The Dark Tower (Post-release)

Re: I know there are other Dark Tower fans here

The bottom line is this: The Dark Tower is going to be damned near impossible to actually adapt to film. I have said that from the beginning, and I maintain that stance. No matter what they give us, it's going to be a pale shadow of the narrative that's in the books. It's best to just come to terms with that.

They haven't even mentioned casting for Odetta/Detta/Susannah yet, but they've cast a character (whom people are referring to as the female lead) that only appeared briefly in the last book, if memory serves.

SO.

Now that that's out of the way... here's what Stephen King (who has openly approved of Elba's casting, by the by) and the director have to say: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/2...ephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Ok, how about this--since Roland's interaction with Odetta, and HER racial issues, are super important to HER character arc as a black woman, casting Roland as a non-white actually diminishes the black character in the series by taking away an important part of her character's interaction with Roland and the growth she experiences through it, ironically doing a pretty major disservice to the one black character in the actual story.

Now mind you, I've found King's portrayals of black people to be hilariously, embarrassingly racist (he obviously means well, and is trying to be inclusive, but he overcompensates and falls into awkward "noble savage" territory in too many cases), so I'm not sure if the screenwriters will handle Detta/Odetta as she was in the book. If that's the case, then Roland's race won't matter. But it will also **** off a lot of people like me, who love the books religiously, flaws and all.

Let's compare this to the Elba as Bond flap. I have no problem with black Bond. His race is irrelevant to the story. But I'd have a major problem with a gay Bond, because his absurd womanizing is an important part of the character. It's not even a particularly admirable part--it's fairly appalling at times, in fact. But it's who Bond is. So you can change his race, but mess with his sexual orientation or gender and you lose something.

Elba would be a fine Roland in every case except where it impacts his relationship with Detta/Odetta. That may not be a big deal to some people, but the books are gospel to me. So it's a big deal. Unfortunately I'm sure this is just one of a million decisions I'll hate. Sounds like it'll be super rushed and super condensed and really nothing like my beloved series based on the ew article. Probably best if I don't see this one.

Last edited:

Roland was certainly white in the book, based on Odetta's comments, his oft mentioned bombardier blue eyes and the notion he was supposed to bear at least a passing resemblance to Clint Eastwood. Roland now suddenly being black makes about as much sense as making Odetta white. King can say Roland also wore a big red clown nose the whole time but the books stand as they are. He clearly did not. I like Idris Elba but not for this role. Not sure how I feel about Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black either. I've grown to like him as an actor but not sure I see him in the role. I have very little hope this book series can be adapted for the screen with any justice done.

Anyone else hear that they are not starting with The Gunslinger but that this will be a one off movie taking place in the middle of the series? I'm totally confused by this production.

Yeah... it sounds more and more like they're doing an "inspired by" type situation that's going to take place in our modern world instead of in Roland's or one of other worlds they visit on their trek...

Tonto is an american indian, Roland is a fictional character from a fictional world, that even in the context of the books, turned out to be nothing more than a figment of Steven King's imagination.

Roland can be anything that Steven King says he is.

If Steven King says Roland is black now, and speaks with an english accent, well that's just how Roland is.

They even managed to get Tonto to be a real indian back when almost noone played the right race.

Its no wonder you have only white people getting oscar nominated when white people play non white roles.

Oddetta is not even a character in the gunslinger, so if they make one film per book, its not going to be an issue for that first film.

After all this time its a mirical we are getting a film at all, but if you don't want to see the film because a black guy is in it, that's up to you.

I'll still be going.

They aren't starting with the Gunslinger, they are starting more around book 3 it sounds like.

They were always going to struggle to make it an understandable story to anyone who hadn't read the book.

Tonto is an american indian, Roland is a fictional character from a fictional world, that even in the context of the books, turned out to be nothing more than a figment of Steven King's imagination.

Roland can be anything that Steven King says he is.

If Steven King says Roland is black now, and speaks with an english accent, well that's just how Roland is.

They even managed to get Tonto to be a real indian back when almost noone played the right race.

Its no wonder you have only white people getting oscar nominated when white people play non white roles.

Oddetta is not even a character in the gunslinger, so if they make one film per book, its not going to be an issue for that first film.

After all this time its a mirical we are getting a film at all, but if you don't want to see the film because a black guy is in it, that's up to you.

I'll still be going.

I have zero problem with a black Roland... but they are making changes that aren't remotely in line with the themes of the book. And at that they're losing me.

Odetta was a civil rights era black woman... She couldn't trust these 3 white boys... it was a HUGE part of the book. They can't look at it as "well we'll worry about that in the next book..." Sure you could have her against just Eddie Dean and Jake, but I bet the ignore it altogether. Why? Cuz screw the source material. Odetta Holmes/Susannah (Can't quite remember the names... been a while) were some of the best parts of the series... my friend still signs everything "Forspecial Blue Plate".

My big problem is the talk that Roland is out for revenge and not after the tower, and JAKE puts him back on the quest... It shows they are completely screwing with everything...

Roland let Jake DIE for the tower... NOTHING is more important... friends, health, his personal safety... just get to the tower. He has to learn to put others first.

I'm losing interest in this flick everytime I read something... they don't even seem to know how they want to present it. TV... Movie....TV and Movie...

I don't think they've locked down the game plan, but have already started shooting.

Ugh, I'll wait for the eventual remake they do of this ten to twenty years down the road.

Wait, JAKE puts him back on the tower? There's no way I'll be able to enjoy this movie I guess. It just went from mild curiosity to a hard pass.

And here we go... http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-the-first-look-at-idris-elba-as-the-gunslinger-in-1776917207

I know that over-reacting based on almost no info is annoying fanboy behavior, but the outfit is a big NO for me. He's supposed to look like Clint Eastwood in the Good the Bad and the Ugly, so unless this is some fancy dress Gunslinger occasion, I'm really not digging the duds. Way too neat and purdy.

Yeah those pics are really out of context and we have no idea of any story details. That look doesn't match any description of Roland's outfit that I remember, but I do like the look in general.

I don't mind the look and I could see him working as Roland...

But still... what I have heard of the outline, it needs a lot of reworking... but then I've seen outlines do a 180 from the start of production to the end.

In some ways I hope it sucks... cuz those guns aint gonna be cheap replicas...

And no way I'm passing at a chance to have Roland's guns on my shelf...

With a "microsoft wing ding" of course...

77e039970149ad0e7eb1bc959aff4b02.jpg

I have a bad feeling this is going to end up a lot like Shannara where it looks pretty but things just aren't right.

Quick note on that wing ding...

i came *this close* to getting that tattoo'd on my wrist... Then I was at a restaurant and it was next to every item on the menu. I shows to my friend and said "wow.. What the heck? Is this guy really into Dark Tower or am I missing something?"

he goes "it's probably just a Microsoft wing ding then..."

man that was a close one.

Is it wrong for me to admit that I wish there was a TV series that takes place in Keystone World, where the Tet Corporation formed their own group of Gunslingers, where we see them doing what the Tet Corporation was created for: to guard the Rose, guard Stephen King and stop some of the Sombra Corporations attempts at destroying the world, and have it not only tie into the upcoming Dark Tower films, but other Stephen King film adaptations? If it is, then I'm sorry to admit it. Thinking about it aloud, I realize it seems way too similar to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in concept. :/

Is it wrong for me to admit that I wish there was a TV series that takes place in Keystone World, where the Tet Corporation formed their own group of Gunslingers, where we see them doing what the Tet Corporation was created for: to guard the Rose, guard Stephen King and stop some of the Sombra Corporations attempts at destroying the world, and have it not only tie into the upcoming Dark Tower films, but other Stephen King film adaptations? If it is, then I'm sorry to admit it. Thinking about it aloud, I realize it seems way too similar to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in concept. :/

I would be down for that.

I would be down for that.

It would be interesting for sure. Honestly, if they did tie the show to other Stephen King film adaptations in addition to the DT film (and the upcoming adaptation of "The Stand"), we could see some familiar King characters show up.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back