Any tips on afterburner flame FX

whb64

As the title says... does anyone have any good tips on doing afterburner/thruster flame or plume FX?

When I was a kid I remember using cellophane and shaping it into a 'flame', and then painting it. One time I even used a wheat bulb (no LEDs back then) and as a kid and from what I remember it looked kinda cool. But I just don't think that look cuts it now. What I want it for is the thruster/afterburner plume when the Viper kicks in the three engines at full power... that look. Does anyone know how to achieve that look? I'd like to do it on other ships too if it's possible.

I did see someone do a cool CO2 effect with an Iron Man suit they made, but to do that in a model it would have to be a pretty big scale, much bigger than a 1/32 scale. I tried searching but sometimes my Google Fu isn't the greatest. I figure if anyone has done it then it would be someone on here :)

Yeah, as mentioned above, cotton, or some kind of filling material lit up might be your best bet.

You could also possibly build it as an insert that can be easily added or removed. Basically put the LEDs in the engine. Use a slightly smaller diameter tube/ring that fits inside the engine can and glue the material to that ring/tube.

Then you can remove it when it is not lit up, and easily add it back when it is lit up

Hope that makes sense and I conveyed that correctly

Your other option is some kind of clear/frosted resin casting you could make. Just make a master flame and cast in clear and then give it a lit layer of white paint or something, or sandblast it. When lit up it should give a good effect

Again you can make it removeable as well

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back