Ion Cannon ref?

ralphee

Sr Member
Any out there guys, apart from what we already know?...SAG has a decent shot, but without the barrel extended, and its a tad washy lol, im sure a have a hunch or two on that barrel area, but without pics, ill never be sure and ill have to idealise once more, which is still fun....i guess lol!

Anyhoo, thought id ask, you never know.

thanks guys......lee

Not a great shot, but it is what it is!

LFLArchives005.jpg

Hey Rob...thanks buddy..yeah its another one of those rare ones :lol Shame really as i loved this prop as a kid, the way that barrel was animated...too cool!
Ill build it Guy, even it its not accurate:lol, just to have one with my Hoth bits and bobs!
If i can do as good a job as Andre (el loco) ill be pretty stoked!

lee

Hey Lee,

thank you :thumbsup

yeah, it's too bad that there isn't more pic's out there.

What about the size ?

Do you still believe it's 12 " (30 cm) ?

I guess it's a little smaller :confused

Andre

Andre, you know its buggin me, it looks way larger than i used to think, like i said, lined up next to that ROTJ walker, its huge...so my next guess was 12".....i ordered domes in 10" and 12" in the end so i can eyeball it myself with the goods in hand!

Its my fault you ended up with an 8" i think as that was my old guess...sorry buddy!

Ya know, i dont really care on the ref front now, this will be fun no matter what, and im sure, using well known donor parts, itll still get a few glances, hey if its half as attractive as your build, ill be a very happy bunny indeed!

Ive been looking at some odd RC buggy dampers i have lying around, i think i can get a good recoil and return action this way, but im not sure if i can utilise electronics into the equation...im not great with designing servo mechanics etc, but ill do my best to try!

The oil filled buggy dampers, without a shock spring, have a great smooth action, something i want to use to have that barrel slide back into position....big plans, much to do, and still waiting for any swag to arrive, but im pretty upbeat about this build!

lee

With the Sd Kfz223 Pod in the shot here, 12" seems feasible to me!

Anyone have any thoughts? If i hold a 12" rule to my scratchbuilt pod, it does look about right!

lee

Buddy,
believe me, i'm very happy with my 8 " Ion Cannon !

A Studio Scale (12 ") Ion Cannon would be too big for the ESB-Cabinet in my Display Room :lol :cool

Andre

Sort of a shame after all these years that this community is still grasping at straws when it comes to ref for these iconic props. All about who you know I suppose. :cry

For what it's worth, here's an incredibly high-res, HD capture of the cannon that should make nailing this baby a walk in the park.

Buckle your seats!

ion1080p666.jpg

POW!!

:love:rolleyes

Hah, well cheers Matt, its a peach, well, at least ive never seen it before :lol
It may serve one purpose, from that pic, i think i can now count four feet at the bottom...everyt little helps :lol

bests....lee

Here's the full shot for scaling (it does look very close to 12"), some other interesting bits in here too, no... not those... well, she is sort of cute... :love

819972533_251e9c4595_b.jpg

Last edited:
Second that, wicked pic, Red Y, Cantwell Speeder, brass ISD, :eek snowspeeders...gaahhhh...Your a lucky lucky bloke Matt!

lee

Last edited:
Cant see a pic buddy :lol The barrel, its a bit confusing, one part of me says its stage 3 (i think) of the Saturn V for its base, possibly even the cone section used for the TIE bomber engines...so hard to tell!

The pipes...best guess, Lotus MKIII sections, same as i used on the ATST thighs..ill probably scratch these from styrene tube TBH.

The barrel tip...dont know, but another part from the Saturn V looks close, itll all have to be mocked up first just to get opinions i guess.

lee

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back