Inspector Gadget Costume - Halloween 2010

This is going to be great aznight! By the way are you using anything
related to the 2 IG movies in this costume or is it all cartoon inspired?

Thanks for the motivating comments everyone!

@GeneralFROSTY - That's a great idea to watch some episodes to get me motivated again. I'm going to head over to my Hulu queue and watch a few this week.

@darthravenger - I'm trying to keep the costume cartoon-based. I enjoyed the Gadget films, but I really want to pay homage to the original cartoon.

Next up is some work on the hat. I've decided on the basic design of the arms extending out of the hand and need to build and paint them. I also have to finish the other yellow hat hand. It needs to be wired up and stuffed. I'm also tempted to do something with my Gadget shoes. I bought a pair of plain grey sneakers and I'm toying with the idea of attaching some type of rocket-like fixtures to the sides of them. They will of course be non-functional, but might look cool.

After that, I'm probably going to consider this project complete. I've essentially run out of fingers in the main Gadget gloves since I can't put anything in the right thumb since it's being used to activate the two buttons. The left hand is pretty tied up with wiring for the Gadget phone, so not much room there either. If I put anything into the other three fingers, I will likely not be able to bend the fingers inwards to work the Gadget phone.

This is pure RAD!!!

The gloves alone are going to be a hit!

It would be awesome if you were on the phone and someone came up saying "you pretending to be on the phone?" And you hold your thumb to their ear for the person on the other line to talk to them! Too cool!

The working Gadget Glove Phone is... F-ing Brilliant! Kudos to you!

I wanna see a gadget demo video of the whole thing when it's done.

Good looking hat so far. I went to a Halloween party once where there was an Inspector Gadget and he had attached a mini ceiling fan to his hat as the gadget copter and had handles coming out as well! The rest of his costume was pretty basic. Just a trench coat, no other gadgets really.

Not much progress to share, but I did get the new band done on the hat. This new band matches the lighter color of the trench coat just like the cartoon. You can also see the beginning of my work on the hat hands.

photo2.jpg

If you put rockets on your shoes, one way to make them appear to "work" would be to put a set of those lights on them that people put on the tire valve caps on bicycles. They make sets that only blink when they are moved, add these and every time you take a step they blink. They are pretty bright so they will be highly visible.

If you put rockets on your shoes, one way to make them appear to "work" would be to put a set of those lights on them that people put on the tire valve caps on bicycles. They make sets that only blink when they are moved, add these and every time you take a step they blink. They are pretty bright so they will be highly visible.

Excellent idea! I haven't quite determined if I'm going to include the rockets or not, but if I do, this will be included!

Yeah, I'm thinking a police badge in one "hat hand" and a magnifying glass in the other. In the middle will be a small rotating red police light and I'm going to embed a siren in the hat too.

The gadget phone is completed. I disassembled an old bluetooth headset and and old cell phone for parts. Here's the before:
d73cec3e.jpg

Disassembled:
b91cb72b.jpg

Rewired:
btheadset.jpg

Completed:
2e62a463.jpg

I implemented the dummy retractable antenna in the thumb and extended the speaker and microphone from the bluetooth headset to reach the pinky and thumb. It works great and so far everyone I've shown is just blown away at how cool it is and yet how simple the concept ended up being.

The wife and I have started replacing the gray buttons on the coat with white buttons to look more like the cartoon version.
OMG!! So your glove actually works?! That's awesome!

Hello,
I stumbled upon this page while looking for items to complete my costume. I too am going as inspector gadget, but am a female...it should be interesting. I know it's not going to be just like the original (it'll be like inspector gadget w/man boobs hehehe) Just wanted to see if you could give me any tips on how to make the glove. =D I would truly appreciate your help. I just purchased the trench coat and fedora, I'm very excited!

Last edited:
Hello,
I stumbled upon this page while looking for items to complete my costume. I too am going as inspector gadget, but am a female...it should be interesting. I know it's not going to be just like the original (it'll be like inspector gadget w/man boobs hehehe) Just wanted to see if you could give me any tips on how to make the glove. =D I would truly appreciate your help. I just purchased the trench coat and fedora, I'm very excited!

Good luck with your costume! The gadget phone is actually pretty simple if you have very basic electronics experience. You need to have a regular bluetooth headset...smaller is not better in this scenario as the smaller/high-tech ones may have soldered the speaker or microphone to the board to save space. Open the headset up and you should see both a speaker and a microphone...each should have two wires (red/black) running to them. Snip these wires and extend them with similar gauge wire to reach the thumb and pinky fingers of the glove. You may have to drill holes in the casing of the headset to run the wires out of. Once you are all wired back up, seal up the case and glue the body and extended mic and speaker into the glove. When gluing the case in the glove, make sure you have access to the charging port to charge the headset.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to help if I can.

They made a "gadget phone" (but didn't call it that) a few weeks back on the G4 TV Show "It's Effin' Science". Try going to the G4 website and look up the show-- they may have a video posted which showed how they made it. Good luck!

Sweet. The police light in the hat is a crucial accessory, and looks awesome. I would try to add the motor and rotors of a remote controlled helicopter in there... I know, It'd be way off scale, but still very cool.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back