The Magic That Used To Be Saturday Morning

Yep...we used to sleep in sleeping bags in the living room on Friday nights and wake up to cartoons and “Cocoa Pebbles” on Saturday mornings. Great times.

I remember “In The News” playing during Saturday morning commercial breaks.

Check this one out, it even includes a promo for “Star Wars” during its first re-release run in the theaters:

Last edited:
I was a product of the 60's and early 70's Saturday morning cartoons. I remember when we got our first color TV in 1969 and seeing all of them in color for the first time.

I had a recent craving for all of the Chuck Jones Looney Tunes cartoons recently and rather than try to buy a bunch of collections, I found that there's a semi-new streaming service, Boomerang, that has lots of WB and Hannah Barbara cartoons on it. It got me thinking how cool it would be to have a streaming service / subscription that would recreate a saturday morning by putting together the next episode sequentially of several different cartoons, complete with vintage commercials for stuff like cereal, action figures, etc. You could choose your lineup and have a setting to allow or hide commercials. They wouldn't be real commercials, but rather just part of the experience. You could even pick a 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's experience. and each time you played it, it would play the next episode of each show in your lineup.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back