Building X-Wing 1/24 : Help!!

When I first got my Smithsonian, I noticed the parts were all white and compared it with pics on Starship Modeler. I noticed that guy ( I don't believe he's BG) photographed the Monogram part but used the Airfix parts on the model itself.

Hey guys ,
hey Frank,
I`v been reading this thread for a while and decided to coment on some things.

Frank I molded the Icons Xwing & R2 as well,..LOL after I re built them when I was working for Icons and spent 2 months fixing the casting we got from the ORIGANAL molds .
it was NOT taken from a Exploded one as previosly mentioned BUT from a rather nice casting we got from a old ILMer
Yes the origanal r2 is not as nicely detailed as the one that
I built and was put into the Icons one .
That was at lucasfilms request they didnt was the fans to see how some of the film models are not as nice as you would expect them to be . And so that no one would try to re-sell one and try to claim it was a film used model.
In doing our research with them they only had in their files 7 pics that were of Lukes X wing ,
and sadly they some how lost the origanal model of it long ago.

Max

: (</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Migrate wrote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color><FONT COLOR=yellow>Originally posted by Cerney1:</FONT>

Well.....I have molds of the ICONS R2 as well. Hate to admit it...but could not resist molding him when I had the ship for a while. Sold it...wish I hadnt,

The real R2....needs some cleanup....but...something genuine about him. Might offer both togther as a set. Few of us are about to do this head on...and will be offering parts...stay tuned....

Frank Cerney</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Hi everyone.....out of curiosity.....was the 1/9 Kettenkrad used to kitbash the X-Wing?I could be wrong,cause my kit part identification skills are'nt as tight as others....but after looking through my kettenkrad kit for the y-wing parts used...it seems that from the highlighted pictures at the top of this thread..the terquoise highlighted part..it looks like a kettenkrad part Ive seen..like a carburator or something like that.I could be wrong,and I appologize for that....cause the part could be from any number of kits used on the studio model....but it just looks strangely familiar.Maybe let me know if I am correct in my assumption,cheers-John

From the two photos that are scanned on this page at the top (pg 36)....the R2 strip detail...there's a highlighted blue/green part that looks like a carburator......or something like that....my eyes tell me kettenkrad,but like I said,I could be wrong...be nice if I were'nt for once.I only been able to able to recognize a few kit parts on some of the filming minatures built.However, unless i have the kit&part in front of me to oogle over...most other times I really have'nt a clue,Im just trying the best i can-John

Lots of people have their forum display settings customized, so no everyone is going to see the same thing on page 36, if they even have a page 36 using their settings.

However:

r2strips.jpg

The blue/green parts are already identified as from the Airfix 1:24 Harrier. It's the purple, red and green parts that are in question.

I'm still working on my CC X-Wing, and as I've said before it will be Red 2. I've started to put some markings on the ship. I've noticed that on Red 2, as well on other X-Wings, there are these little tiny black squares all over the ship. I am putting those on my ship. Does this make any difference? Am I mad, obsessed, stupid for doing this?

btw this is just a stress reliever post.

Has the yellow part been id'd...I think it's a a cap off a felt marker that has been rounded off...no biggie I know most people scratch them but if you look on a felt pen cap the white thingy on the inside look just like that except not rounded off. oh well my 2 cents

Someone said we needed amber pill vials for the engines. Does anyone know a good place online to get them, and what size???

That yellow cap piece also looks similar to two bits of Falcon cockpit detail, though I may be remembering teh 5 footer... perhaps if someone has leads as to the details there, they may be able to help with that cap.

has anyone found out what kit the spade type thing on the back of the wing is under the hummel jack ?
I strongly urge you all tolook at a 1/72 long tome howitzer

take care

Thanks, will do!

I'm not familiar with the term "long tome". Is that a model manufacturer or a kind of of howitzer?

sorry miss spelling its long tom m59 155 mm cannon
its first designation was m1a1 developed in the 30's and used until the 60's I am pretty sure italery had and has a 1/72 scale kit I think the 1/35 would be too big I just recently read a review of the afv kit and the part in question on thekit is over an inch long so I don't think its the right one so I plan to get the 1/72 one

Does anybody have any thoughts about the Hummel part that's used on the front of the wings? Not the jack that's also on the back, the other part with the hole? The parts on the X-Wing seem different: The "wall" is thicker (and there's a little extra detail - which could easily be a separate part, of course - too). Could the Hummel kit have been retooled? The jack part is a little bit different, as well - the little "C-Beam" part that sticks out is rounded on the X-Wing (the ILM guys could have modified the part to make it look that way).

Given the price of the Hummel, I'm a bit leery of buying it if the right parts are actually in a different kit...

I'll check my scans of the kit and see if I can find a good ref pic for comparison. Might be a few days.

In the meantime, in another thread it was mentioned that a 1/72 M1 Abrams tank was used. To my knowledge this hasn't been mentioned in this thread before.

I hate to say this but the abrams was not available them as it was still in testbed form
and the other part on the wing front with the hole and the ridged detail in it that is the other half of the hummel jack

hope this helps
take care

Look at this:

hummelquery.jpg

This is Red One from Chronicles compared with beaz's picture of the Hummel part. Look how much thicker the wall appears to be. Also notice how the X-wing part appears to have two extra rivets (as well as the aforementioned extra greeblie), but they could just be air bubbles.

I wondered if maybe it was an optical illusion based on the lighting and the angle that the model was photographed at, but I don't think so. Although I don't have the Hummel kit, I do have Scott's X-wing kit, and I can't make the part look like the picture no matter how I position it.

So, again, unless Scott's part isn't the same as the part from the kit, either the Hummel kit was retooled at some stage, or the ILM guys thickened the wall up, or the part is from a different kit (I don't know anything much at all about big tank kits, or tanks in general, so I don't know how likely this last option is).

Good analysis. I was wracking my brain last night trying to make the part in front of me and my source pics match up. I see what you mean about the thickness of the raised border, and the rivets.

In fact, the other Hummel jack half isn't 100%, either. It, too, has a bit of a raised border in reference pics but the Hummel part has none.

The parts are close enough for my tastes, but you've raised some interesting possibilities. As you say, they either aren't from this kit or it was retooled. Anyone have a copy of this kit that was produced in '75 or so?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back