B-Wing Pilot Helmet build

GrahamT

Here's some progress on my B-wing Pilot Helmet kit produced by Blue Leader. Despite being a resin/fibreglass cast, rather than vac-form styrene, this has been really lovely to work on. The graphics and first-blast weathering are done. Next will be greeblies and final weathering.

This isn't based on any one helmet in the archives... As I'll only ever get to own one B-wing helmet, I'm going for a "greatest hits" in terms of graphics and greeblies, but it's mostly inspired by the helmet with the 2-tone visor and red warning stripes.

This helmet is crying out for a visor :cry

Thanks to Ywingfighter and Blue Leader for all their advise.

IMG_1438.JPG
30713600_10157660160562588_1578158743340711936_n.jpg

Looking at the colour scheme again... blue, green, red stripes... I think this is the Buzz Lightyear Livery!

Looking good. Glad you're enjoying it. They're always neat helmets and a fun build. :)

I'm actually looking into the possibility of being able to make visors. Gonna do some tests with Worbla and PET-G.

Looking good. Glad you're enjoying it. They're always neat helmets and a fun build. :)

I'm actually looking into the possibility of being able to make visors. Gonna do some tests with Worbla and PET-G.

These are great!!!!!

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

Oh cool. So will the Worbla be shaped into the vac form buck? That's a clever idea.

Loving the greeblies in this kit :)

I'm trying to match the 2-tone visor helmet with the red warning stripes, but the greeblies on that helmet are a bit basic, so I'm going freestyle to make as much use of what the kit supplies.

IMG_1442.JPG

Oh cool. So will the Worbla be shaped into the vac form buck? That's a clever idea.

Loving the greeblies in this kit :)

I'm trying to match the 2-tone visor helmet with the red warning stripes, but the greeblies on that helmet are a bit basic, so I'm going freestyle to make as much use of what the kit supplies.
Yeah, I'll try to heat the Worbla/PET-G over the buck and bend it in by hand. Don't know if it'll work but in theory it should, especially seeing and it's really not that complicated of a shape. I've gotta figure out what plastic will work best, too... Worbla is easy to find and fairly cheap, but I've heard that the clear Worbla isn't entirely clear, that it's a little cloudy. Not sure if polishing it would help or not. I've heard that PET-G is stronger and clearer, and just as easy to heat and bend, but I have no clue where to find any without having to buy it in bulk. So I'm doing some investigating. Hopefully in around a month or two I can start popping out some visors.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back