Captain America Movie Shield

I broke down and did it. :lol

If you're looking for a shield to bring to the premiere, the costume version looks to be a good bet for the time being. Just repaint with metallics and it should do the trick nicely.
I myself am also hoping for a fully licensed prop replica with all the bells and whistles - but I KNOW that thing will NOT be cheap!

Re: Captain America Movie Shield REVEALED!

So is it too early to start asking around to see who has the metal fabrication abilities to make this? I suggest those who know people who build metal r2d2 parts to see if this is something they can tackle. Seems right up their alley being that they make curved metal skins for r2 and domes.

Or perhaps someone who worked on the film can help us out with dimensions and specifics.

I thing there are a bunch of pieces involved that have to fit together perfectly. There's the edge piece in the back, where the leather straps connect to...all the interconnecting circles in the front and all the interconnecting circles in the back to hold it together. I think there Re two sets of circles because the back circles don't align with the circles in the front.

Sooooo.... Rylo, russrep...any r2 builders...any ideas who we can contact to get the ball rolling on this?

A 5-axis mill could replicate this perfect, complete with what looks like lathe finish. Cost would be pretty high though, as time on a 5-axis machine with a work-area this size (30"x30"?) is not cheap.

I know the Comic Book details claim the shield is 30" in diameter but I don't know what the scale of the Move prop is, only someone who saw it at Comic con would have a better idea of the correct size even though it was behind Glass.

I got a Captain America shield which is made for Airsoft players (it's unpainted) but the size is nice and it's very well made:
EA-SHIELD-CA-TAN_4_mark.jpg

This is where I got it: [URL="http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=CM+2FT+Plastic+Captain+Shield&x=6&y=11"]'CM 2FT Plastic Captain Shield'[/URL]
But this company sells it cheaper: KHMountain

Here's a photo pf the interior from another thread:
208250_10150548362305317_540370316_18025952_7219112_n.jpg

When my schedule permits... I plan on repainting my shield to look like the Movie Shield...

The version by Disguise, posted above with the link to 80stees.com is 24" in diameter....
Is that even close to the right size?

That does look pretty good. It could be adapted nicely. Nylon HATES paint though. As far as I know you have to dye it. RIT dye is good, but the shield isn't white :unsure

I don't know about Nylon "hating" paint, but there are New paints that will Bond with most any kind of plastic, so I plan on using a Gloss Black and then going over that with Metallics afterwards...

That does look pretty good. It could be adapted nicely. Nylon HATES paint though. As far as I know you have to dye it. RIT dye is good, but the shield isn't white :unsure

It'll be interesting to see how you get on, most cast nylon and polypropylene (unlike other plastics) is oil-impregnated, I believe. This will prevent primer from bonding. Nylon primers prep the surface for glue and not paint. Good luck. I picked up a shield too, so I hope it works for you :)

I wasw just looking at the weird strapping set up on the back and thought perhaps that the rigging is designed to "unsnap" in a certain way so that it it can worn like a back back quickly and "snapped" shut to become a shield handle again.

I can't specifically tell how that would work just yet bu it's a thought.

captain-america-shield-rear-01.jpg

View attachment 92264

Nick

Last edited:
The arm straps can detach at the center to allow the full rig to be used as shoulder straps. I and my wife made my son a costume for him to wear at Motorcity comiccon (she made the costume , and I made the shield and helmet). When I made the shield I duplicated the strap set-up so he was able to hold it on his arm and wear it on his back. Attached are some pictures, I will post the helmet tomorrow (their on our other camera).

I ordered two of the Disguise Inc movie shields - one to experiement with and a backup. Might end up selling one after the repaint, but still looking for an inexpensive option for replacement leather straps.
First order of business would be to paint the backside silver and paint the front with metallics.

I have now. The modern shield from that thread is 28.6lbs (13kg). If I lugged that thing around long enough I'd be built like the way they draw Cap. LOL! I used to work for renaissance festivals as a fighting actor and all our combat ready shields were either wood or reinforced aluminum so as not to tire us too fast. I think even a person in tri-athelete shape would have issues with carrying something as beautiful and perfect looking as that after a few hours. The casual cosplayer would probably be better off with a lightweight material.

Despite all that I still think the skill level of the craftsman of the modern shield and all the stuff from that thread are godlike and awesome.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back