I'm a man after Amanaman, man

camprandall

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, in light of wanting to do something challenging for Star Wars Celebration Chicago next year, I decided to give a screen-accurate, wearable and 501st approvable Amanaman a try. It's going to be tricky and I'll probably make a ton of mistakes - or perhaps fail completely - but it will be fun anyways.

Overall, I plan to build this nearly entirely out of foam with a latex skin and some basic internal structure where needed. My arms will likely end at his elbows, where I will hold pvc pipe that extends to the hands so I can raise the arms. I'd really like to be able to walk in this thing and that will be essential. I also really want to fit some fans and headroom in it too so that there is a little bit of breathing room. I'm guessing at the moment that I will see out of his mouth, but not sure on that one yet.

So here are a handful of crappy references and off we go!

6p3wt1U.jpg

RvIlTyq.jpg

FqK5VKd.jpg

TPJJX1t.jpg

eSk6M8q.jpg

SZVCaI2.jpg

sm8i5Gq.jpg

wf0eIec.jpg

Last edited:
So this will take a while, but I did start working on the feet and legs yesterday. I'm mostly just trying to figure out approach. I decided to glue some flip-flops to some anti-fatigue padding so that the feet stay stable and the "sole" has some firmness to it.

ucg6FBi.jpg

6aakDB9.jpg

yCgtrHL.jpg

I glued a "shell" of green foam over top so I could stuff it and get that rounded fat look.

A4a43Wi.jpg

uvOmAQG.jpg

I then cut the thighs with a slant, which is also where I plan to velcro them to the body suit. I added an abs ring to give it a little bit of bump at the knee as well, though I later removed it so I can reposition.

z3MOvuu.jpg

And as you can see, I made it a little short so I decided to lengthen it, which also gives it some interesting shape.

PFlHOzD.jpg

Ok, I finally have an update!

And the update is - this was a really stupid idea. I started building out the arms and did a little scale testing and there's just no way my body will fit in that suit properly unless I lose about a foot of width across the shoulders. Further, the head, hands and feet definitely need to be casted. So in a nutshell - this was a fun diversion, but now it's time to get back to building the next vintage Action Figure Kenner costume - or whatever else is actually possible.

Later!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back