Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 4, 2018, 4:18 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #26

OK This "tutorial" is mostly for @halliwax since he's making a bottle too, but if anyone else is ever interested, here's what I came up with.

The finished [p]leather band should be 41mm wide. To make mine look a little nicer, I doubled that and folded it over on itself to give it some extra thickness and so that it's leather on both sides (when looking through the glass to the other side, you see [p]leather on the inside as well instead of the fabric lining). For the width of the bottles I have, I cut the band at 12 1/2 inches by 3 1/4 inches, then ran some glue long the fabric side and folded it over on itself to make a double sided leather band 12 1/2 inches long by 1 5/8 inches (approx 41mm) wide.
    Now, you need to make a triangular point on the left end of the band. To get the correct angle, mark a line 40mm from the end, then come in at angles to the center and cut to form a point.
    Next, curve the band around (you can use the bottle to ensure a tight fit) and overlap the pointed end over the other end, and glue down with super glue. Don't glue the strap to the bottle, you want to be able to remove it so you can adjust, wash, etc. Just glue the strap to itself to form a loop.

For the strap, start with a piece of gray 1" nylon webbing that is 28 inches long.
    Mark a line at 8 inches from the left end, and another line at around 11 3/8 inches from the left end.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5982.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	799992

Run the webbing through the band as shown (note the orientation of the pointed end), and line the end up with the 8 inch mark. Secure with some super glue (you can add a rivet later)

Name:	IMG_5983.JPG 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	799993

Next, fold the right end up and line it up with the 11 3/8 inch mark. Secure with some super glue to hold it tightly in place. You should end up with something like this.

Name:	IMG_5984.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	799994
    Next, crease the double layer of webbing where the strap ends and tie some waxed hemp twine or leather around it with a double knot. Leave a loose end for later.

Name:	IMG_5985.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	799995

Then wrap the twine messily and randomly around the webbing, crisscrossing a bit. I did about 15 wraps. You want to end up with a wrapping that is approximately 21 mm wide.

Name:	IMG_5986.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	799996

On the last wrap, I threaded the end of the twine back through the crease (under the wrapping) and back over to duplicate the visual dictionary image. Then I tied that loose end to the original loose end from my first double knot.

Name:	IMG_5987.JPG 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	799997

Name:	IMG_5988.JPG 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	799998

Name:	IMG_5989.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	799999

And there you go! all finished. Add a rivet (I think it's a rivet) or other fastener to the first loop if you want to be super accurate.

Name:	IMG_5990.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	800000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5981.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	799991  
    Last edited by Trooper_trent; Mar 4, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 4, 2018, 4:23 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #27

Wicked!!! Nice idea with double siding the pleather! I would have never thought of that! Nice little trick!

I seriously believe you nailed this! With what? Only 3 screen shots?! Out standing job buddy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 4, 2018, 4:26 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #28

double post
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 5, 2018, 10:50 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #29

Itís amazing what a difference it looks like with 8mm off

5. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 5, 2018, 12:01 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #30

Did your cap come gray like that? or did you paint it?
    or is that the white cap and it just looks gray to me?
  6. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 5, 2018, 12:04 PM - Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #31

And FINISHED!
    Frosted the glass, added a rivet to the strap and weathered the webbing a bit.

From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 5, 2018, 2:04 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #32

Sheís white, funny thing is I ordered the back cap but was delivered white

8. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 5, 2018, 6:13 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #33

halliwax said: View Post
    She’s white, funny thing is I ordered the back cap but was delivered white
    I'm just still so surprised at how your bottle's neck is so vertical. Both of mine have a huge flare on them. and then to hear how differently sized they are, there's a LOT of variation with this particular bottle.
    From
    York
    Mar 6, 2018, 4:04 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #34

Love what you guys have done with this. When I've got a bit more time I'm going to make mine much more like yours, Trent - but I'm going to be a cheapskate and wrap gaffer tape around the bottom!

Perhaps the original prop got smashed on Skellig - hence the crappy version in the V.D.?
    Last edited by sw63; Mar 6, 2018 at 4:17 PM.
  10. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 6, 2018, 9:41 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #35

I can send you a 3d print if you want.
  11. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 6, 2018, 10:17 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #36

sw63 said: View Post
    Love what you guys have done with this. When I've got a bit more time I'm going to make mine much more like yours, Trent - but I'm going to be a cheapskate and wrap gaffer tape around the bottom!

Perhaps the original prop got smashed on Skellig - hence the crappy version in the V.D.?
    this is 100% all trent, im just a copy cat
  12. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 7, 2018, 9:37 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #37

I think even in the movie, after the completely unnecessary and quite disturbing milk scene, when Luke throws his pack down on the ground, it's the V.D. version of the bottle.
    From
    York
    Mar 8, 2018, 3:18 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #38

Trooper_trent said: View Post
    I can send you a 3d print if you want.
    That's a really kind offer Trent and I thank you for it, but postage costs to the UK are ridiculously high. I'll just "stick" to the gaffer tape for now!
  14. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 12, 2018, 11:51 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #39

OK so now that the movie is out, there's definitely a little more to the strap than I previously thought.
    It looks like there's snaps on it and maybe some kind of square buckle.
    What do you think?

Name:	Screen Shot 03-12-18 at 11.41 PM.PNG 
Views:	36 
Size:	384.9 KB 
ID:	802136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 03-12-18 at 11.42 PM.PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	379.9 KB 
ID:	802137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 03-12-18 at 11.50 PM 001.PNG 
Views:	45 
Size:	911.1 KB 
ID:	802138Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 03-12-18 at 11.50 PM.PNG 
Views:	43 
Size:	907.6 KB 
ID:	802139
  15. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 13, 2018, 9:21 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #40

I get what your saying, is it a square looking snap? That last picture makes it look like it has sharp edges, and not round

Second picture almost looks like a key chain ring or something

16. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 13, 2018, 11:15 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #41

I get what your saying, is it a square looking snap? That last picture makes it look like it has sharp edges, and not round

Second picture almost looks like a key chain ring or something
    OK so I've stared at this thing WAY longer than anyone ever should have LOL but I think I have it nailed down.
    It's just normal snaps, but they're attached in a way that causes the strap to twist a very specific way.
    It might be hard to explain but if you picture making a loop and snapping the ends together and then rotating the two halves of the snap against each other a half turn while they're still attached, I'm about 95% sure this is what's going on here. It's the ONLY way the snaps can attach in a way that causes that twist. Then there's even a THIRD snap on the long tail end.
    I'm assuming this was meant to be some last minute adjustable strap to attach the bottle to his pack.
    I'm making up a revised tutorial now.
    I cut a new strap this morning and took measurements lining it up with each frame of the movie to make sure everything folds and lays the right way to ensure I get the right position and orientation. I don't have snaps at the moment so I'll have to go get some tomorrow.

Like I said....WAY too much time staring at this thing. I'm going to have bad dreams about Sea Cow nipples for months to come I'm sure.
    Last edited by Trooper_trent; Mar 13, 2018 at 11:20 AM.
  17. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 13, 2018, 11:18 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #42

why is it that we get attached to props that aren't always black and white. then again where would the fun be in trying to figure it all out and come up with a solution. i think trying to find the parts, and trouble shooting is the best part of prop building

you sir have put some serious time into this bottle decoding, my hat is off to you!

From
    Nashville
    Mar 13, 2018, 12:04 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #43

I will be making one of these as well...once I get my 3D printer! Thanks for all the hard work to make this look so great!!
  19. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:51 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #44

why is it that we get attached to props that aren't always black and white. then again where would the fun be in trying to figure it all out and come up with a solution. i think trying to find the parts, and trouble shooting is the best part of prop building

you sir have put some serious time into this bottle decoding, my hat is off to you!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...tgbiTyjlLxyAZw
    definitely. Things like this are usually looked at on different levels from the dismissive to the outright obsessive.

Level 1. It's a bottle. Lame...

Level 2. It's a custom bottle with a strap. cool bottle, stupid scene.

Level 3. It's a custom bottle with a strap that's made out of a different material than the band. It would be funny to have one of those but nobody would know what it was

Level 4. It's a custom bottle with a strap that's made out of a different material than the band and it's constructed of a loop attached by a rivet on one end, and what looks like another look tied by twine. Hmm I think I'll make one!

Level 5. It's a custom bottle with a strap that's made out of a different material than the band and it's constructed of a loop attached by a rivet on one end, and what looks like another look tied by twine but now that the movie is out, I'm not so sure it's another loop. hmmm. OMG there's snaps on it! WTF? Ok so if these are generic snaps, then this is the cap of the female end and that looks like the prong of the male end, but in this other shot it looks like they're snapped together. But if they're snapped together then why is the strap twisted? If it's twisted and you undid the snap, then it wouldn't look like in the other shot. so is that the BACK of the male end? did they have TWO bottles? why is it snapped and twisted? is it because it was a loop but it turned out while being handled? and if so, why is there a third snap on the bottom? Is that the top layer twisted or the bottom layer turned over on top of it? I wish I could see that 2 inch space behind the bottle because this doesn't make ANY F*****G SENSE! Ok Start over. Freeze this frame, hold your replica bottle up to it and follow the strap. yeah ok it angles and then turns and then yeah ok there's the snap from the other shot about 6 inches down. I've made 3 of them and reprinted the parts 5 times because I keep finding things wrong with it. I went to another town specifically to find gray leather. I MUST HAVE THE MOST ACCURATE GREEN SEA COW MILK BOTTLE ON THE PLANET!!!!

Edit: And now that I go back and look at the Visual Dictionary version. WTF!? is that a snap? and it has the same twist in the strap!. ughh....

Name:	Screen Shot 03-13-18 at 04.02 PM.PNG 
Views:	37 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	802292
    Last edited by Trooper_trent; Mar 13, 2018 at 4:06 PM.
  20. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 14, 2018, 4:52 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #45

Sneaky sneaky.... sure does look like something is there!! I think your right trent, I bet the strap is the same damn strap on screen!

Wonder what the heck happened to the original bottle on screen?!

If the strap is exactly the same, it makes me wonder if the bottle was damaged while filming. Havenít seen the film yet on Blu-ray but I remember in the theater he drops it a few times...

I could easily be over thinking and multiple bottles were made at the same time

Mar 14, 2018, 6:46 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #46

A VFX artist has said the bottle used in closeups was CGI. That would explain inconsistencies.
  22. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 14, 2018, 8:38 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #47

Xxblackbird said: View Post
    A VFX artist has said the bottle used in closeups was CGI. That would explain inconsistencies.
    Hmmm.... I honestly would never even have considered that, as much as I've stared at it. But now that you mention it, when I watch it at full speed, there might be a slight twitch here and there that could possibly be key framing issues indicating it's CGI, but if it is it's DAMN GOOD.

Another bit of evidence for that is the behind the scenes documentary. When it shows them filming that scene, the close up is of the Visual Dictionary Bottle (go figure) and only shows the top of it, but you can tell it's an earlier take. The milk is white.
    But there's a camera angle from further away that shows him holding the bottle and to me it looks like the one seen on screen. I seriously doubt they would have replaced it with a CGI bottle for a far away shot of him in the 'making of' documentary, but it's far away so I could be wrong.

Interesting.

Danny, I bet you're right. They talk about filming that scene in both a studio and on location on the rocks. It shows them flying the seacow puppet in and out by helicopter.
    I bet it's the on-set shot that has a different bottle. I watched for it to turn up again in the background when they were showing all the props but I didn't ever see it.

Edit: WOW @Xxblackbird I think you're right! it's a CG bottle! when he takes a drink, it jumps a bit in his hand from frame to frame, and there's an inner wall of the glass that's visible and then fades away, like they blended that bottle over the actual one. It was probably a decision to make it more visible for the milk to be seen. That's CRAZY! I can't believe I didn't see that before! I guess staring at individual frames makes it harder to spot differences and unrealistic movements. Still that is some really good CG work! That is a huge help! do you remember where you read / saw that? I'm curious to see if there's additional video floating around somewhere.
    Last edited by Trooper_trent; Mar 14, 2018 at 9:09 AM.
  23. RPF Premium Member halliwax's Avatar
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 14, 2018, 9:49 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #48

Holy crap there is a lot of CG coverup through out this whole film... kinda disappointed the bottle wasnít real... Iíll report back to read this again, my mind isnít right from being up more then 24 hours removing this damn snow..

From
    York
    Mar 14, 2018, 11:19 AM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #49

Well, CG on no - I much prefer the shape seen in the film so, IMHO, your screen-accurate projects Trent & Halliwax (and mine to a lesser extent!) look ten times better than the VD one!
    I raise a bottle of green milk to you both!
    Last edited by sw63; Mar 14, 2018 at 11:25 AM.
  25. RPF Premium Member Trooper_trent's Avatar
    From
    Fort Worth TX
    Mar 14, 2018, 1:50 PM - Re: Looking for Luke's Green Milk Bottle from Ahch-To. Any ideas? #50

Well, CG on no - I much prefer the shape seen in the film so, IMHO, your screen-accurate projects Trent & Halliwax (and mine to a lesser extent!) look ten times better than the VD one!
    I raise a bottle of green milk to you both!
    Wait til I post pics of my TLJ watching party tomorrow LOL.

Holy crap there is a lot of CG coverup through out this whole film... kinda disappointed the bottle wasn’t real... I’ll report back to read this again, my mind isn’t right from being up more then 24 hours removing this damn snow..
    I'm in shorts and am about to go fly my paramotor this afternoon. Just thought I'd rub it in.