Stash is on the way!!

whb64

I made this observation on another modeling forum and it is so true...
It's interesting how we think and how one thing leads to another. After around 30 years being out of the hobby I wanted to get back into it. I needed something in my life other than work. I work 9-10 hour days at my normal job, and then I work on renovating an old 1873 Gothic church into a bar/restaurant. I needed something that was fun and relaxing... and NOT work! :)

I have every Playmates Trek ship there is, as well as some Diamond Select ships, and they look nice but just aren't 'satisfying'. So I jumped back in and started with Trek builds. It was fun at first (until I literally went blind last year) but all the electronics for lighting... the Aztec paint masks... all the detail... well when I started seeing Aztec patterns in my sleep I knew I needed to step back. I decided to work on Battlestar Galactica kits, and my Viper build was a lot of fun and brought back memories. Then the Viper lost a battle with one of my wife's cats and it ate the wiring off the turbine motors and arduino... lost my vision, and that was that until my surgery.

Got my sight back ( :) ) and started fixing the Viper, that's when I got on a 1/32 scale kick. I thought it would be cool to see various scifi fighters all in scale to each other. Right now I have a ton of ships that come out pretty close to 32 scale- an X-Wing, some A-Wings, Y-Wing, Tie Fighters, Tie Bomber... and THEN I wanted to see how they looked respective to actual fighter jets! I got a bit side tracked when I landed a Bandai PG Falcon, so then I needed a 72 scale X-Wing! Now I am on a 72 scale kick!

So one thing seems to lead to another, then another and... well... I think most know what its like :)
I have a nice stash coming early next week- A Cylon Base Star (from eBay) and the rest are all 72 scale- Academy JU-87g Stuka, Academy F-4J "Showtime 100", Academy F/A-18 Jolly Roger, Hobbyboss F4U-4 Corsair, Bandai A-Wing, and the Moebius Viper MK II two pack! After I build these I want to do some kit bashing like I did when I was a kid. Lot's of fun on the way! I wish I could find a 72 scale Buck Rogers Starfighter, but I might have to wait until I can have one 3D printed.

The Cylon Base Star just showed up!
I can't begin to say how many memories this brought back! It's smaller than I remember but still a nice size. Very basic kit, not many parts but looks really cool! This will be a lot of fun to light. I already have an extra sound board and speaker... so lots of sounds and phrases from the show will be added :)

- - - Updated - - -

There is one out there but sold out on this site. Happy hunting. Cant wait to see your projects!

http://fantastic-plastic.com/Thunderfighter Catalog Page.htm
Yeah I emailed them and sadly they are no longer going to make them. He said there is no interest in them... which I find odd, but if he could sell them I am sure he'd be making them.

The Cylon Base Star just showed up!
I can't begin to say how many memories this brought back! It's smaller than I remember but still a nice size. Very basic kit, not many parts but looks really cool! This will be a lot of fun to light. I already have an extra sound board and speaker... so lots of sounds and phrases from the show will be added :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I emailed them and sadly they are no longer going to make them. He said there is no interest in them... which I find odd, but if he could sell them I am sure he'd be making them.

The starfighter is my favorite. I wish someone would do a resin garage kit again.

There are a couple out there for around $100. They are 1/32 scale so I'll probably end up getting one for my 32 scale collection. I wish there was a 1/72 scale one too though.

I'm sure many out there have gone through this :)

This is so frustrating... I checked the tracking and my order from ScaleHobbyist is sitting at UPS 15 miles away but they don't deliver on Saturday so now I have to wait until Monday!

Still that was really fast shipping, I placed my order last Wednesday evening and it will be here Monday. It's just frustrating knowing it's 15 miles from me and I can't have it for two more days!

I don't even have these kits yet and I already am looking at more! Eventually I'll have all the Bandai 1/72 scale ships, but I have so many that I want!

I am not sure what to get next... the big Star Destroyer (not sure what the model # is or name of the class ship), a Buck Rogers Starfighter/Thunderfighter, or the 1/53 scale Revell AT-AT. Oh... also on the list is the Revell of Germany TOS/JJPrise 2 pack kit, the TOS Galactica (just got my Cylon Base Star) and a ton of other less expensive kits. I found a guy that makes studio scale kits and he has a 1/14 scale (26" in length) Thunderfighter from the molds of the kit he designed for Chronicle Collectables and I REALLY want one!

The kits I will be getting tomorrow are all snap kits, but all highly detailed kits. I should be able to plow through them pretty quick since I am not doing any lighting and they will be out of the box builds done to show scale.

In a month or so modelling will be on hold for a bit while I move into 'the castle'. The plus side is I'll have more than enough room to display all my builds! :)

I'm off today and just sitting here... my package is 'out for delivery'. Wasted day as far as building. I go back to work tomorrow and then am off for 3 days, so I'll have to wait another 3 days before I can get into some serious building. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve!

It Arrived! WOW is all I can say. These 'snap kits' are beautiful. I can't begin to describe the detail in these 'cheap' kits. They are not cheap construction wise just the price.

Academy and HobbyBoss are amazing! The detail for a 1/72 is spot on right down to the rivets. I thought Bandai was good, these are just as nice. And the HobbyBoss Coarair is thick and heavy, nothing cheap and thin/brittle about it. In fact I have never seen a model of any scale this 'thick'. The fuselage is one piece and completely solid. the bottom piece with the wings is also pretty solid and the two fit together with virtually no seams. The detail is incredible.

Then there are the Academy kits. The scale is making me giddy seeing them next to the Bandai X-Wing. Again the detail is amazing... right down to the rivets! The F-4 Phantom and F-18 are roughly an inch longer than the X-Wing and a bit wider at the wing span. It is a really nice size comparison to real world fighter jets. I will definitely be getting more real world planes from both HobbyBoss and Academy.

The Moebius Mark II Vipers... not a snap kit, but the parts still fit pretty tight for the sub assemblies. The detail isn't as crisp or detailed as the Academy or HobbyBoss but okay I guess. Fit is and finish is probably the biggest issue with this kit. It definitely will take some sanding and maybe even putty on some seams. The cool thing is there are two ships, so I can build one in flight and on with the landing gear.

And then there is the Bandai A-Wing. Beautiful as always. This is just my second Bandai kit and I am not disappointed. I will be doing this one last because I will be doing the most detail and weathering on it. What I love about Star Wars builds, especially the Rebel ships is that they are so 'imperfect'. They really are hard to mess up. The only thing I can think of as far as messing them up is making them 'too' distressed... something I'm probably guilty of with my 1/32 Viper build. But damage and wear still looks good. I'll be doing the A-Wing with an aluminum plate and stainless steel base coat and using the hair spray technique for some of the weathering. I'm going to test something for the red panels, which will also have a base of the Metalizers for weathering. I'll talk about that in a separate thread.

Sounds like your off to a great collection with all those kits.

I've recently picked up some real world 1/72 kits for the reason you mentioned about being able to see side by side ships from different universes/series toghter in scale. I have the Hasegawa FA-18C and the Academy A-10

Speaking of which, the 1/72 Moebius Battlestar kits are quite good as well and they are all twin packs so you can build one landed, one in flight etc...

I just wish they would have done the original series Viper and Cylon Raider in this scale as well

Here I have the MK VII with the Bandai T-70 X-wing and Space Battleship Yamato Cosmo Zero (closer in size to something like and F-15)

And the BSG 1/72 stuff with some of my Star Wars 1/72 stuff

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back