Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Re: Building the 8' Star Destroyer

I watched the episode of " Bizarre Foods " again from Paris the other day and I watched to see if I saw a guy carry model kits in the background. The food he tired looks incredible. One of these days I'm going to get to Paris just to see this model and try the food.

I was just able to register, but i have been following this and the Devistator ID thread for some time...........I am amazed at the knowledge of the people n this board.........I am interested in building a half scale SD...........I have already started buying alot of models kits...............just not real sure where to start

I was just able to register, but i have been following this and the Devistator ID thread for some time...........I am amazed at the knowledge of the people n this board.........I am interested in building a half scale SD...........I have already started buying alot of models kits...............just not real sure where to start

I think you should start to build a mockup from carboard, to see the size you want (sometimes we're surprised by the size when we see it in 3D), trying to get the overall shapes and proportions right. Then build an armature and start building your hull, superstructures etc...

I think you should start to build a mockup from carboard, to see the size you want (sometimes we're surprised by the size when we see it in 3D), trying to get the overall shapes and proportions right. Then build an armature and start building your hull, superstructures etc...

that's great pointers. , You gotta start with the snap kits before you move to the glue....

Thats for the advice, started some drawings yesterday. I have a fair amout of model experience and costuming with the 501st(4years) so i do know the the time and affeort involved in a build like this.

One other queastion....can many of the same kits be used for both studio and half scale, or would i need to drop down to 1/48 and 1/72 scale or scratchbuild alot of the parts.

Thanks again,
Chris

In 2006 I scratched and kitbashed a 1/2.25 SS Star Destroyer, I used some kits that were used on the 1:1 8 footer (mainly 1/700 battleships), but I used 1/72 and 1/76 tanks instead of the 1/35 stuff...
On the 8 footer there are suspension parts from a 1/76 sherman, I used the sherman (well M10 !) suspension part from a 1/72 Finemolds Tie Fighter which gave the exact size for the parts.

Same with the AMT DV's TIE Fighter wing panels used on the 8 footer, I used the wingstar from a Finemolds regular TIE Fighter (the wings from the original TIE fighter were made from a regular wingstar) and scratched the rest...

Here is some pics of my 41" Star Destroyer :

ISD240.jpg

ISD243.jpg

ISD247.jpg

ISD249.jpg

ISD251.jpg

ISD253.jpg

ISD254.jpg

ISD265.jpg

ISD266.jpg

ISD258.jpg

My goodness that's beautiful!

Both your star destroyers look utterly amazing Julien, and that you're working on a 8 foot version on your own is nothing short of mind-blowing!

It looks perfect!

Thank you both ! :)

Ive had (still have actually) some health issues, I hope I'll be OK soon enough to work on the 8 footer !

Hey J, sorry to hear your'e poorly mate, get well soon bro, that SD's begging for you to get back to her.
Take care
Stu

Hope it's nothing serious Julien. Get well soon and keep going with all your amazing builds. JT

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back