Doctor Who Companion spoilers

I think Karen Gillan blows away all of the previous companions. - you don't need to search for her attractiveness - it's right there as soon as you look at her.

I also have no reason to question Moffet. I'm really looking forward to the next installment - as long as it's not too Twilightt-ie.

This will probably just be the initial introduction thing where she smooches a bewildered Doctor and they go from there. I mean, if they'd told you "Ok, so Rose is a shopgirl who lives in a council home," would you have been bored already?

Her job is less important than her character, how she reacts to things, how she behaves, etc. I mean, admittedly, if she runs around CONSTANTLY in skimpy outfits and such, it'll get old, but it's not like this will have been the first time that the producers blatantly pandered on sex appeal...

Nicola%20Bryant.jpg

Oh, and yeah, Sarah Jane was hot. :)

Hate. You.

It was mind blowing to meet her in person...still pretty good looking for her age, and mighty short! Her feet could not touch the floor!

By far my favourite companion ;)

Amy Pond is pretty for sure, but as said...not the first time sexuality has been a grab, Peri was FAR more racy...even had that bikini ;)

I am just jazzed for the new series...Matt will be great I am sure, Amy will be fun, and so far the casting has been excellent!

I'm still unsure about Matt. It'll depend on two very critical things: the writing, and his ability to pull it off. His acting chops are as yet unknown. The writing team is generally pretty solid, but there are always those periods in Who history where things went off the rails for a bit. Still, it ain't JNT at the helm (who wasn't even ALL bad...). I figure if I've been able to find redeeming bits even in the 6th Doctor phase, the show would seriously have to tank for me to hate it. On the other hand, it HAS been REALLY good since the relaunch, so I'm hopeful they'll keep up that level of competence.

As for Liz Sladen, I agree -- she still looks great. :)

I can't really think of any companions I've HATED (though I haven't seen them all). I didn't really dig the 5th Doctor's companions much, though. I didn't hate them, I just didn't find them all that interesting (yes, even Adric -- I didn't hate him, per se, just found him poorly written and not clearly defined). Peri was >ahem< interesting, but the whole bickering thing with her and the 6th Doctor got old. I liked the Trial of a Time Lord season a lot better in terms of their relationship. Mel was just kind of...there. But I loved Ace. Ace was awesome and if I'd been watching Who back in the late 80s, I'd have had a HUGE crush on her as a kid.

As for the 9th and 10th doctor companions, I'm not up to date on all of them (I haven't watched since the 3rd season -- rewatching them now to get caught up and go straight through to the new movies on Blu Ray), but I liked everyone I saw. My only complaint -- and I REALLY hope they don't botch this with Amy -- is that the mooney-eyed "oooh, I'm lurv with the Doctor" thing is getting stale. I seriously hope that they don't go down that path again. Like, I'm hoping Matt will basically be an old man in a young man's body and will really emphasize that aspect. World-weary (well, time/universe-weary...) caring, but a bit distant, etc. Not because he wants to protect HIMSELF necessarily (that was more the 9th and 10th doctor's trip as far as "no emotional entanglements"), but more because as much as he might care for and love his companions, he's SO much more experience than them that they really are but as children to him. The 9th Doctor was too broken up from the Time War to really open up, and the 10th Doctor was, I think, kind of a rejection of that -- in a repressed sort of way. Wildly emotional and romantic (IE: with Rose and some others), but not ever able to consummate things. I'd like to see the 11th Doctor be less romantic and more paternal. It'd be an interesting thing to see some fresh-faced young attractive companion fall for the Doctor again, but for him to be far more paternal in his response. Very incongruous, considering that the Doctor's FACE is young.

Well for me...I actually did not like Tennant at all at first, but as you said, everything else panned out and it was great!

Totally agree about Five's companions, they did nothing for me too. Tegan screamed alot, Nyssa was fairly mousy and smart, Adric was okay, probably the most defined, but not a really good arc.

If you have not seen Series Four yet, you are in for a treat with Donna...a number of steps away from the oogling the Doctor stuff.

GOOD. I mean, I appreciated Martha's semi-oogling and how the Doctor just flat-out didn't return the favor (plus Freema was nice to oogle, herself...) but I hoped that wouldn't become a theme, especially when multiple adventures involved the Doctor kinda sorta falling in love with some woman or them kinda sorta falling in love with him.

And yeah, Nyssa was just kinda blah, Tegan was screamy and obnoxious, and Adric was sort of a know-it-all. I actually felt, however, that Adric was the least defined except for "Oh, he's smart." But Nyssa was also smart, so what role did Adric have to play? On some episodes he's fanatically loyal, on others he turns traitor at the drop of a hat, and his characterization never really came through as anything other than "young." Tegan, I think, was better defined if one-dimensional. I gather they wanted to do more with her (IE: her tough-girl act was more as a defense mechanism), but it didn't seem to pan out.

That, unfortunately, is the fate of many a companion as the run drags on. Especially in the old days, the girls would become "OH NO!! DOCTOR!!! HELLLLLLP!!!!" or just clueless and to act as line feeds for the Doctor to drop a few paragraphs of exposition.

Anyway, looking forward to Series Four and beyond. Can't wait to watch the new stuff on Blu Ray (once my media room gets started/finished...)

I'm an old School fan. So I was never fully on board the Doctor falling for a companion or a companion falling for a Doctor undercurrent they stuck in a lot of the New Series episodes. I love Moffatt's writing but I don't even agree it was a good idea to introduce the concept of the Doctor's future Wife. The Character's mor einteresting free of romantic entanglements. It's part of what seperates him from more conventional leading characters.

But back to topic - I'm okay with the kiss-o-gram thing. RTD has done worse. I guess it's an excuse to get the obligatory Doctor Kiss moment out of the way. Whatever. As long as it's not dwelt on.

Amy Pond is certainly attractive. I'd easily put he rin the top five. Though I don't agree she's the hottest. Victoria, Romana I, and Peri are I think the best looking female companions. I'm sure Amy will quickly join those ranks- but best looking out of all of them? Nah. But then again I'm a brunette guy, I'm biased. Good honorable mentions to Leela, Zoe, and Polly. Tegan wasn't bad looking if you ignored the annyoing character she played. And I remember having a brief crush on Ace in my Junior High years.

VictoriaWaterfield3.jpg

nicola1.jpg

DJIrOzZlrq5m3jtyqPt0BnbZo1_500.jpg

PS no offense to all the SArah jane admirers. She was easy on the eyes and likable to be sure but I never thought of her 'in that way' for some reason.

Dude, Romana 1 is in a class unto herself. I mean, Mary Tamm is just classically, breathtakingly beautiful. I don't think she's really HOT per se, though. And for some reason, as gorgeous as Mary Tamm is, I find Liz Sladen to be more down-to-earth and approachable, while still retaining her beauty. Whereas Mary Tamm looks like some impossibly beautiful 40s era Hollywood star (Vivian Leigh, anyone?), Liz Sladen struck me as someone who could look both "girl next door" and elegantly beautiful. Mary Tamm, on the other hand, could never pull off "girl next door." So, while she's a knockout, she's actually a little less versatile, I think (looks wise -- can't really speak for her acting since I've only ever seen her in Who).

Although if you want to talk about hot companions, try running a google image search on Katy Manning. Definitely NSFW but worth the look. ;)

Dude, Romana 1 is in a class unto herself. I mean, Mary Tamm is just classically, breathtakingly beautiful. I don't think she's really HOT per se, though. And for some reason, as gorgeous as Mary Tamm is, I find Liz Sladen to be more down-to-earth and approachable, while still retaining her beauty. Whereas Mary Tamm looks like some impossibly beautiful 40s era Hollywood star (Vivian Leigh, anyone?), Liz Sladen struck me as someone who could look both "girl next door" and elegantly beautiful. Mary Tamm, on the other hand, could never pull off "girl next door." So, while she's a knockout, she's actually a little less versatile, I think (looks wise -- can't really speak for her acting since I've only ever seen her in Who).

Although if you want to talk about hot companions, try running a google image search on Katy Manning. Definitely NSFW but worth the look. ;)

The three companions that have solid male following I sorta understand but never really been into are Jo (Katy Manning - although the famous Dalek photoset helps!), Romana II and Nyssa. I kinda see it now as an adult but when I was growing up and fans around me would wax lyrical about them I just didn't really understand what they were seeing.

But yes Romana I would win the 'beautiful' award. For more of the raw sex appeal or lust-factor it always falls back to Peri and Victoria for me. I can see the Liz Sladen girl next door thing - I guess she'd be the girl you'd be friends with for years before actually dating.

Although I liked Leela growing up because she was like the savage version of Emma Peel (oh how I was into Emma Peel....) not afraid to get tough and show a lot of leg. And then there's Zoe who wins a certian....ahem curvy award. For anyone who's seen the infamous 'holding on the spinning TARDIS console' shot from the Mind Robber- they will know what I mean.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back