Search for Spock irritated me.
Voyage Home was fun...
The rest of it... meh.

Next Generation was Trek.
DS9 and Voyager... meh.

Enterprise: really?

TNG movies: Crap. All of it. Garbage.

Don't even get me started on JJ Drek...

The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock felt like series arcs of the TV show, with bigger budgets and production value.

Those are the only movies with TOS cast that I enjoyed. I grew up with TNG and DS9, and a bit of Voyager (which I couldn't get into), so the TNG cast movies were alright, but nothing stellar.

Calling the rest of it bad fan fiction is a bit disingenuous, because some good stuff has come out in each series since their original runs ended.

That's why I specified televised Trek. At least the even numbered TOS movies were decent. I honestly have no love for any other Trek series. It all became a neon nightmare.

This video is very educational, in terms of the current Star Trek cinematic universe:

It appears that they want to scale back to doing these films on the cheap with a glorified TV budget, like they did in the post-TMP era.

Remember the “army” of only a dozen borg suits seen in “First Contact”...?

Remember the special effects of “WOK and how it had 100% recycled shots of the Enterprise from “TMP” for the first half of the movie (until the first battle sequence)?

Remember the recycled TV sets from TNG being used as sets for the Enterprise in Trek V and Trek VI?

Ah, the glory days...

Last edited by a moderator:
....and this time there is no Harve Bennet to pull the Mounts arse out of the fire........or is there?

This video is very educational, in terms of the current Star Trek cinematic universe:

https://youtu.be/kOys0IusW2U

It appears that they want to scale back to doing these films on a glorified TV budget, like they did in the post-TMP era.

Remember the “army” of only a dozen borg suits seen in “First Contact”...?

Not to sidetrack too much, but B5's CGI looks awful today largely because nobody ever bothered to preserve the underlying elements separate from the old low definition material. Theres literally no way to upscale it now. There isn't enough information in the frames, and because they mixed live action shots with CGI and only kept the final low definition composite, there's no way to separate the elements, upcode them and recombine them.

They looked awesome...for a 90s show with a fairly low budget.

The thing is, the core story, although presented in a very "90s" style, is still pretty amazing and -- in my opinion-- timeless. And it has some truly amazing performances that only really reveal themselves over time.

I haven't watched DS9 beyond some of the first season, so it may pick up, but other Trek shows' strength is in its individual interesting episodes and the ideas they explore. Larger narratives aren't really part of the show, but that's fine. Both franchises have good stories. They're just told differently.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

...and also the fact, that for series TV, the CG was done Amiga computers, and they used the Video Toaster editing system, which was bargain basement budget for its time. .

Just spent the morning watching ST 2, 3, and 4 on STARZ. My God, why can't they just make Star Trek movies like this now? Three almost perfect Trek movies in a row. Was it just something about the 80s that made producing a good Trek movie possible?

Oh there was plenty of bitching about 3 and 4 during that time, just was’nt immortalized on the Internet! :lol

Just spent the morning watching ST 2, 3, and 4 on STARZ. My God, why can't they just make Star Trek movies like this now? Three almost perfect Trek movies in a row. Was it just something about the 80s that made producing a good Trek movie possible?

Really? I was at the end of high school and on up into college during those times. I went to plenty of conventions and seem to only recall good things being said about them. Of course, that could just be selective memory on my part.

Other than possibly some gripes about the comedic aspects of IV, what were some of the other criticisms?

I don't remember bitching about 3 and 4 at the time they came out. I remember seeing both of them the day they came out and liking both of them and thought they were a great continuation of the TOS movies. Of course I also liked 5 and 6 but that is for another thread.

IV for me was a big WTF in my circle.
Changing gears into an environmental comedy with Spock yucking it up was stripping the gears, not fun at all for me.
Especially after III which I felt was epic, we got Spock back and I was ready for boldly going again into the final frontier with the old school
and got a sit-com instead.
OK for a TV series to have comedy episodes now and then but for movies I just was not wanting that at all. Some of it was very painful
to watch, all that double dumb ass stuff and "wessels", Scotty talking to the mouse. Very popular stuff I guess but for me... Ugh.
And people still are shocked... wahhhhh? you didn't like IV????? LOL
Perhaps I take Trek too seriously.

I completely agree.

Trek IV: Save The Whales is the least of the Treks for me and it has aged the worst with a horrible soundtrack that sounds like it was combined with the leftovers from an 80’s buddy cop comedy (the gratIng, horrible, saxaphone and synth keyboard) and a cheap animated movie. The jokes are “ok” but mostly fall flat for me now and 1986 is pretty hard on the eyes for anyone who was alive at the time.

IV for me was a big WTF in my circle.
Changing gears into an environmental comedy with Spock yucking it up was stripping the gears, not fun at all for me.
Especially after III which I felt was epic, we got Spock back and I was ready for boldly going again into the final frontier with the old school
and got a sit-com instead.
OK for a TV series to have comedy episodes now and then but for movies I just was not wanting that at all. Some of it was very painful
to watch, all that double dumb ass stuff and "wessels", Scotty talking to the mouse. Very popular stuff I guess but for me... Ugh.
And people still are shocked... wahhhhh? you didn't like IV????? LOL
Perhaps I take Trek too seriously.

Last edited:
IV was my gateway into Trek around the time it came to TV.

IV was my gateway into Trek also, probably the first movie in the series I saw. As a kid, I was 6 when it came out, I thought it was funny. Today, man, talk about corny and dated. It's the one old school Trek film I pretend doesn't exist. I can stomach TMP better than IV, and I don't like the majority of TMP.

The Motion picture is class, Wrath of Kahn was good, but the rest are pretty poor to be honest. I think the Abrams stuff has brought some life back into what for me was dead in the water.

I can say with a perfectly straight face that I think being a Trekkie in the 70s gave you a different perspective on the TOS films. I just watched a KRON-TV raw film archive from teh opening of the Federation Trading Post on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley, talking about “a new film will start production in the fall” a good 3 yrs before TMP actually started.

I guess you had to be there, hearing about Trek starting up for YEARS with false hopes, false starts, rumours of wacky scripts, tales of contract disputes. When we finally got the cast together and got to see them trekkin’ again, it was a blessing.

Impressions as I watched them on theatrical release.
TMP - I liked when it came out. But I thought the huge budget = space battles galore. Still it was an epic film for the time - even though it wasn't much like ST OT as I knew it.
WOK - This is everything I wanted. It's still a textbook on how to do ST right on the big screen. Balance of Terror meets Space Seed. How to make an 11 million budget look like 25 million. I rewatched it many times in the theater by myself. Good times.
SFS - Hated it. How to make a 16 million budget look like 5 million. I guess it was going for the TV look, but why? I guess the part where the son gets stabbed is supposed to be suspenseful but the way it's shot makes it look amateurish. I missed Kirstie Alley. And why is Reverand Jim (from Taxi) a Klingon? He doesn't sound like a Klingon and he even carries over his signature dumbfounded facial expression.
TVH - Had it's moments but overall, meh. It looked better than SFS, at least and a lot of the jokes worked. But even for 1986 this was a bit too conveniently "on the nose" about the conservation message without actually making any logical argument. Did they have to use an entire ST movie for a World Wildlife Fund PSA? I'm pretty sure I facepalmed most of the time in the theater.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back