My No-So-Screen-Accurate MacReady Tape Recorder from The Thing.

CB2001

Master Member
Yes, it's the same model and make of the one in the film (including the microphone). The General Electric Model 3-5121 (aka 3-5121A). Before you ask about the microphone, my Dad and I suspect it's a GE microphone (I bought the microphone from a separate auction, which didn't have any info either. After looking up other auctions for other GE tape recorders, Dad found an auction for a GE Silhouette Series 7 tape recorder that has the same microphone, which is why we suspect it might be a GE microphone that may have been in the prop department, as the 3-5121 has a built-in microphone).

The reason why I list is as not-so-screen-accurate is the fact the cassette door has the General Electric logo, which it appears to be scratched off in the film. Since this is also an antique, I do not plan on scratching off the logo to match it completely match. And yes, it still works.

https://youtu.be/t-2fTzhDxO0

IMG_1221.JPG

The original scene for comparison:
https://youtu.be/ZH7hyzPIbp0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pretty cool. Did you find it or is it an old piece from your dad?

I found the tape recorder and the microphone separately via eBay. As soon as it came in, my Dad and I opened it up to make sure the mechanics inside still worked or if we needed to replace the belt inside (the belt was still good). Of course, when I mentioned the microphone, my Dad decided to see if he could find out about it's manufacturer (that's when he found the auction for the other GE tape recorder I mentioned which had the same microphone). I figured out what the model was a while back and posted the information on it here on the forums, it was just recently I decided to get the recorder. Finding the matching microphone was just luck. [emoji4]

My Dad, however, has helped me out on two past Thing related items (a flamethrower prop and MacReady costume, both of them no-so-screen accurate as well). He and I are both fans of Carpenter's film, so having him him help out to make sure the recorder was in working order was rather fitting, as he also grew up as a teenager repairing tech like that.

Yeah, I saw that auction, but I don't want to pay $40 some dollars for a tape recorder when all I want is that one part. :( And with the way things go, if I were to buy it, I won't be able to turn around and sell the tape recorder itself to make the money back.

Yeah, I saw that auction, but I don't want to pay $40 some dollars for a tape recorder when all I want is that one part. [emoji20] And with the way things go, if I were to buy it, I won't be able to turn around and sell the tape recorder itself to make the money back.

Well, like I said, my Dad and I think it's a GE brand microphone, but it's hard to be sure (because other GE microphones I've seen have the GE brand on it where the on/off switch on the microphone). But, even now, I'm not even sure if it is a GE brand microphone. But, keep searching eBay (the listing I found mine under was just listed as a vintage tape recorder microphone, with no mention of GE).

ADDITIONAL EDIT: I did find an auction for about six vintage reel-to-reel tape recorder microphone auction that has one. However, they're asking $49 for the lot of six. So, I recommend just keep looking and readjust your search to include other possible terms like the reel-to-reel microphone. Might be able to get lucky.

Last edited:
The one you have looks like a match to me! But I will keep looking.

Yeah, the one I have is a match. It was when I rewatched the scene did I notice the black top above the silver trim. But I paid attention to the shape of the top of the microphone to know it for sure,

But, like I said, try various search terms outside of "tape recorder microphone", like "real to reel microphone". You may get lucky.

Last edited:
Hey everyone (sorry for the necropost) I came across this thread as I've been putting my own MacReady costume/collection together over the last few months. I found this mic via ebay that I think is a close match. Unfortunately I had to buy a whole package of a vintage portable cassette player, tapes, AC plug etc and paid through the nose for it.

BUT- the brand is Sharp and the model is RD-428UA. So it's possible a Sharp brand mic in the film.

PS- The GE tape recorder is on the way too (but is stuck in transit limbo right now). I could only score the 5121-B model which has some minor differences (3rd pic).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• mic 001.JPG
    mic 001.JPG
    770.7 KB · Views: 68
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 61
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 47
Hey everyone (sorry for the necropost) I came across this thread as I've been putting my own MacReady costume/collection together over the last few months. I found this mic via ebay that I think is a close match. Unfortunately I had to buy a whole package of a vintage portable cassette player, tapes, AC plug etc and paid through the nose for it.

BUT- the brand is Sharp and the model is RD-428UA. So it's possible a Sharp brand mic in the film.

PS- The GE tape recorder is on the way too (but is stuck in transit limbo right now). I could only score the 5121-B model which has some minor differences (3rd pic).

Hope this helps.
Good for you on the tape recorder. Some minor differences, but close enough.

As for the microphone, that's interesting. I mean, my Dad and I did consider the possibility that it might be another brand, but unsure as to what.

SSgt Burton, good to "see" you again!!! Thanks for the info on the mic, it certainly looks like the screen used version.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back