XRobots Iron Man: Video added page 22, fours years into 4 mins

Re: XRobots Iron Man Mk6 UPDATED: Leg moulds are done

When I did the arms I did plug one end which with plastic pots which resulted in the casts below. You could leave both ends open if you don't tip the mould around in that direction too much. I do all the casting by hand, you'd really want a totally sealed mould for use with a machine.

More pictures of those bits: XRobots.co.uk - casting and finishing
Cool, thanks for the extra info. It seems like you do a bit of rotocasting - have you considered building a budget DIY rotocaster?. I've seen a few plans floating around and it looks fairly straight forward.

Cool, thanks for the extra info. It seems like you do a bit of rotocasting - have you considered building a budget DIY rotocaster?. I've seen a few plans floating around and it looks fairly straight forward.

Yes I've considered it, but I'm not planning on going into production, so for one offs I'm ok doing it manually. Also, I'd need totally sealed moulds - most of these are open, so I'd have to remake all the moulds...

I have never wanted to 1. do a Pep, or 2. make an Iron Man all that much, UNTIL I found this thread. Now I'm wondering where I can find the time and patience to do so!

I've finished all my leg moulds, and made a video about rotocasting by hand (without a machine):

XRobots - Rotocasting my Iron Man Suit Costume legs by hand using Smooth-on 65D - YouTube

YT05.jpg

Re: XRobots Iron Man Mk6 UPDATED: Light up eye lenses that you can see through

Nice to see a different method used for the eyes rather than just a slit. Are the string of lights you use the same ones you can pick up for the pound store?

Nice to see a different method used for the eyes rather than just a slit. Are the string of lights you use the same ones you can pick up for the pound store?

I think they were £2.99 for two on eBay with free delivery, so probably.

You, my good sir are a clever clever man.

like the doctor says: brilliant!
your ideas are just too awesome :D

Very cool, I'd love to do something similar with mine where you can switch between two lighting systems, one for conventions and one for when it's sitting on my shelf.

I need to make something with a helmet now so that I can make the eyes light up like yours.

Thanks for the tutorials and progress reports. They have been very helpful with my own (first) build.

Thanks guys, the next video will be the motorised faceplate and electronics explanation. Basically each 'feature' of the suit (helmet, hand repulsors, arc reactor), will be on a serial bus with a central microcontroller to control everything. So this means I only need to run three wires to each feature including the helmet to activate the faceplate and turn the lights on and off etc, or I could make any feature wireless if it had it's own batteries which could be good for the helmet.

Thanks guys, the next video will be the motorised faceplate and electronics explanation. Basically each 'feature' of the suit (helmet, hand repulsors, arc reactor), will be on a serial bus with a central microcontroller to control everything. So this means I only need to run three wires to each feature including the helmet to activate the faceplate and turn the lights on and off etc, or I could make any feature wireless if it had it's own batteries which could be good for the helmet.

Will you be explaining how to program the servos on the MC or just the basics of how it all works? I did look into servo controlling but i have never done any electronics before and it just confused me lol. so might end up just going with Hyperdyne Labs servo kit, its not that bad of a price for what it is either.

I'll be using a servo controller and a Picaxe, the same as this project: XRobots.co.uk - Android 11

There's code at the bottom of the article for making servos move and lots if support at picaxe.co.uk for the microcontroller.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back