Life Size Chucky ToTS - Voice Box/sound module ?

As far as I can tell, those are the only phrases that the Good Guys say (I've only checked the first two movies though), so that's what I'm going to stick with. So far I have clean sound clips of "Hi, I'm Chucky and I'm your friend to the end..." and "I like to be hugged," so I just need "wanna play?" and I'll be all set. I may have to clip that one out of the movie, since I can't find it available for download anywhere.

There are a few more here you can use !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@amadeusw

Would be awesome if we could do this !!!

<i>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNokbqBPZYY

Easily doable. (outside of the mechanical mouth movements!)

Actually.. this can all be done VERY (very) cheap.. but it all depends on how far/how much you guys wanna do.

In theory.. you could get a $2.00 sound board off eBay...

coupled with a speaker and some batteries...

all you need if a few 'switches' to trigger the audio clip playback.

However if you want to go a little bit further.. and not be limited to amount of I/O pins for audio playback...

you could couple this with an Arduino... (Pro-Mini costs roughly another $2.00 USD off ebay as well)

Then you could code it to do whatever.. and trigger playback based of whatever you want. (adding PIR sensors...etc)

If you wanted to go even further.. you could a bluetooth module to the audio board and Arduino set-up..

So you could write an app (MIT App Inventor 2 for Android based phones)... that triggers the audio playback whenever a specific button is pressed.

So outside of time/learning... the most advanced set-up (that was posted) will only cost (roughly) under $20.00 Maybe just $6-8.00 if you have battery/speaker stuff..etc

I could do this... (but I dont have a Chucky prop).... but I'd be willing to help others learn if they want.

You'd need to some audio files of the audio playback you want to trigger to start with.

Maybe start throwing a feature list together?

'shock/vibration' sensor triggered?
'distance/proximity' sensor triggered?

Full blown bluetooth and phone app controlled?

For the first two...

would it be a random playback from all audio clips on the microSD card?

Last edited:

Actually.. this can all be done VERY (very) cheap.. but it all depends on how far/how much you guys wanna do.

However if you want to go a little bit further.. and not be limited to amount of I/O pins for audio playback...

you could couple this with an Arduino... (Pro-Mini costs roughly another $2.00 USD off ebay as well)

Then you could code it to do whatever.. and trigger playback based of whatever you want. (adding PIR sensors...etc)

If you wanted to go even further.. you could a bluetooth module to the audio board and Arduino set-up..

So you could write an app (MIT App Inventor 2 for Android based phones)... that triggers the audio playback whenever a specific button is pressed.

So outside of time/learning... the most advanced set-up (that was posted) will only cost (roughly) under $20.00 Maybe just $6-8.00 if you have battery/speaker stuff..etc

I could do this... (but I dont have a Chucky prop).... but I'd be willing to help others learn if they want.

You'd need to some audio files of the audio playback you want to trigger to start with.

For the first two...

Yes, the sky's the limit...well, really the limit is my electronics knowledge. I've made lightsabers and blasters, but voice-activated sound modules are new to me. What I'm envisioning right now is a voice-activated module that would replace the momentary switch on the sound module. Upon detecting a sufficiently loud voice or other sound, it would activate and play one of the Good Guy sound clips (not sure if random or in a set sequence). I still have to do some more planning and find the right components, but luckily there's plenty of time.

True... but all you have to do it 'learn'.. and with Arduino... its easy. Lots of tutorials.. and people who have walked the path before you who share their experiences/knowledge

Adafruit even have a voice activated board if thats the route you want to go. (people have used it many props like the Dredd blaster to change ammos...etc)

Cool, let me know how it works out.

Will do !!!

Currently these are the sounds I'm going to put on it,
maybe there are a few more out there,
but for now these are the ones I found that were good guys sounds :

Hi, I'm Chucky and I'm your friend till the end. Hi-de-ho! Ha, ha, ha!
Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play ?
Hi, I like to be hugged.
Hey, wanna play ?
Hi, I'm...Tommy !!
Hi, I'm Chucky, and I wouldn't talk if I were you! Hi de-ho!
Life is short! Ha, ha, ha!

If you wanted to go even further.. you could a bluetooth module to the audio board and Arduino set-up.

For the first two...

Yes, the sky's the limit...well, really the limit is my electronics knowledge. I've made lightsabers and blasters, but voice-activated sound modules are new to me. What I'm envisioning right now is a voice-activated module that would replace the momentary switch on the sound module. Upon detecting a sufficiently loud voice or other sound, it would activate and play one of the Good Guy sound clips (not sure if random or in a set sequence). I still have to do some more planning and find the right components, but luckily there's plenty of time.

Thanks for the info, but I don't have the knowhow to assemble that stuff and certainly, no programming skills here.

I would love to see my Chucky doll voice activated as well !!!

Probably when the experts in here have their doll in their hands,
you will probably see more replies and magic happen !!!

I dont mind helping out.. with the programming as well.

I mean I could whip up a simple example tonight possibly... (depends on busy the family keeps me!) LOL

If everyone wants to go the VR route....

that may be a bit more tricky.. since I dont have one to play with.. and develop any firmware with/for...

but a simple button trigger or PIR/motion sensor I do have on hand.. and could make an example/Proof of Concept

Assembly is nothing to be concerned about really.. they either all come with connectors or have headers..or very minor soldering.

If there are any audio clips/samples available.. please post them (or send them to me).. so I can get an example going.

Maybe I can make a kit for sale or something?

My ultimate Chucky would be :
Activated by a specific phrase, if that is at all possible ?
(Like in the movie, he says Hi, I'm Andy, what's your name and then Chucky reacts to it.)
So there would have to be some sort of delay built in,
so that he reacts after 10 seconds or so and not right away,
if that makes sence.

That would be great !!!

Hopefully it can be done !!!

I would imaging it can be done.

I wont be making a prototype using VR though.... (unless someone wants to buy me a module to develop with!) LOL

I just dont have one to prototype with..

I believe I have components for all the other options though.

Easy VR modules are the most popular I have seen in projects..

But here is a list of several others:
https://1sheeld.com/top-5-arduino-voice-control-modules/

I would imaging it can be done.

I wont be making a prototype using VR though.... (unless someone wants to buy me a module to develop with!) LOL

I just dont have one to prototype with..

I believe I have components for all the other options though.

Easy VR modules are the most popular I have seen in projects..

But here is a list of several others:
https://1sheeld.com/top-5-arduino-voice-control-modules/

So for example this one :
Easy VR Shield :

Instead of using the pre-installed commands, create your own and then somehow program the arduino to play the sound clips you want.

Not easy I imagine.

I dont believe it would be difficult.

My understanding is that most/all VR boards have to be 'trained' to learn the voice command they are to respond to.

Perhaps this is simpler ?
Make a sound and it triggers a random sound clip from your sound board/module ?
And perhaps it's also possible in the coding to put some kind
of delay between hearing the sound and it triggering the playback ?

I'm not sure that is a VR (Voice Recognition) board is it?

Seems to just be an 'audio' detection board.. that trips a relay (which I dont think you'd need either?)

And yes a delay can be coded in without issues. (actually NOT using a delay.. but a non-blocking millis counter would be better)

I'm not sure that is a VR (Voice Recognition) board is it?

Seems to just be an 'audio' detection board.. that trips a relay (which I dont think you'd need either?)

And yes a delay can be coded in without issues. (actually NOT using a delay.. but a non-blocking millis counter would be better)

Yes just an audio sensor board, would also work I guess, when using the delay option.

So I need :
- a sound sensor
- some sort of sound module with speaker and couple of mb's storage
( like the one I ordered from BigDawgsGreetings, see a few posts back )
- delay coding or millis counter
- couple of wires
- coding software

Anything else ?

Also I want it to be as small as possible, because it has to go somewhere beneath the clothing or something.

Well I guess it depdns on the functionality you are after..

If you want any audio detecting to be picked up... you cant really trigger a 'specific' action/response..

Best you could do is randomize it.

I suggest:

* DFPlayer Mini (audio playback board with built in amp already...ready to go out of the gate.. and doesnt get much smaller than this) (couple bucks USD off ebay)

* Arduino Pro-Mini (or Arduino Nano if you want as easy to use as possibly).. Pro-Mini is about as small as it gets.. with Nano being not much bigger (couple bucks USD off ebay)

* Speaker (couple bucks USD off ebay)

* Batteries - this you need to think about.
--- Both the DFPlayer and the Arduino Pro-MIni/Nano should be running off +5v (so unless you want to use a cell phone charger, because most are +5v output). you dont see many battery packs rated @ +5v.. usually slightt under or above...etc..

--- so if you decide to use 4 x AAA batteries or a +7.4v li-ion re-chargeable pack.. (whatever).. you need to regulate this down a stable/solid +5v for your project..

--- so (maybe) a +5v voltage regulator

* Wire** (what kind though? where is all this going to be secured to? a breadboard? perfboard? deadbug approach?)

* A couple of resistors (2 x 1k 1/4 watt resistors for the speaker lines to keep noise out)

* Arduino IDE to upload code to your board (free)

* Audio files

* Micro SD card

Well I guess it depdns on the functionality you are after..

If you want any audio detecting to be picked up... you cant really trigger a 'specific' action/response..

Best you could do is randomize it.

I suggest:

* DFPlayer Mini (audio playback board with built in amp already...ready to go out of the gate.. and doesnt get much smaller than this) (couple bucks USD off ebay)

* Arduino Pro-Mini (or Arduino Nano if you want as easy to use as possibly).. Pro-Mini is about as small as it gets.. with Nano being not much bigger (couple bucks USD off ebay)

* Speaker (couple bucks USD off ebay)

* Batteries - this you need to think about.
--- Both the DFPlayer and the Arduino Pro-MIni/Nano should be running off +5v (so unless you want to use a cell phone charger, because most are +5v output). you dont see many battery packs rated @ +5v.. usually slightt under or above...etc..

--- so if you decide to use 4 x AAA batteries or a +7.4v li-ion re-chargeable pack.. (whatever).. you need to regulate this down a stable/solid +5v for your project..

--- so (maybe) a +5v voltage regulator

* Wire** (what kind though? where is all this going to be secured to? a breadboard? perfboard? deadbug approach?)

* A couple of resistors (2 x 1k 1/4 watt resistors for the speaker lines to keep noise out)

* Arduino IDE to upload code to your board (free)

* Audio files

* Micro SD card

Yeah random playback, 1 audio detection plays 1 random sound file.
Batteries is the way to go.
No experience at all with this stuff,

I've seen what the so called breadboard is, when looking at some video's the last couple of days, but other than that, I have no clue hiw it all works.
Perfboard and deadbug, hmmmm, nothing comes to mind LOL.

Wathever is smallest to work with.

I hope these items are also available in Europe ?

Also amadeusw what are your thoughts about this, sounds good, no ?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back