HALO Master Chief Costume Progress Thread (helmet rebuild begins on p.19)

Re: HALOween 2008 costume started.

It really looks fantastic.

If I might make one suggestion, I recommend you put it in a box and send it to my address.:lol

(God, I hate people like me...)

But seriously, what did you use for the scoring? I would guess a dremel, but it looks WAY too even for that. Some small hand held gouge, perhaps? Or did you scribe the bondo with a sculpting tool before it completely set up?

Again, outstanding work. A+++

Rick

Just checked out the thread and am amazed!!!!!

All this from frakin paper???!!!!!

Are you planning on making the castings available?

Gil

how far up did you scale it?

I am about to start a project using the same method....

LOVE THE HELMET:love

It really looks fantastic.
...what did you use for the scoring? I would guess a dremel, but it looks WAY too even for that. Some small hand held gouge, perhaps? Or did you scribe the bondo with a sculpting tool before it completely set up?

The scoring for the lines on the helmet was done using a dremel for the wider lines and a hacksaw for the longer, skinny lines. For the areas where I could not fit the hacksaw I used a shorter jigsaw blade.

Are you planning on making the castings available?
Gil

I'll probably sell a few copies to help pay for materials and that sort of thing. More on that when I actually have a few pulls to show off.

how far up did you scale it?

According to Pepakura, the final model had a build height of 31.9 cm, but I'm not sure if I saved the file after printing the right-sized one. The right ansswer is to make an easier one to get the fit right and then spend forever on the high-detail one.

Either that or save yourself a huge pile of problems and just wait until I'm selling castings...

I think this is amazing method to make something. How do you come up with the paper sizes and dimention. Do you take it out from the game design and then redo it it paper cuts? Truly a unique method.. Wow :thumbsup

What an awesome process and an awesome costume. :cool I'd love to be able to apply this principle to build an Ironman costume and also a classic BSG Viper pilot helmet.

I finally came up with a visor concept that I think faithfully replicates the look I'm going for:
Visortestingagain011.jpg

Essentially, it's a gold-tint motorcycle face shield with a .015" thick, clear styrene cutout laid over the top of it. I think it looks the part:

Visortestingagain018.jpg

Awesome bucket. But some goof ball is ruining your picture! ;)

I'll probably sell a few copies to help pay for materials and that sort of thing. More on that when I actually have a few pulls to show off.

Please let me know when you decide to sell "a few"....... I'll take at least one.!!!

Gil

Blue Sticky Goo Phase complete:

BlueGooRoundOne003.jpg

This is Silicone RTV moldmaking rubber built up to a thickness between 1/2" and 3/4" over the entire helmet:

BlueGooRoundTwo001.jpg

Green Sticky Goo Phase in progress:

MotherMoldPartOne001.jpg

More to come...

I believe his handle is the same. With the post restrictions he is limited to the noob forum, though it seems disrespectful to call him a noob.

very nice... what's your handle on 405th btw.

I'm "thorssoli" over there too. I've been mirroring all of my posts here in the noob forum there. I'm stuck with that until I reach 50 posts or something like that. I suppose if I got offended at being called noob I'd just spam a bunch of threads until my count was high enough.

So what brand of rubber are you using?

I get the silicone from a local TAP Plastics shop. There are probably cheaper options, but so far none that are nearby.

cant find anywhere near me that does silicone (other than the stuff you use in bathrooms...) and casting resin :cry

Green sticky goo phase in progress:

MotherMoldPartTwo001.jpg

Green sticky goo phase complete:

MotherMoldPartThree001.jpg

Watch for a junkyard thread once I've got the first copies out of the mold.

That should be early next week.

Theoretically, how much would we be looking at for one of these bad boys?

At this point I'm looking for $300 a piece for raw castings. I'll be more certain of the figure once I see how they look coming out of the mold.

Of course, I'll also be finishing a whole stack of these in assembly line fashion once I have the castings going, so I will initially be able to offer kits that are primed as well as a few that are finished out with paint, padding, and all that. I'm using automotive grade products for the finish, so they will be pretty tough. Those will naturally be more expensive.

Then I'm going to start on the boots. Those will be interesting.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back