, yeah, he'll bring a little kid along for the fun. Again, nothing against the actor, but Shortround is an unbelievably bad idea. "You call him Dr Jones, doll." Oy! The Jar-Jar of the Indy flms.
By comparison, Short Round is nowhere near as annoying as Willie Scott. If Willie had been written as a strong female character instead of a screaming, whining idiot, Short Round would have been more irritating. As it stands, Willie Scott is the Jar-Jar of the Indy films in my opinion.

I agree about Natalie Portman. She didn't wreck it, but it was a poor performance. She's a research scientist, but then gushes like a school girl whenever Thor is near.
She acted more grown-up in Leon, when she was 12.
Again, I think this is because of the way the character was written rather than Portman's performance.

That said, I haven't been particularly impressed with any of Portman's performances since Léon. But her performance in that movie was so strong, especially for someone her age, that she set the bar pretty high for herself.

Keira Knightly in every "Pirates" movie. Such a hack. A pretty hack. But a hack nonetheless. I watch my 5-year old play-act with his toy trucks with more depth, intensity, and believability. Oh, and would someone please hold her down and stuff a sandwich down her throat?

I'd like to volunteer for this task... pretty please?

Keira Knightly in every "Pirates" movie. Such a hack. A pretty hack. But a hack nonetheless. I watch my 5-year old play-act with his toy trucks with more depth, intensity, and believability. Oh, and would someone please hold her down and stuff a sandwich down her throat?

I know Goonies is a must see 80s movie but even in the 80s as a kid I didn't like it. Most movies with Steve Guttenberg in them as he's the 80s version of Adam Sandler.

Keira Knightly...Oh, and would someone please hold her down and stuff a sandwich down her throat?
:lol Especially if it's one of those six-foot-long "We're having a party" subs. And follow it up with a few deep dish pizzas; repeat with every other severely underweight actress working today.

I think the absolute worse has to be Keanu Reeves in Much ado about nothing, he was so horrible in that movie that I have to believe that he was forced on Kenneth Branagh by the studio. You had all of these wonderful actors including Michael Keaton and Denzel Washington doing a bang up job delivering Shakespeare and then Keanu appears on the screen with the flattest most wooden deliveries in any movie. His acting was so bad and he was so miscast that he made Jake Loyd's performance as Anakin look like an Oscar winning performance by comparison and unlike Jake Loyd, Keanu had no excuse for such bad acting, he wasn't a little kid in his first movie ever and cast because he sort of like Mark Hammil as a kid.

Last edited:
Hugo Weaving as Elrond in the Lord of the Rings.

I don't know why he just seemed so out of place cast as Elrond. I couldn't get the image of Agent Smith from the Matrix out of my head.

This seems more like a you problem than Hugo Weaving, no offense.

Spider-man 3 - Topher Grace

Not that I really love that movie but to me he was pretty much the worst possible choice for Venom/Eddie Brock.

I liked Kirsten Dunst in the spidey movies or maybe it was just that one scene in the rain.....hmmmm.

I blame Spielberg and the writers for that; Capshaw just gave them the performance they wanted. But, yeah, Willie Scott ruins the movie for me every time, and it's my least favorite of the Indiana Jones quadrilogy.

I think this actually covers a LOT of the complaints folks have in this thread. It's not so much the actor who ruins it, as it is the character. I mean, take Chris Tucker's character in 5th Element. As stated, he's supposed to be annoying. He's written that way and, to play that specific role, he knocks it out of the park. He does EXACTLY what they want him to do. Same with Kat Dennings in Thor. They wanted Two Broke Archaeology Research Assistants and they got it. It was exactly what the script called for, and she did the job admirably. Her job was to be the wiseass sidekick friend. It's not her fault that the role is written annoyingly.

I find kids in movies obnoxious 99% of the time and he for sure was thanks to that writing. I would laugh if they brought him back in the next indy movie all grown up.

When they're included for "cute" factor or "so the kids can relate" or whatever other manipulative not-for-story-purposes reason, yeah, they're annoying. Particularly when they're "child actors." I think casting kids is REALLY difficult because all too often their performances seem unnatural and too knowing, and as if they're too "adult" because they live their lives in this adult world. It's weird. On the flipside, if you get a kid who can't act, you end up with Jake Lloyd. Although, even there, I tend to blame the writing and direction. I mean, how are you going to convincingly work with "Whopeee" as a line? What the hell can you do with that line?!

I agree about Natalie Portman. She didn't wreck it, but it was a poor performance. She's a research scientist, but then gushes like a school girl whenever Thor is near.
She acted more grown-up in Leon, when she was 12.

Natalie Portman as the love interest in Thor is WAY worse than Kat Dennings, in my opinion. I just got ZERO chemistry between her and Chris Hemsworth. Like, really, this is the woman you consider giving up your godly powers for? THIS woman? Portman's a talented actress, but she's just....wrong for that part.

I know Goonies is a must see 80s movie but even in the 80s as a kid I didn't like it. Most movies with Steve Guttenberg in them as he's the 80s version of Adam Sandler.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Cocoon or Three Men and a Baby or Don't Tell Her It's Me? 'Cause he's not in The Goonies.

Keanu in Bram Stokers Dracula. His accent is like nails across a chalkboard.

Ugh. So true.

Oh, for that matter, Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta. Her accent there is another one of those "I'm an American doing what I think a generically British accent sounds like." It's not even RP/BBC English. It's just "vaguely British-like." It's horrid. Although, in fairness, a lot of British and Irish actors do awful "broad-R" not-really-American accents.

The thing with Guttenberg is he started out fine. He's got a small part in The Boys from Brazil and a big role in Diner, which he's great in. He's also palatable in Cocoon, although the seasoned actors steal the show. I think the terrible Police Academy films did him in.

Don Cheadle in Iron Man 2. All the more painful because Terrence Howard had such perfect chemistry with RDJ in the first film.

Mariah Carey in Don't Mess With Zohan.
I know Adam Sandler's schtick includes cameos with iconic celebrities. Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore and Billy Idol in The Wedding Singer were spot-on. But Mariah Carey simply didn't work and even detracted from the film. I don't know if it was her fault or her agent's fault that she was cast but it really didn't work.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back