Gluing ABS to other materials

Deimos

There was a thread back in 2006 about gluing ABS, but since I didn't want to get hit with the "necro-posting" stigma I thought I would start this one.
And besides, that thread dealt with gluing an ABS to another ABS part, not to a different material entirely.

So what adhesive do you recommend to glue a (non-moving) ABS part to a (non-moving) part of a different material, such as wood or metal.
Would melting some ABS plastic (like a Lego) with Acetone to make the slurry glue work on the other material? I know it will bond ABS to ABS.

Any help with this from people who have actually been successful in this kind of glue-up would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm using Plastruct Liquid glue (not sure the actual name but its the orange label and says PLASTRUCT) on my Deago Falcon, which is ABS and it welds that stuff together as well as styrene to the ABS.

You're saying the Plastruct will bond ABS to wood and metal?

I'm not surprised that it bonds ABS to styrene, because ABS is basically a styrene product, (and ABS to ABS or ABS "similar" will always bond to itself with the right adhesive)

Sorry, read too quickly. For the abs to metal I would stick (no pun intended) to a "crazy glue". As for ABS to wood, probably a silicon glue. I used silicon to glue my Han in Carbonite pieces to the wood and that has held well and is hanging on a wall for a year and hasn't moved at all.

OK...thanks for the amended answer...what kind of silicon glue did you use? (brand, and also part # if the company has multiple products)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back