Tips on building models w/tremors, even Parkinson's

ShadoControl

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, over the last decade, my nervous system disorder and hand/arm tremors have become more pronounced. Frankly, when it started, I stopped building and doing any fine work.

Kinda tired of it and want to pursue and find options. An recent inspiration was at my local IPMS model show. A guy with a tremor more significant than mine had built a break-away Command / LEM paper model and I watched as he fixed some issues due to transporting it to the show. I didn't want to interrupt him while he was concentrating, but I couldn't find him after.

So, anyone have any tips or experiences on how I can overcome this?

(Please DM me if you feel uncomfortable posting in this forum.)

Thanks!!!
Dan

(I did a search and didn't find a dedicated thread on this so posting here)

I wouldn't mind some insight on this as well. I don't have Parkinson's, but I do have a peripheral neuropathy (Charcot-Marie Tooth disease) and I do have mild tremors at times. My lower legs and feet are more affected, but I have taken up weightlifting in the last six months to help maintain and increase upper body strength; I have been lifting a dumbbell from a seated position (to keep the weight off my feet). Started a few months ago with 10 pounds, and now I'm working the biceps and triceps on alternating days; five sets of 20 reps, currently up to 45 pounds (and planning to add some shoulder lifts soon). I can definitely tell and see a difference -- and so can my wife.

Unbeknownst to me, I have been battling this nonsense since I was in my early 20s, but I didn't get a proper diagnosis until I was in my early 40s. For my hands, I can get numbness on the inner three fingers and mild tremors that vary in intensity.

The one thing I know to do is vary my tasks to keep from having my hands doing one thing for too long. I'll often have more than one project in progress, which is helpful in changing things up for that purpose. One other thing I do that helps is to use my left hand to help steady my right hand. It certainly reduces any instability at the point of attack, as it were — seriously dampening any unwanted motion from either hand. I have also adapted the classic technique often used by painters and draftsmen, where you don't draw or paint (or anything requiring similar motion) using the hand and wrist, but by moving the rest of the arm. I don't know how much of this, if any, will translate to anyone else, but it has helped me adapt.

SSB

Last edited:
I also have a mild shake when holding pieces between thumb and index fingers (less on the left side). I have concocted a "wrist rest" (a simple piece of a 3" foam in height) that I use to glue, paint and manipulate little pieces. It seems that by-passing the wrist from the hand and resting it (forearm included) is less stressful than just holding things with the whole arm. I have also a 5" high piece when I airbrush.;)

Thank you both for your insight! I do have some foam I can try, might be too soft, if so, I'll find firmer foam.

I have tried moving the arm and not wrist/hand, but by example, I'm repainting the hood of my POS Corolla and I can't get an unwavering line across it. I should do 75% w/overlap and I just can't make it happen.

I think I'll see about stress rubber exercise bands as resistance to help.

I am in a similar situation. Got permanent nerve damage from the medications I am on. Stopped building models and fixing digital cameras. The tremors vary in intensity during the day. Food falls off the fork when I try to eat and typing on the laptop is a chore. Constantly having to correct for unintended double key strokes. So far, I can still do 3D modelling in Cinema 4D (thank heaven for that).

Thank you both for your insight! I do have some foam I can try, might be too soft, if so, I'll find firmer foam.

I have tried moving the arm and not wrist/hand, but by example, I'm repainting the hood of my POS Corolla and I can't get an unwavering line across it. I should do 75% w/overlap and I just can't make it happen.

I think I'll see about stress rubber exercise bands as resistance to help.
I use blue insulation foam (1" thickness).;)

Food falls off the fork when I try to eat and typing on the laptop is a chore. Constantly having to correct for unintended double key strokes. So far, I can still do 3D modelling in Cinema 4D (thank heaven for that).
Heaven help me if the cup/glass is just too full ... almost half of the content will end up all over from trying to keep it level.

Your perseverance w/Cinema 4D helps fuel mine, thanks!

I know that this is a new therapy for Parkinson...but interesting non-the-less.

New treatment for tremors: Cutting-edge brain surgery with no cutting​

OHSU becomes the first in Oregon to offer focused ultrasound to immediately relieve symptoms of essential tremor, or tremor-dominant Parkinson’s disease

This really needs to be pinned, I feel. I have a fear (possibly irrational, but it can happen to anyone) of someday developing neurological issues that affect my fine motor skills, and having a resource specific to my hobbies would be really good to have around.

This really needs to be pinned, I feel. I have a fear (possibly irrational, but it can happen to anyone) of someday developing neurological issues that affect my fine motor skills, and having a resource specific to my hobbies would be really good to have around.
Not only a resource, but also fellow modelers who care and anyone with challenges can have confidence in being supported.

It's been less than a week ... and I went from some concerns about revealing my frustrations and not posting about it -to- some excellent support and ideas that I will apply and see that I can greatly reduce that frustration and get back into modeling.

Maybe as a pinned post, it could be more general? I'm sure besides neurological some have vision, loss of limbs, allergies, etc that affect enjoying the hobby.

Not only a resource, but also fellow modelers who care and anyone with challenges can have confidence in being supported.

It's been less than a week ... and I went from some concerns about revealing my frustrations and not posting about it -to- some excellent support and ideas that I will apply and see that I can greatly reduce that frustration and get back into modeling.

Maybe as a pinned post, it could be more general? I'm sure besides neurological some have vision, loss of limbs, allergies, etc that affect enjoying the hobby.
As we age, our thinking about our body has to change also. It's true that a number of reasons can affect us anytime at any age.
But seeing that you're not the only one with this type of challenge is an eye opener for some and it really helps to see what others have done to stop/minimize the problem in general. While some tricks are great for a particular individual, your imagination will devise something that's just for you and only you.;)(y)(y)

I suffer from a TBI (assault in 2007) that causes weakness and nerve misfunction on my left side, affects my cognition and comprehension, and causes migraine headaches and seizures. I'll often drop parts, forget what I'm doing, or even freeze in place when I have a petite mal episode (this caused me to melt a couple of models that I was using a heat gun on at the time!).

Don't ask about the one I lost during a grand mal. That one still hurts.

Whatever is bothering any of us: stress, hunger and fatigue can make it worse. If you're having a bad modelling session, just take an extra break or two during it. If needbe, put it away until later.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back