Star Trek III Tricorder

-E-

I picked up this ST III tric off eBay the other week and it turned out to be a pretty nice piece. The only real problem was the dreadful buttons. Not quite sure where the original maker got them but they were just dreadful.

I decided to make new button graphics and fixed them up in about an hour. I also added an old camera case strap I had laying around and now I have a pretty nice replica. Here are some pics (clickable thumbnails).

Before ...

After ...

That's my favorite of all tricorders. It's 25 years old and doesn't look dated at all. It's as futuristic as a TNG device, while maintaining that over-the-shoulder sensibility. I lurv it!

Very nice work. This is definitely my favourite as well.

Any chance you could give us a shot of the back?

If you click the link in my signature and navigate to STIII there should be a photo of the back of the tricorder there. I can' post one later, too.

I also made a few more changes. I made the far right button the same size as the others. I also changed out the hooks on the side and added the proper split-key rings for the shoulder strap. I have a better strap on the way, too. I'll post a photo when it's done.

Here are the final pics. I received the more accurate shoulder strap today. I also redid the last button to make it look more the same size as the others. I also added the eye screws and the split key rings to attach the strap to.

This remains one of my favourite props of all time. Is the head spring loaded, or do you have to pop it up manually?

You have to move the head manually. I'd like to add the spring loaded syringe that was used if I can get around to it someday.

Hello -E-,

Love the Tricorder, Can you tell me about what size is it in inches W, L, H.?
Is it small like the Playmates TOS Tricorder, Or bigger like the DST/AA TOS Tricorders?
Also I saw the Graphic on the Back, Is it a Hologram from the movie Aliens,
It looks like a small version of the Motion Trackers used on their Marine Assualt Rifles?
Thanks...........Jeremiah

Come on Erik, stop BS'ing us.....no way that's the same Tricorder as in the first
picture....

:)

Just havin' some fun----really tho, great job with it. I saw it on eBay and was
real close to picking it up myself.

Hello -E-,

Love the Tricorder, Can you tell me about what size is it in inches W, L, H.?
Is it small like the Playmates TOS Tricorder, Or bigger like the DST/AA TOS Tricorders?
Also I saw the Graphic on the Back, Is it a Hologram from the movie Aliens,
It looks like a small version of the Motion Trackers used on their Marine Assualt Rifles?
Thanks...........Jeremiah

It's about 6.5" x 3.5" x 1.5". Add an extra inch when it's open.

I have no idea what the image is in the viewer. It looks like a radar screen with blips on it. It's covered with a sort of green soft plastic like material. I included some comparison pics for you with a DST TOS tric.

That looks like a RC trcorder!:love Good job!:love

I wish it was an RC tric! I have no idea about it's origins.

thermal

Come on Erik, stop BS'ing us.....no way that's the same Tricorder as in the first
picture....

:)

Just havin' some fun----really tho, great job with it. I saw it on eBay and was
real close to picking it up myself.

Yeah, the original buttons were a disaster. Luckily they just popped out and I was able to duplicate them pretty easily. It was a cheap/easy fix.

Then I just cut them out and taped them back on with some packing tape and stuck the buttons back in.

If anyone needs the buttons icons you can download the ones I made here: STIII tric buttons.rar

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back