Narcissa Malfoy theatrical wand build

Rnmld91

It's common knowledge to most wand-obsessed fans that Narcissa Malfoy is shown using two different character wands: the one seen used by Narcissa and Draco in the DH part 1 and 2 movies respectively, and the more well known one used in the publicity/promo images and posters which is also the same one sold as a replica. These wands are both official in the sense that they were clearly both designed for the movies, but there's no clear reason given as to why there's two versions. As the movie version isn't for sale anywhere, I naturally took it upon myself to work on a movie version, but with ebony and real metal parts to make it more authentic. I had a clear enough picture from The Wand Collection book that I could use to calculate approximate handle dimensions in proportion to its length, knowing the total length of the wand is listed as 12.25 inches.
I was also inspired by user dcn5002's insane Slughorn replica made with aluminium parts.

IMG_5102.jpgIMG_5261.jpg
So I got to work on it using copper sheet instead of a silver-colored metal the original wand is clearly portrayed with, mostly due to the fact that I have tons of copper lying around, and I thought it would be a good practice metal as it is easy to work with.
The parts shown are all made by cutting, drilling, piercing, and hammering against a steel ring mandrel. They were all then brazed together carefully.

The bottom pyramid-shaped pommel part was made by cutting out a sheet of (mostly equal sized) conjoined triangles, then filed in the lines separating them. I then pliered them around into a mostly-decent pyramid shape. One of the triangle shapes were too irregular so in the end I re-cut a single triangle shape about the right size I needed and brazed it back in place, if that makes sense to any of you. I left a bit of an oxidized finish on the pommel.

The top handle/guard separation was the most challenging part. It was made from NINE different parts, by a combination of different tubular pieces and conical pieces made using the mandrel. The grooves in the top portion were filed in using a thin precision file. It was a bit of a trial and error thing since I had no real previous practice, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out. My sloppy work isn't really noticeable when the wand is viewed straight on if you get what I mean.

I've attached photos showing how it looked before the grooves as well as the handle studs were added.

IMG_5766.jpgIMG_5792.jpgIMG_5793.jpgIMG_5795.jpg

The handle portion with the studs took a surprisingly long time to get done. I had to carefully mark in the location with a pencil of eight rows of dots, and place them such that the alternating rows more or less lined up. This was my first time inlaying metal into wood (and ebony isn't the most inlay friendly wood), but thankfully I started out on a project that basically involved the simplest form of inlay there is. The holes were drilled in with 1mm drill bits, and the wire pieces were glued in with regular superglue then hammered in place and filed down. I did have a bit of a problem with the glue residue, as some of the metal filings got stuck in the glue before it cured. This was done by using solvent, sandpaper, a utility knife and a narrow chisel to get most of the residue out.

IMG_5856.jpg

IMG_5844.jpgIMG_5849.jpg

Overall it was a fun challenge of a build, in part because I finally got a chance to put my newly purchased wood lathe to good use. It is true what they say about ebony being a pleasure to turn. I had some trouble mounting the dowel for the shaft section, which resulted in some irregular grooves along the middle portion of the shaft. Again, not too noticeable especially after all the sanding and finishing. The parts all had to be lined up perfectly on the vise before epoxying them together.

IMG_5846.jpg IMG_5858.jpgIMG_5852.jpgIMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5854.jpg

Hope you enjoyed reading this!

Last edited by a moderator:
That turned out really nice! I've been making several wands wands recently, but I've only been tackling the more simple ones I can model from wood and polyclay. This is another level!

thepoynt Thanks! I've been making wands for a while now, but this is my first one with metal parts. I have some experience with metalworking so it feels good to finally combine the two skills together on a single piece.

Nice work! I've been making wands for a while now, and have been trying different techniques and materials as well. I've been asked to make one out of ebony (which I've worked with a lot) and some slivers of ivory, which may be a challenge. Anyway, your work here has inspired me to try to incorporate some metal as well.

Someotherguy Thanks, I totally encourage you to try it! I've been looking at the newly released FB wands and some of the designs look very inspiring. Spielman's in particular looks like it might be made of ebony along with some ivory elements.

Do0fDJOW0AEvcJs.jpg

@Someotherguy Thanks, I totally encourage you to try it! I've been looking at the newly released FB wands and some of the designs look very inspiring. Spielman's in particular looks like it might be made of ebony along with some ivory elements.

View attachment 847888
I got some ideas, but the problem is I've only got a small amount to work with so I don't want to screw it up. As much as I like working with genuine materials, there are some good options for realistic alternatives. I'm not sure where you're located, but Lee Valley carries nice artificial bone, ivory, etc that is very workable and looks quite good: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=76093&cat=1,250,43243
I've used the bone a couple of times and have been quite happy with the results.

Interesting! I've always been thinking about working with something like ivory, but in an ethical way of course. I live in Dubai, so naturally many of my material purchases are done online. I've been thinking of getting my hands on a large enough block of material to work on a Voldemort wand, just because I primarily love replicating (I'm just not creative enough to come up with original designs, and I don't get that much of a thrill from making non-replica wands anyway). I might get around to doing Spielman's one day though, thanks for the link!

I realize it's been forever since I posted here, but I thought I'd update you with something I made about a year ago. I know this thread is regarding the theatrical wand, but I thought I might share the Noble/concept drawing version of the wand I made from aluminum and ebony. A little over a year ago I began trying out sand/delft clay casting, and I've been able to get decent results. The models I used were turned on the lathe, and a lot of careful work was done after to file in the grooves and the facets for the pyramid shaped pommel. I mounted the pieces on my basic drill to get a proper sanded finish.

The little studs were galvanized steel wire. It would have been a lot easier to use aluminum wire but it's what I had available. It was more challenging doing the wire inlay on this piece than the copper version, due to the hardness of the steel and the curved/bowed shape of the ebony handle.
The crosshatching design, or knurling as its known, was done with a jeweller's saw. On the top separate tube piece (which was separately glued on) I carefully drew out the lines with a pencil two at a time across from each other to insure they were aligned more or less properly (if that makes any sense).

I realize there's still a bit of glue residue that I can't be bothered to scrape off just because I'd already spent so much time cleaning up and working on the inlay.

Hope you enjoy (and sorry for the very large images hehe)!

IMG_7648.jpg

IMG_7589.jpg

IMG_7482.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg
IMG_7818.jpg

IMG_7822.jpg

IMG_7825.jpg

IMG_7823.jpg
IMG_7820.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7589.jpg
    IMG_7589.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 123

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back