New Dark Tower Series from Mike Flanagan

matty matt

Sr Member
I really liked the first three books in the series but it got pretty rambling after that.I'm dubious about how well this could be adapted without heavily rewriting.

Yeah, I was a big fan of King's for years. At one time I had read everything he published. That probably ended shortly after The Dark Tower.
I think the fourth book was really good...complex, but good. Like a lot of series the first few books are establishing the foundation and i will always love the first one but maybe you feel the way you do is because he took so long to go back and complete the series...then, boom, boom, boom. I could definitely see that. He really wanted to finish the series too, which whenever you wait and then get the feeling you may never finish, could it feel rushed? Absolutely!!! In this case, it was his Magnus Opus for sure. Nothing in my mind comes close to this series in comparison to his other works, this is by far his best.

When i first started this series back in the 80s i always pictured a grissled, young Clint Eastwood as Roland and it was easy to insert myself in there as Jake.

I think the fourth book was really good...complex, but good. Like a lot of series the first few books are establishing the foundation and i will always love the first one but maybe you feel the way you do is because he took so long to go back and complete the series...then, boom, boom, boom. I could definitely see that. He really wanted to finish the series too, which whenever you wait and then get the feeling you may never finish, could it feel rushed? Absolutely!!! In this case, it was his Magnus Opus for sure. Nothing in my mind comes close to this series in comparison to his other works, this is by far his best.

When i first started this series back in the 80s i always pictured a grissled, young Clint Eastwood as Roland and it was easy to insert myself in there as Jake.
Wizard in glass is a good book but it felt very disconnected from the first 3. Honestly the Gunslinger is a great stand alone story that doesn't really need a follow up, though The Drawing of the Three was a satisfying sequel. I think the overall story suffered (for me anyway) because it took so long to tell that the original author is practically unrecognizable compared to the author finishing it. It's an interesting study on King's personal perspective throughout his life but much like George Lucas changed his opinions on Star Wars as he got older (causing a tonal shift in the sequels and reconnecting his original) King's perspective on the Dark Tower changed as he aged and the story tone shifted. Much like him changing the original Gunslinger in later printings, I'm just glad I still have my original versions.

I think The Stand is probably his best work for me.

I honestly didn't know he changed it....that's weird. I had the original prints with the pictures in them. I do remember the huge gap after 4. Come to think about it, I liked those the best. Now I see your point clearly. Now I have to start over...lol.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back