Building a studio scale pod car

:lolAl no worries it's alive but sleeping!! I have the plastic to finish it now, I just have to work on getting 3mm and 2mm sheet for the pod car. Here is a pic of the stealth just in case you thought it crashed and burned!

Ok so you talked me into it. I will start a thread for my cloud car, in the general modeling section. Seeing as I'm not exactly studio scale. Will post some pics as soon as I form the first parts.

Al

Finally got my plastic , unfortunately I couldn't get both plugs up on the former at the same time.:angry So I had to use 4 sheets kind of a waste but it's done.

With a little sanding the seems worked out fine, I just had to put them up on the big sanding board and work them out.

Julien they do fit perfectly together that was the benefit of making a top and bottom pattern!!! Something I need to do for my A-wing hull pattern!:$:thumbsdown When you can put a top and bottom together and check things before forming it takes a lot of the mystery out of it!:lol

Still though from the pics you can see, I had the gap under the hulls I had to sand out......really not sure why this happened? Vacuum forming always has a bit of mystery mixed in, especially when it's done in home!!:lol Things always seem like they have to be sanded to the sweet spot, but I found if I make a top and bottom hull I have a better chance of things matching up, instead of trying to get one perfect hull to pull twice.

Not to mention on the cloud car, the canopy landing on the top hull has a different shape than the landing gear bay on the bottom of lower hull.So you really do need two hulls in a way. Thanks for the kind words more progression coming soon, I will be working on the canopies probably next week Monday.

Regards,
Michael

Ok my pattern for the canopy landing is to tall so it requires some sanding to bring it down to around 35mm or so.I drilled a hole in the kit and measured it with my calipers, then I drilled a hole in my pulled part to see where I was at.I just sanded and checked with the caliper until the height was the same as the kit part.

:thumbsup Thanks guys I finished the other canopy landing, got it all sanded to the right height.The landing gear bays in the pics are not sanded correctly yet they are a bit high as well.:$:thumbsdown but it's coming along nice now.

GE brings good things to life!

attachment.php

Looks beautiful Michael, its the perfect slate for this build, vac hulls, no weight, you thought about an armature yet bud...i do have a pic of the ILM one somewhere, ill have to check if i can find it!

lee

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back