Scrambled-Attack on the Egg-Star.

Eagle-1

Sr Member
I'm not sure how many are fans, but I enjoy Egg planes and other cartoony and deformed type model kits. I've have numerous Hasegawa egg planes in my collection and a fair pile of the World War Toon vehicles.

I have the Moebius "Superdeformed" Viper Mark 2 for some time now:

DSCN0165-50-50.jpg

That's not what this thread is about.

Having that one, it was recommended that this was available to go along with it. Since I do like these egg models anyway, I just picked up one of these in case I want to have some battles:

DSCN0571a.jpg

That ain't what this thread is about either, I'm getting there.

That Raider comes from a garage kit fella and along with that, he sent me this which finally, told y'all I would, gets to the point of this thread:

DSCN0570a.jpg

I thought, "this is a very cool model"!

Here's what's in the box.

DSCN0576.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

I decided to start putting this one into service first.

Rob.

Last edited:
That looks really nicely done for a garage kit. Not many pinholes or other major flaws in the casting visible. I'll definitely be watching to see how it comes out.

That looks really nicely done for a garage kit. Not many pinholes or other major flaws in the casting visible. I'll definitely be watching to see how it comes out.

It's not too bad on the surface and would not be a problem if you simply stuck this together. You would end up with exactly what is shown on the box and that is what you paid for. However, it is one of those kits where the pinholes do appear if you do some sanding though. Just as a 'head's up' because I know some folks REALLY hate this. To be fair, not bad so far and this is NOT a complaint, but it is happening. Now, some may not agree with what I'm doing with this, but there are a couple, what I'm gonna call "improvements", whether they are or not in what this is suppose to be. It is, of course, a cartoon version of the Y-Wing from Star Wars with simplified and/or exaggerated features. I'm changing some of these.

So that it can be seen what I'm changing, here are some straight "out of the box" builds that the seller of this kit sent me:

294562592_875948123811329_4416098808518602446_n.jpg
294575193_630438511803367_3948625399125429910_n.jpg
301160279_1989734017878542_8527904149950172874_n.jpg

I want to change some of what you see in those pictures on mine. Those same mentioned pinholes get annoying when you do things like this as I am supposedly "improving" it:

DSCN0578.jpg
DSCN0579.jpg
DSCN0580.jpg
DSCN0581.jpg
DSCN0582.jpg

Now, I'm just a little farther along than what I just posted because I've been fiddlin' with it most of the day. I plan to drill some torpedo tubes under that nose and add a few chips of styrene squares all over the place (from one of the studio scale Y-Wings I just randomly chose from the web because there are no 2 the same).

If I'm improving anything, I'll need some feedback from y'all. To me, I haven't screwed it up yet and it looks better, but let me know what y'all think as I greatly appreciate any and all comments, critique and criticisms. Be blunt. I'd rather change something while I can!

That's really cool and different...!!!...like something out of a cereal box...!! (y):cool:

View attachment 1691454

Kinda does don't it! May be why I like this kinda thing, given my fondness to a good corn flake.

Rob.

Alright, anyone interested in this, here's a little update.

I cleaned up a few things and filled a couple of those pinholes mentioned earlier. To do that, I've been slightly drilling them with the old pin vice and using the support strands from the printed parts that came with this. Some of the parts seen in the "What's in the box" pictures earlier show that there are a few that have been printed and a couple were still attached to the bed supports (or whatever y'all call them?) since they more closely match the consistency of the resin parts the bulk of the ship is made from. Seems to work fairly well and later sands pretty good.

Now, for another point with this model. The resin this is made from is not a normal resin, at least it certainly doesn't seem that way to me. I could be wrong, but this stuff is VERY much like a hard chalk? I'm not sure what it is, but the closest thing I've ever encountered to this was that old GRP the WARP Eagle was made from. The reason I bring this up is that I would assume some would want to know overall impressions of this kit. As I said before, it's not as much a complaint as it is just to let folks know. The point being, when you get close to edges with things like X-Acto's and sanding, you have to be careful that you don't knock a chip out. I hope y'all know what I'm describing because that's about the best I can do.

Having fixed up any exposed pinholes I can see, there was also a fair seam line right down the middle of the parts that needed to be smoothed, the worst of this was on that back half because it runs all through those humps and bumps. It's not super mis-aligned, so just picks, X-Acto's and a tiny scraper took care of it fairly well.

Now, what I did to the decoration. I cut those torpedo tubes I mentioned earlier on the underside of the cockpit. The R2 (R5-R6-R7, whichever one it's suppose to be) was made to just stick to a hump where the R2 hole would be in the Y-Wing.

As seen here:

119122190_3105670006210333_388952483359081392_n.jpg

I didn't like that and since I made a new canopy, he woulda stuck up 4 foot above the Y-Wing PLUS he wasn't even in a proper R2 hole, so I chopped a hole for him in the model. That's about it except I added a few more details all over the place...

For better or worse.

DSCN0587.jpg
DSCN0588.jpg
DSCN0589.jpg
DSCN0590.jpg
DSCN0591.jpg

I don't plan to modify much more before calling this one modified enough. I do plan to add just a little more detail on each engine, but not much.

One things for sure, this model can be finish built in one weekend if you build it straight out of the box.

Rob.

Improvement are looking great

Weird about the resin. Almost sounds like 3D printed resin as that can be brittle and "chalky" especially if over cured with UV light

The nacelles alone look like drop-ships

Drop ship. Good name for it. Just a matter of time.

Improvement are looking great

Weird about the resin. Almost sounds like 3D printed resin as that can be brittle and "chalky" especially if over cured with UV light

I've never had anything that was printed until this, so that is certainly possible, but there wouldn't be a seam line would there? As you can see in the first pictures, some of the parts are purple and were on tiny legs, so I was thinking that was all that was printed...

But I don't know.

Rob.

Rob? Rob who? Rob's not here.

The fella I got this Yolk Wing from has been eyeballin' this thread and he may stick his head in here. At least I asked him to, so we'll see.

I want everyone to remember here that ANYTHING I critique or point out on this model is simply as a builder of this kit and whatever inconsistencies I find as I build it. It was given to me as a gift when I bought the Cylon Raidegg and no matter what I say about it, it is a very cool model, at least for me.

Rob.

Hey y'all,

Little update after all this time, but real life stuff happened and I haven't had much fun time. I was able to do just a little on the old Yolk Wing.

DSCN0598.jpg
DSCN0599.jpg
DSCN0600.jpg
DSCN0601.jpg
DSCN0602.jpg
DSCN0597.jpg
DSCN0594.jpg
DSCN0603.jpg
DSCN0595.jpg
DSCN0593.jpg

Mr. Glancy (JPG Productions, where this came from), said he didn't like what I was doing to this because it was looking too "Star Wars-ey". Well, if he didn't like what I had done before, he oughta HATE all this.

A few chips and such added here and there and I can't think of much more to do to this.

Comments, critique, questions and criticisms are, as usual, very welcome.

Rob.

Ok y'all, I believe this is gettin' real close. I like this thing and I think it's a really cool model. Should look even better with a little paint, but these had bad paintjobs anyhow, so it looks pretty good un-painted!

DSCN0604.jpg

DSCN0605.jpg

DSCN0606.jpg

DSCN0607.jpg

DSCN0608.jpg

DSCN0609.jpg

DSCN0610.jpg

DSCN0611.jpg

I still need to add a few chips on that cockpit section, that I have mentioned several posts now but still ain't done it, and I'll probably add some metal roll bars on the very rear like the studio ones has got, but that'll be about it.

Like here:

roll bars.jpg

Now, an opinion or two here...

I may add that set of guns seen on the roof of the canopy? I was thinking maybe some slightly over sized to make 'em stay cartoony?

guns.jpg

Opinions? I think it would look alright?

Rob.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back