2009 Movie Phaser - MODIFICATIONS complete...

Re: 2009 Movie Phaser - MODIFICATION begins...

Looking good! Did anyone notice if they touched the top of the phaser to rotate the barrel in the movie or was it the same button used as the toy? If so where would the phasers trigger be?! To me it makes more sense for the dial on top to adjust the setting/barrel position. I'm looking to remove the nasty toy looking trigger button as it's not present on the real prop.

The button is in the same location as the toy, but it extends all the way through the handle. When they show the close up on Kirk, he presses the button on the left side (same as the toy) but you can see the mechanism extends all the way through the right hand side as he pushes it.

Awesome job on this phaser mod! Looking very cool.

Wow... this is looking great!
I wanted to ask though... is the original toy barrel actuated electronically or is it just spring loaded? I assumed it was mechanical but looking at your first dismantle pic I'm curious.
And how hard do you think it would be to reassemble with the original mechanism after it's been taken apart?

Thanks everyone for the compliments.
Greatly appreciated :)

Wow... this is looking great!
I wanted to ask though... is the original toy barrel actuated electronically or is it just spring loaded? I assumed it was mechanical but looking at your first dismantle pic I'm curious.
And how hard do you think it would be to reassemble with the original mechanism after it's been taken apart?

Hey prototype7, the phaser body is made in four parts.
The two handle parts clamp over the upper main body.

The "release trigger" mechanism slides horizontal to the body, and holds the
nozzles rotated assembly in place.

The bottom shaft is the mechanical (hard) stop.

The nozzles mechanical rotation uses a spring and is around the upper
shaft. There are wires for the LED's coming out the top shaft as well.
The upper shaft also activates the - [Stun/Kill (red-blue) LED's and which of the sounds are
heard] - switch.
If you add your own sound and remove the original circuit board and switch, you will have to create a new circuit that will do this function for you.

The rotation "release trigger assembly" uses a mechanical push button and a spring loaded slide arm (which holds the nozzle assembly in place, against the upper rotation spring). A little tricky, but not too bad.

img1508al.jpg

I hope this helps in your modification process :)

propmaster2000

Last edited:
Eventually info on the original prop has to trickle out.
Very curious as to who the designer/builders were.
Ryan Church involved, perhaps?

Just amazing. This toy was like flypaper to me and I contemplated going ahead with upgrades but I couldn't bring myself to bust it up. GOod luck.

Re: 2009 Movie Phaser - MOD's complete - UPDATED 2017

Update 2017:
Well, it has been a very long time since I modified the 2009 Star Trek Movie Playmates Phaser.
I motorized the "flip nozzle".
Below is a link to the last video I posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXH8ulptvVU

Here is a link to another video of the same phaser modification:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YffW-fiC_Os

After many years, I am revisiting this build.
I never made more then the one of these modifications because I did not have the motor/gear set up I had then, where
I used a small motor and worm gear setup which I had on hand in my shop.

Just recently, I have come across a motor/gear mech. that I think I can make work for this project, so I removed
the old worm gear motor and am attempting to add this new setup.

phaser mod. 1.jpg

Thanks for watching :)

Last edited:
Since it is becoming harder and harder to find these Phasers, I am having to resort to eBay to find one.
I will be taking the information I have learned from this modification/enhancement to make another and
sell it at auction.
Below is a link showing the Phaser with all the wiring & activation switch to the motor/gear set up intact.
The LED wires and sound button still need to be dealt with, but they are not tied into the motor circuit
and will not effect it's function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn5-gd8-Nic

Last edited:
I managed to find some time to finally connect the Red and Blue LED's and put in the firing button.

This is the second one I have done (the first one was back in 2009).
This version uses a different motor/gear setup so I think that if there is any interest, I could figure out the
labor and materials cost to convert others Phaser.

I am currently looking for any of these Phasers for sale (but not through Ebay).

If I can get them inexpensively, I can convert it and then sell the completed Phaser at auction.
They will need a complete repainting however using automotive Titanium Metalic color paint.
Here is the Phaser as it is now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a31aiiy-30

Thank you for looking :)

propmaster2000

Last edited:
Re: 2009 ST:Movie Phaser - MOD's complete - UPDATED 2017

A few days ago I came across another Playmates 2009 Star Trek Movie Phaser, except this one seemed to be a Store Display model.
It had no electronics at all. No Red and Blue LED's or sound. So there was no place for the circuit or speaker.
The power switch and upper thumb wheel is molded directly into the plastic body.
So, I am going to make an attempt at adding sound, speaker, firing button and LED's.

I am also going to be adding my motorized "flip head".

I know that QMX mentioned that it was going to do one with a servo activated head as well but not sure if they did this or not.
I new paint job is in order as well.
I still have to paint the front portion of the handle and install all the electronics.

Here are 2 pictures of my new Phaser so far:

FjOi3zp.jpg

se8tCiy.jpg

I'm going for this color scheme:

6WYIN.jpg

Last edited:
That's most likely the phaser that came with the belt. Neither it nor the communicator that came with the belt had electronics, if I remember correctly.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back