Galactica (78) Launch Tube....

Clerval

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Right, after a 'few' days staring at all of three images of the tube (two screencaps and an In Progress shot, thanks to Dale over at ByYourCommand) I'm hoping that some folks here are wanting to get into building a SS launch tube for their Vipers.

I've been able to come up with a few things, but have a specific need for info. I'm working on a project to digitally recreate the launch sequence. Now, that doesn't mean I'm not interested in building an actual tube, so I'm dropping this thread in here instead of OT. The digital one is where I'm going to prove out any theories and just happen to have a kick-ass mesh when I'm done.

So, to make matters worse, I hadn't expected to need anything up here during my relocation, so a LOT is still sitting in Houston. i.e. if I didn't shoot photos or scan some things myself or if it's not on studioscale... (I've got a bit on SS.com of my own), I simply don't have it with me. If anyone's interested in jumping in , please let me know. Like I said, I've got two reasons for wanting to do this, and hell, it looks quite simple. (HA) If you happen to be in northern CA and are interested, there's a good chance of getting together and going over things as well.

Before anyone jumps in, yes, I could BS a lot of it, but what fun is that? Greebles (now nurnies thanks to a friend, RonT) are greebles, right? Um, no. I really want to nail this. I put a lot of time into the Vipers I built, so now...

Second, I already know I'm going to have to do a good deal of BSing even with best guesses, sitting and sussing out perspective and thereby form, any known bits or angles and measurements I've made and now must stick with. Unless I meet someone who's got kits, my calipers won't do me a damn bit of good.

Anyway, the best of what I've worked out, the tube is 10" across and looks to be 6' long. A bit of reading, I came on the suggestion that a sonotube was used (think I read that at RI). Read up about them and though things may have changed over 30 years sure enough, at least currently, one is available at 10/6.

Got the 10 when I spotted a part from the 8RAD (A10), and a good bit of it's sprue, as detail in two shots:

First, as the Vipers launch, you switch to a rear shot and on the right hand side, you see that the bit is there. Second, in the In Progress pic, that detail is in the very first segment, the only one you can clearly make out.

There is much more detail in there as well, and my thought on that is this: no lighting or heavy detail were left in that area, so as not to blow out or crowd or muss up the photography/scale. Remember stories of Joe Johnston and 'The Editor'? I imagine the tube met a similar fate when the shot was lined up.

I had thought this beast would be Leopold and MK bits all over, but I'm having a hell of a time picking them out. So, it's off to the usual suspects.

For my purposes, as you can't see all the way down the tube in either launch shot, I'm going to take three segments and build as seen from the front, and the other three as from the back.

Best info I have managed to ask for and read on suggests, heavily, that the original tube was destroyed. There's a shot of an explosion in the launch tube as the Viper heads towards camera, but as with all of that stuff it's optical composites of stock explosions. My assumption is that this was a matter of 'striking the set' as it were. Sunuva-------

Right, that's about it. Going to cross-post this to RI and see if anyone else is interested.

Should you happen to have any thoughts or have picked up a bit or two on the tube details or (especially?) the sled that the V sits on, I'd love to hear.

Gotta get back to it, deadlines and all that. Thanks for reading this far.

near.jpg

far.jpg

bench.jpg

Last edited:
Using the few parts I know to nail the scale, now to separate the layers out appropriately, then on to a couple of days of poring over Galactica parts, and then back to modeling, whether I have any luck nailing new donors or not.

tube02_600.jpg

I worked out that the tube is going to have to be a 4', not a 6'. So in my thoughts, that's a pretty major step. One of the fellas at RI was able to help me nail the truck bits, and I worked out the dims from images found online. Usual way of doing things.

Last edited:
No, greebles. -blies probably came along after Ron and nurnies... I've heard greebles for years, greeblies only more recently. Anyone else have a thought on the -es -ies? :)

And, thank you!

I have also heard that "greebles" and "nurnies" predate "greeblies"... I have always said "greeblies". Maybe it's a regional thing, like hoagie/grinder/sub/hero, or pop/soda.

Looking at "greebles" and "nurnies" written together. I suppose it could be a combination making "greeblies".

Nurbles, perhaps?

Very cool project, Clerval!

Thank you! Taking today off from it, can only stare at the monitor so many days in a row.

I was hoping to entice a few of the ID studs into blowing some brain cells here, but as it's just NY now, maybe they'll take a look not too far off. As I made my case: all of my kits ore just over 2000 miles away... and it's been a long time since I've gone on a hunt.

Last edited:
Well, I'm fried. Unless someone's got any ideas about these few bits, I'm going to have to BS a lot more than I hoped! I looked over nearly everything I could find on the G itself and recognized squat. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of detail lost in the shadows. I was able to do a bit from a side view of the launch by minimizing the effects of the motion blur, but that only confirmed a couple of larger parts in the front end. :cry

TubeNoGlory.jpg

I have also heard that "greebles" and "nurnies" predate "greeblies"... I have always said "greeblies". Maybe it's a regional thing, like hoagie/grinder/sub/hero, or pop/soda.

From the Journal of the Making of The Empire Strikes Back:

Greebly (greeblies) - "If we can't give a name to something we call it a 'greebly'. Greebly is a word George Lucas coined on Star Wars for something you can't otherwise define."
- Frank Burton, Property Department Head The Empire Strikes Back

That's what I've always heard. I'm not sure George coined the word. He probably heard it around the model shop.

That lore has always been my understanding...

From the Journal of the Making of The Empire Strikes Back:

Greebly (greeblies) - "If we can't give a name to something we call it a 'greebly'. Greebly is a word George Lucas coined on Star Wars for something you can't otherwise define."
- Frank Burton, Property Department Head The Empire Strikes Back

That's what I've always heard. I'm not sure George coined the word. He probably heard it around the model shop.

the big square you have marked in the upper left hand corner:
The narrow pipe looking thing that connects to the cylinder - it looks like a piece from the 1/35 tamiya quad gun tractor / field gun

The quad gun... I think I see what you mean, but the details aren't quite there. BUT- it gives me a type of part to focus on. Thanks! That part would be about 2" or so.

It's 4' (6 8" segments, not 12" as I first thought) long, 10" across.

:)

I know some of you guys like the new Galactica better, but I've always felt that the design sensibility of the original show was infinitely superior to the Sci-Fi drek...

With the exception of the Tandy TRS-80 bridge computers (yeah, I thought they looked out of place on the bridge, too, as a kid!), the show looks better designed than the current Sci-Fi version. Heck, the title ship is at least twenty times better looking than that CGI monstrosity the newer show uses.

Give this to Ralph McQuarrie -- when that guy was on, HE WAS ON!

He had one solid decade designing for great science fiction franchises (Star Wars, the original Galactica, The Black Hole, etc.) and I don't think there's been another person since that's been his equal.

The original Galactica and all its armament and spacecraft handling features were great. It was truly one of the great miniatures built for its time...

I think they did a good job on the new series.

Woo - McQuarrie did black hole too. Wow - he is way underrated.

"greeblies" dates to at least as early as a '75 preprod sketch by Joe Johnston.

A friend of mine (Roger Sorensen) and I have used the word Greeblies (and their larger counterparts, Greeboles) at LEAST as early as '75. I want to say as early as '74, as I know I used the word in high school, and I graduated in '74. Roger was the first person I'd ever heard use the word... I don't know where he picked it up, but I stole it from him.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back