Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
They could just make "I dunno, I'm making this up as I go." their official motto, as they now own Indy.

There's some truth in that. I posted earlier what I think is their strategy regarding hiring talent to make these films. If LucasFilm Story Group has a rigid story arc in place a lot of very talented directors would take a pass on Star Wars. To attract innovative new talent you need to provide creative flexibility. So not being dogmatic to a fixed story makes sense if you want variety of directors. The only film previous to the ST directed independently was ESB. Every other OT and PT film was effectively the vision of one man.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly what I aimed at in a previous post.

The storytelling may work in an episode of a series with a huge story arc. But it IMO does NOT work for a movie that IMO NEEDS to stand on its own feet, should be watchable on its own. Granted, except for ANH no SW-movie should be watched out of context. But if you choose to, you CAN do that and they work as movies in their own narratives (AOTC is not that good, though, it IMO suffers from the Detective story vs. the rest).
The subplots that IMO feel hornshoed into the main plot are the best examples.

I do not think that it was GoT, but a lot of other series and movies with an episodic narrative style.
Still, IMO that does NOT work for a SW movie.

If you want to tell stories that way, then DO NOT degrade a main SW episode to an episode in a MINI-Series, but just go straight to TV and create a series!

I dont think any SW film other than ANH has any hope of standing on it's own.

But wasn't the entire series originally conceived as a throwback to serialised 'episodic' films from Lucas' youth, much like the Indy films?

Hence the need for the opening crawl to let you know you're coming in in the middle of the story, & here's how we got here.

As I've posted before, I think the Finn portions of the film have a future payoff, in addition to growing, in a small way, his character. It'll play into Rey's story later on, by possibly giving her force wielders that could need her help. Much like how Han & Leia's journey in ESB only played into Luke's story by giving him a task that he failed, & the Endor mission didn't at all. If Luke felt the need to face Vader, he could've done exactly what Rey did. Turn himself over anywhere. Both being on Endor just made it convenient.

. If LucasFilm Story Group has a rigid story arc in place a lot of very talented directors would take a pass on Star Wars. To attract innovative new talent you need to provide creative flexibility. So not being dogmatic to a fixed story makes sense if you want variety of directors. The only film previous to the ST directed independently was ESB. Every other OT and PT film was effectively the vision of one man.

First.. I would not accept this as "LucasFilm Story Group"... sorry.. it has changed too much...not for bad or worse...just changed

Second.. Its Star Wars...not some obscure movie about special powers... and super space flying women, and bad jokes..and a rolling ball with a name.

Third... the vision has ALWAYS been of one man.. Kershner put his flavor on the one mans story... which came out great

I dont think any SW film other than ANH has any hope of standing on it's own.

I can watch any of the OT episodes and catch on..

When I met my wife, all those years ago, all she had watched was ROTJ, and she knew who Luke was.. the Emperor was and who Vadar was... along with Han...Akbar..Lando..and both 3PO and R2D2...

So that proved to me.. that someone who was only introduced to one SW movie can be aware.

I showed her ANH and ESP.. and she loved ROTJ even more (still confused on that one, but I'll accept it)

The PT was just more added fun...nothing like the OT...but added sub-clauses to a great story

First.. I would not accept this as "LucasFilm Story Group"... sorry.. it has changed too much...not for bad or worse...just changed

Second.. Its Star Wars...not some obscure movie about special powers... and super space flying women, and bad jokes..and a rolling ball with a name.

Third... the vision has ALWAYS been of one man.. Kershner put his flavor on the one mans story... which came out great

But you are not going to attract new directors for a story with no creative freedom. If these films are going to be made in perpetuity you will need a lot of creative flexibility.

But you are not going to attract new directors for a story with no creative freedom. If these films are going to be made in perpetuity you will need a lot of creative flexibility.

But how much flexibility is allowed, until it just doesnt fit with SW 1-6?

There has to be point where someone has to say..."hey hold on, now we are getting too far away"

Thats what scares me about Ep IX, in TFA we pushed away.. in TLJ we pushed even farther..

There will be a point where there is no coherence between the OT... the PT and now the ST

Superman never wore a green suit..to dress him up in that.... and take away his strength... and still call him Superman, would go too far

But how much flexibility is allowed, until it just doesnt fit with SW 1-6?

There has to be point where someone has to say..."hey hold on, now we are getting too far away"

Thats what scares me about Ep IX, in TFA we pushed away.. in TLJ we pushed even farther..

There will be a point where there is no coherence between the OT... the PT and now the ST

Superman never wore a green suit..to dress him up in that.... and take away his strength... and still call him Superman, would go too far

Again there is some truth to that. In a not too distant future the OT will be a small fraction of what makes up the SW film catalogue. To future generations adherence to those fi.ms will be far less germane.

Time will tell if these movies will be made in perpetuity, if Solo fails it could turn into an every man/woman for themselves situation very quickly, very quickly.

From what I`ve seen from Johnson, they are taking a tremendous risk in basing an entirely new trilogy resting on his ability, being pulled off correctly.

Disney must surely be stretching themselves financially in terms of all the acquisitions they are currently undertaking and if one domino falls in that scenario the whole thing could turn into a house of cards. They will react.

GL might be playing the long game here. It reminds me of the case here in Australia when the countries richest man sold his TV network for a vastly over-inflated amount to a man with grand ideas. Two years later that man went broke and the richest man bought his network back for a pittance. His famous quote after that was " You only get one Alan Bond in your life"

Last edited:
Time will tell if these movies will be made in perpetuity, if Solo fails it could turn into an every man/woman for themselves situation very quickly, very quickly.

From what I`ve seen from Johnson, they are taking a tremendous risk in basing an entirely new trilogy resting on his ability, being pulled off correctly.

Disney must surely be stretching themselves financially in terms of all the acquisitions they are currently undertaking and if one domino falls in that scenario the whole thing could turn into a house of cards. They will react.

GL might be playing the long game here. It reminds me of the case here in Australia when the countries richest man sold his TV network for a vastly over-inflated amount to a man with grand ideas. Two years later that man went broke and the richest man bought his network back for a pittance. His famous quote after that was " You only get one Alan Bond in your life"

No this isn't a huge financial burden for Disney. It's already hugely profitable and again, the films are massive successes, not failures by any metric Disney is concerned with. The company makes $45B per year with $10B in profit. Again, they haven't had a financial failure. Solo will probably be just fine as well. GL was and is done with SW, he couldn't afford to buy it back.

Again there is some truth to that. In a not too distant future the OT will be a small fraction of what makes up the SW film catalogue. To future generations adherence to those fi.ms will be far less germane.

Your right, and its very sad. I have 2........ 17 and 22...... both prefer the... "in your face" "give me visuals" "I just want to see cool s#!t", just like their games and phones..not much depth, but alot of cool stuff to look at... "I want a skin for my character..not to make it better, but to make it look cooler"..

Its funny, a very personal experience.... but... I built my own PC.... and I built my oldest son a PC... he knows alot about PC's...he chose the parts with the flashing lights...

I tried to teach him that the parts with the flashing lights (even though LED) add voltage draw, to your power supply, and even your PS with LED lights, draws the small voltage...he didnt care...he just wanted the lights,,,

Your right, and its very sad. I have 2........ 17 and 22...... both prefer the... "in your face" "give me visuals" "I just want to see cool s#!t", just like their games and phones..not much depth, but alot of cool stuff to look at... "I want a skin for my character..not to make it better, but to make it look cooler"..

Its funny, a very personal experience.... but... I built my own PC.... and I built my oldest son a PC... he knows alot about PC's...he chose the parts with the flashing lights...

I tried to teach him that the parts with the flashing lights (even though LED) add voltage draw, to your power supply, and even your PS with LED lights, draws the small voltage...he didnt care...he just wanted the lights,,,

I'm literally sitting here with my 4 year old watching TFA and he's quoting dialogue. Kids are the future. :) I hear what you are saying about modern sensibilities but I think these new films have a lot of heart.

I'm literally sitting here with my 4 year old watching TFA and he's quoting dialogue. Kids are the future. :) I hear what you are saying about modern sensibilities but I think these new films have a lot of heart.

Mine did the same with TPM....how successful was that?

Or I'll add, how liked is it now?

I dont think its heart... I think its gonads.. taking an awful risk here

No this isn't a huge financial burden for Disney. It's already hugely profitable and again, the films are massive successes, not failures by any metric Disney is concerned with. The company makes $45B per year with $10B in profit. Again, they haven't had a financial failure. Solo will probably be just fine as well. GL was and is done with SW, he couldn't afford to buy it back.

Couldnt afford to buy it back now...I was talking about future scenarios only. That was made very clear in the post.

Krispy Kreme didnt own 80% of ESPN... Damn Disney, I watch alot of ESPN

ESPN, ABC, now Fox media assets including 3/4 of Hulu, Starz, their film catalogue. Launching their own over the top service, yeah what a loser company like KK or Blockbuster! You guys kill me sometimes.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back