Nay man from UNCLE props

Ed from Spy Boys is the guy who is the honorary UNCLE agent. Hopefully he'll jump in.

Here are a couple pics of my UNCLE replicas:

UNCLEpistol.jpg

UNCLEcarbine2.jpg

Does anyone know if there is going to be rerelease of the UNCLE P-38 carbine? I love that thing

Hello,
Fellow U.N.C.L.E. fans!!!!
I was offering a replica blank-firing version of the sidearm for awhile. However, I bow to a SUPERIOR replicator of this prop.
Sorry but there is NO one...repeat NO ONE that does it better than Brad.
My buddy, Brad Ferguson, makes the ULTIMATE replica of this firearm.
He offers in in various ways and in various price ranges.
check out his website at: theunclegun.com
Tell him "Ed sent me"

I don't have a gun right now. I do have some of The Spyboys number badges and business cards and they are great. I also have a Comm. pen. That I made. I don't have any pictures up right now.
Mark

Back in the early '70s, a friend of mine had a replica of the UNCLE gun. I ended up buying it from him. He didn't have all the pieces (missing the scope and extended clip) but it was pretty sweet...had replica bullets with hollow tips you'd put little caps into. When you fired the slide would go back and eject the bullet. It was made by a company called Replica Models, who later became Collector's Armory. I found their website a few weeks ago, but, alas, no UNCLE gun replicas any more. I sold mine off when I got tired of it (and wish now I hadn't). :(

There's a seller on eBay, starzonthars1, that offers replicas of the comm pens. They look pretty nice, and tend to go for about $125 on buy-it-now. I contacted several of his buyers to try and get a review of the product and only got one response. The person said it was a very nice unit but the antenna was hard to slide up until some light lubricant was applied--then it worked perfectly. From what I can tell, the clip is inaccurate but the rest looks okay.

It was made by a company called Replica Models, who later became Collector's Armory.

I used to go to their Showroom all the time and play with that gun!

Every time I see a thread on the UNCLE pistols I kick my self for not buying one!

I used to go to their Showroom all the time and play with that gun!

Every time I see a thread on the UNCLE pistols I kick my self for not buying one!

I checked out Brad's site mentioned above. Impressive information, nice stuff, but very pricey for what you get, IMHO. Something like $150 for a pair of grips that hold the scope, with a caution that the grips aren't really strong enough to do that (I think that's what I read)? It also looks like a lot of the stuff is resin or plastic. A complete gun would cost well over $1000.00 and would best be displayed, not played with. I liked the gun I had--all metal, heavy, very good quality. The only peeves I had were that the barrel extension didn't screw in but rather pushed in, and they didn't offer the silencer.

Don't get me wrong--there's some impressive stuff there. I just think it's too expensive (but then, I'm a cheap *******). :cool

Maruzen has just released their U.N.C.L.E. pistol.
Some details here:
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=26032

No word yet on attachments.

Nice, but from the description, the grips are plastic. I wonder how well they will stand-up to the stress of of a shoulder stock, and a scope. No full auto capability either. :( I know that they only showed it actually firing full auto in one, maybe two first season episodes. The rest were faked with sound effects. But it would have been nice to have full auto capability. I don't see any mention of an extended magazine either.

It says that the ammo capacity is twelve rounds, is this some type of cartridge airsoft?

I wonder if this sells well, will they then do the M34 Mauser U.N.C.L.E. Special, the first one?

David.

Re: Napoleon Solo Business Card

Hi fellow UNCLE fans….”OPEN CHANNEL D”
Here is my original MGC full metal replica from Replica Models Inc.
I purchased this SOO many years ago…luckily, I still have it.
I was never satisfied with the extended barrel and lack of silencer which would have made the replica more screen-accurate so I had a friend machine the extended barrel, barrel grip and silencer. The shoulder stock was fitted with the correct metal shoulder rest and, overall, it looked a hellava’ lot “cooler” than when I first purchased it.
The original replica has VERY many inaccurate parts, grips, etc. but it was a great base to work with.
P-38Carbine_MGC-Conversion-42.JPG

I later decided to make a more accurate “working” replica. I started out using a blank-firing Walther P-38. I had obtained a hard rubber stunt gun from the series and a friend cast and resculpted a set of accurate grips. These grips were later cast in aluminum (thanks eltee) so they would support both the scope mount and collapsible shoulder stock.
The scope is a real vintage Bushnell Phantom scope fitted to a machined scope mount.
The extended barrel and silencers were machined and screw into the barrel.
P-38Carbine_Rep-SB-41.JPG

This was a fun project. I simulated the Cyanide-gas emitting camera by fitting a lot of “cool” junk inside a sub-miniature camera.

ArrowGasCamera_Database04.JPG

To get into UNCLE HQ you had to pass the reception desk. Located on the desk was this monitor which took me about 10 years to ID and locate.

UNCLE_Misc-05.JPG

Of course to GAIN access you first had to turn this Victorian Entrance hook in the changing room of Del Florio’s…
UNCLE_Hook-Rep-ebay.JPG

Originally used by THRUSH but later used by UNCLE was this cigarette lighter/gun
(first pic is a screen capture from the show)
Zippo.jpg

Zippo(1).JPG

I built the interior to house the tubes which hold .22 cal shells.
Of course…this is just for show. It is non-functional
Zippo(2).JPG

Zippo(3).JPG

The replica UNCLE badges, of course, were a must!!!
UNCLE_Badge-Napoleon-01.JPG

…and how can you keep your files in order without UNCLE File Folders?
UNCLE_File-Folder-Database.JPG

UNCLE_File-Folder-06.JPG

In one of the Episodes (The Yellow Scarf Affair) Agent Solo proves his ID by displaying this Badge hidden under his watch….
UNCLE_IDDisc-01.JPG

Another prop you see often is the ever-present microphone that Mr.Waverly uses to keep in touch with our favorite UNCLE Agents.
UNCLE_AmericanD-22HQMicrophone01.JPG

Note the UNCLE ID Disc added to the bottom of the microphone.
UNCLE_AmericanD-22HQMicrophone02.JPG

UNCLE_AmericanD-22HQMicrophonePose02.JPG

The UNCLE communicator pen took the place of the much larger cigarette case communicator (left) initially used on the show.
UNCLE_Website-02.JPG

I made my own version of the pen using a hi-tech looking pen.
UNCLE_Pen-Comm-2003-01.JPG

Although not seen on the show, I had the UNCLE logo laser engraved unto a black laquered plaque with the metallic front.
UNCLE_Plaque&Props.JPG

I also duplicated the Animation cel used for the opening titles of the show.
SB_UNCLELogoCel02.JPG

As you can all tell…I’m a big fan of the show. In fact, it’s what started me to open TheSpyBoy.com so I could share my love of all cinematic Spy-related items.
It’s a fun-ride more than a business and I’ve met a lot of great people because of it.
We wish to thank AGENT WACKCHIMP without whose assistance this would not have been possible.
Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: U.N.C.L.E. 9mm

OH MAN!

Now I got to spend more money.

Thank a lot guys...

Last edited:
Some useless facts, maybe.

The large cigarette case Communicator was suppose to take the place of original cigarette case. The pen Communicator was suppose to be for short range communications only.

The mic/speaker grill on the pen Communicator is made from a fuel filter, unfortunately I don't know for what car.

There were six Walther P38 Specials made, but there were only enough accessories to convert two of them into rifles.

These P38s were WWII German pistols that still had the German Government stamps on them.

The hand grips on the six P38 Specials were different from each other. This is because all six were hand machined by different MGM Craftsmen.

The P38s were 'borrowed' from the set of "Combat".

There were two M34 Mauser Specials made, but there were only accessories to convert one into a rifle.

The Mausers occasionally appearded in the back holsters of the U.N.C.L.E. secretaries where closeups were used.

At other times the secretaries pistols were painted Beretta M34 water guns.

They dropped the Mauser for three reasons.
One, it was hard to find blanks for it.
Two, it jammed...A lot!
Three, (and this is the reason I believed it was dropped) it was considered to be visually overwhelmed by all of the accessories that were added to it.

The Mauser Special was suppose to be manufactured for the show by IDEAL Toys in return for the rights to make the toy version. IDEAL took so long that the MGM prop department eventually manufactured them.

MGM got in trouble with Uncle Sam for the unlawful manufacture of firearms.

Sam Rolfe had specified that Solo use a full auto capable P38. He calimed that this was because his Army unit in WWII came across a group of Germans that were armed with full auto P38s, and they made a big impression on him. :lol

Sam Rolfe was brought in to develop the show. The U.N.C.L.E., and Thrush organizations were based on a show treatment he did in the 1950s named "Saint George, and the Dragons".

David.

MGM didn't get into real trouble. According to gun guys who were studio employees at the time (pre-sub contracting days) here's the story.

They did, in fact, convert the P38's to fire full auto bursts. Not a hard conversion for a competant gunsmith. The guns were kept in the studio armory. Word got out, two Treasury guys (then ATF div.) came to the gate. Mini-panic ensued, but the treasury and the studio armorers all pretty much got along, the government knew they weren't going to release them to the criminal element and it was common for studios to have an armory with many functioning firearms inc. full autos. In fact, during WWII the studios gave up many machineguns to help the war effort.

Anyway, the treasury guys wanted to see the full auto P38's. They were stalled a little bit by studio suits who had a couple of contract actresses (again, back in the day of contract actors who worked directly for the studios) who would be considered "starletts" take the feds to lunch :love while they called in the armorers. In due course the feds met with the armorers and inspected the guns and shook their fingers and made the armorers fill out the appropriate forms and all were happy. No seizures, no penalties, etc.

If that happened today, a platoon of ninja suited BATFE guys would do a sweep and destroy mission.

ok guys,
i had to dust off this old case.
i got the pistol back in the 70,s when i was around 15.
the other pieces over the years.
OH it is the MGC version.
john :cool

According to Arnold Goode in "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." book, MGM had to pay a two thousand dollar fine for manufacturing guns without a license. They nearly lost them, but Mr. Goode was able to convince the U.S. Tresury Agents to just take one for testing. The fact that every barrel accessory screw into the barrel probably helped them.

I have read in magazines that the fine was two thousand dollars per pistol, but that is probably an inflated story.

One of the reasons given as to why they didn't actually fire the P38s full-auto, was that when they did the firing pins melted! :lol

This isn't the first time something like this happened in Hollywood. Years before, the makers of the tv show"Wanted: Dead or Alive" got fined by Uncle Sam for cutting down rifles to make the Mare's Leg.

David.

I may stand corrected...I got this from old timer gun prop guys who worked in old Hollywood. Emphasis on old.

However, it is a fact that P38s and some others are easily (by a skilled gunsmith) converted to full auto fire. The gun may not hold up w/o special parts being made of hardier than standard material, but it will fire full auto for a little while with OEM parts.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back