XRobots Iron Man: Video added page 22, fours years into 4 mins

Re: XRobots Iron Man Mk6 UPDATED: sealed foam, now moulded and cast in plastic

every thread I look at i'm more and more impressed...i'm new to all the costume modelling world but man, guys like you are seriously talented, real inspiration.

You've inspired me. I'm going to go back to working on my Iron Man suit.

Ok, so not much of an update on this as such, but I've backtracked a little and started a brain dump onto YouTube. Of specific relevance to this project are two videos so far on foam building, sealing & painting, and how I modified the pepakura templates manually for use with foam. The next one will be about moulding and casting the rigid pieces, followed by finishing and strapping etc.

video_IM1.jpg

XRobots - Iron Man & War Machine pepakura costume suit foam build, sealing and painting process - YouTube

video_IM2.jpg

XRobots - How to modify pepakura templates for foam, includes my Iron Man costume suit - YouTube

I have a number of other How-To videos on various subjects in my channel, and more to follow.

Re: XRobots Iron Man Mk6 UPDATED: 3D printed part on Pg7

How did you sort out the inperfection at the seams of the foam pieces?

Mostly I made sure my foam build was pretty good so there weren't too many, but after the PVA was applied this allowed car body filler to stick, so if there were any really big gaps then they could be filled before the plastidip and paint.

However, I'm testing a plastic coating process for foam which I'll be posting about shortly.

Cant wait to see your progress. Ive been thinking of getting a cheap paint sprayet and trying to apply the pva glue that way watered down. For a smooth coat.
Were you thinking smoothcast 300 for the plasic coat or something closer to plastidip?

I was thinking rotocast from smooth-on might be flexable enough as well. Did you waterdown the PVA or use it strait fron the jug?

I have a spray gun for painting and was wondering about spraying on the PVA for a smooth coat. If I try it I'll let you know how it works.

Ok, so not much of an update on this as such, but I've backtracked a little and started a brain dump onto YouTube. Of specific relevance to this project are two videos so far on foam building, sealing & painting, and how I modified the pepakura templates manually for use with foam. The next one will be about moulding and casting the rigid pieces, followed by finishing and strapping etc.

video_IM1.jpg

XRobots - Iron Man & War Machine pepakura costume suit foam build, sealing and painting process - YouTube

video_IM2.jpg

XRobots - How to modify pepakura templates for foam, includes my Iron Man costume suit - YouTube

I have a number of other How-To videos on various subjects in my channel, and more to follow.

Great work. I'm from Southampton too have we met? You may have bumped into my creatures at a Con or something :lol

Paul

Great work. I'm from Southampton too have we met? You may have bumped into my creatures at a Con or something :lol

Paul

Hi Paul, I don't think we've met. I'd like to meet more prop/costume people locally but so far not had much luck finding any (not sure where they hide). Drop me a PM if you like.

I've now at last finished the leg moulds, all of them are done - I've used a process to make a one piece silicone mould with one seam line, which means there's less cleanup in the cast and less chance of it leaking during rotocasting.

Full details of the process are here: XRobots.co.uk - Wrap-around Moulds

Here's a picture of one of the moulds, but all four leg pieces are done:

IM6_103.jpg

IM6_104.jpg

Re: XRobots Iron Man Mk6 UPDATED: Leg moulds are done

When I did the arms I did plug one end which with plastic pots which resulted in the casts below. You could leave both ends open if you don't tip the mould around in that direction too much. I do all the casting by hand, you'd really want a totally sealed mould for use with a machine.

More pictures of those bits: XRobots.co.uk - casting and finishing

IM6_076.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back