Ghostbusters Stunt trap templates PDF - link is up! *Freebie*

jt001

Sr Member
Well, I'm done with my stunt trap and holster. I used different sources to build my trap: Venkman 71, SG1Stargate and Hprops for the labels, along with references from fellow members who were a great help and were kind enough to provide me ref pics of their builds. Most of the measurements I got from Venkman's 71 Project Plans. In a nutshell, I took most of his plans and basically drew them in Illustrator in real size, used them as templates and printed them in cardboard. Once the cutting was done, I traced everything in MDF and/or styrene and build everything up.

I have all the templates in one PDF file, including plans for the holster. Although, as mentioned earlier, I can't take credit for all of these. That belongs to Sean, SG1Stargate and HProps, and a few friends from the board who provided awesome ref pics. What I can offer is just the templates based on Sean's plans, so all you have to to do is print them in and 8.5x11 standard paper/cardboard and trace them over whatever you want to make your trap of. The plans will of course give credit to those responsible in the first place.

Please also keep in mind that I modified some stuff because I intended to build a stunt trap in the first place. If you want to build a trap with working doors, you will need to make the necessary adjustments, but at least you have something to help you out with the whole process. Templates do not include knobs nor the "ears" that go at both sides of the front panel indicator. My knobs and ears were supplied by Nick-a-tron at the GBfans forum, and I'd highly recommend for you guys to do the same. His knobs and ears are top notch.

Here are some pics of how my trap and holster came out:

8.jpg

12.jpg

33.jpg

36.jpg

45.jpg

50.jpg

Rivets were just for position only:

59.jpg

I didn't include a list of materials because that will depend greatly on your budget. In my case, I needed to spend as little as possible. Don't forget to check my trap building thread. I also have some resourceful info over there! http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=69729&highlight=ghostbuster+stunt+trap

Here's a list of the things I used, more or less.

1. MDF (medium density fiberboard)
For most of the trap I used MDF as my main building material

2. Wood filler
This will help you get rid of the wood grain. This is important if you want your trap to look like it's made of metal parts. Wood looks beautiful in furniture, but not on "highly sophisticated equipment"
icon_wink.gif
hehehe

3. PVC "For Sale" sign.
For 8 bucks I found at Home Depot a HUGE PVC sign. It's more sturdy than the regular styrene sign. I used this to build the battery compartment and the front display indicator. If you look at the finished parts, you'l never be able to tell they were made from a PVC sign. I also used it to build some parts of my belt gizmo, and still have a lot left for future projects!

4. Epoxy putty
This is great for filling your PVC/styrene pieces. Once you fill all the gaps, use some sanding paper. The piece will look like if it was made in one piece, not small different pieces glued together. A useful trick I use is to close my eyes and "feel" the piece once the sanding has been done. If you feel bumps, holes or uneven parts, go ahead and either sand or use more filler until you get it very smooth. Use a finer grid paper to achieve a smoother finish!

5. Stanley blade and X-Acto knife
Use the back side of the Stanley knife to do your scoring and finish it with your Stanley or X-Acto knife, but don't cut the part, just score it. Then move it up and down until the part snaps. You'll get a more cleaner cut that way. Finish it with some light sanding.

6. Super glue (for styrene/PVC) and Wood Glue (I used the yellow one)
The great thing about these glues is that, contrary to epoxies, these puppies dry ultra fast! That means you can get much more work done in less time! Both glues dry in about 15 minutes.

7. Mask (if you are using MDF)
Don't underestimate this. MDF gets everywhere and it can be very dangerous

8. Jigsaw blade with fine (lots of teeth) blade
For smoother cuts make sure to get a blade with lots of tiny teeth. The more teeth it has, the smoother the cut.

9. Wood clamp
I could've never get this thing done without it!!! Since I was on a tight budget, I could only afford to get one, but at least for me, this was completely necessary!

10. Wood chisel
This will be very useful to make the back wall channel

11. Misc items
Metal ruler, sharpie, pencils, primer, paint, silver paint (for drybrushing), metallic color pen (easy paint chips).

Here's the link for the PDF templates uploaded to my site! www.joseballesteros.com/misc/gb/jt001-trap-templates-v1.pdf

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Dude, that is a great homemade prop and even better description!!!
I really like this community and folks like you.
Thanks for sharing.

AWESOME!! Thank you so so so much for sharing these! You, sir, rock my socks, and my good friend who's been wanting one of these can finally get one via your templates and my building skills.....once I have the time and a functional workshop again.

*sigh* why'd you have to do that? now I'm going to have to do this costume. it was low on the list and now it jumped up in the schedule. thanks, thanks a lot...

that is absolutely beautiful man, can't wait to put it to use! keep up the great work!

And now that same friend was busting my chops for helping to devalue his trap by spreading this around :lol

:rolleyes His trap only gets devalued if someone uncovers a hoard of other screen used traps. I love the prop community, but I just don't understand some people's mentailities.

Got the PDF, Printed the files, transfered to MDF.......chopped, cut, sawn and done!

Now I've got a few build issues :( .

Do you have to make your own trap cartridge front and other bits?

Also when I held it together with masking tape for reference the 2 CARTRIDGE POSTS sat HIGHER and the CARTRIDGE WALLS sat LOWER???

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated :)

Craig

You still have to take material thickness into account, these are nominal templates. Here's my build based off of them: Jack Doud's Ghostbusters Ghost Trap

Amazing build, thanks for the link...

not sure why my cartridge posts are longer in depth than the cartridge sides and so on?

could be that I've used 6mm MDF and you've used styrene sheets, not sure tho.

the way I closely templated all the parts together the actual cost of the MDF worked out to 62.3 pence -----well I paid £2.40 for a sheet of MDF Measuring 4ft x 2ft 6" so have enough for another 3 Traps and some offcuts for any spare bits and accidents.

Having trouble with where the cartridge back wall and cartridge posts fit! D'oh!!!

Wanted to cut out the cartridge top view to expose the inner cartridge then sort the doors out but am totally bl@#dy stuck lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back