Dirk's Ion Cannon

dirkterrell

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A while back I got GEEK1138's Ion Cannon model files to do a studio-scale print. Work seems to intrude on the rest of my life way too much these days, but it looked like this one wouldn't be too time consuming to do (as compared to the Star Destroyer I've been working on for years...) and would be a good learning experience printing something this big. There were definitely some things learned when printing hemispheres of this size:

ion_cannon_fail.jpg

but I eventually got it figured out using "tree" supports on my Ender 5 Plus.

ion_cannon_success.jpg

ion_cannon_success2.jpg

The petals (and the gun parts) were done on my AnyCubic Mono X:

ion_cannon_petals.jpg

Early fit test:
ion_cannon_fit_test.jpg

Then came the hard part: sanding and sanding and sanding...

ion_cannon_sanding.jpg

and sanding and sanding...

ion_cannon_sanding2.jpg

And yes, more sanding...

ion_cannon_sanding3.jpg

And it was finally ready for a base coat:

ion_cannon_primer.jpg

Which revealed that I needed more sanding. But I finally got it to where it looked ok and I started doing the final painting. I decided I wanted it to have a grungy, dirty look as opposed to the cleaner look of the one on Hoth.

ion_cannon_final.jpg

It was a fun one to work on and relatively straightforward. GEEK1138's model is a good one. Here is his thread: HOTH-ION CANNON

That looks great! Nice to see the WIP pics - quite a challenge to print the large sphere halves. That final base coat shot before weathering really nicely shows off the payoff for all the sanding - looks smooth as can be!

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back