I need help making a mold of a tricky part.

FlyingMexiTacos

First post so I'm not sure if it is in the correct board.
I'm wanting to make a mold of this part so I can cast lots of parts to sell. However I'm not sure how to do that due to the geometry of the shape. I considered doing it down the axis of symmetry and gluing two bits together however it will be under mechanical stress and I would rather it be one piece.

Any advice would be appreciated.
4533e12259c3dc3f03e7c2aa6292e29b.jpg
33c4c3c0668f1631c21190760ff341f2.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Depending on the size, it might be loads easier to get a 3d printer and make the thing. I know that is outside of the box you are thinking, but a pipe goes through it, it is larger past the pipe opening on the inside...lotsa things to consider.

$200 and you will be on your way printing, vs how much time and money trying to cast it?

Yikes!!!

Too severe an undercut,..but, it can be done using a hallow "plug mold", it would be a three part mold. In other words...the center plug has to be made hallow, and then I would back fill it with a second silicone plug that was also removable.

Good luck.

That part would be nearly impossible to make a casting of in its present state. Can it be redesigned to split it down the centre and the two halves moulded separately? The castings could be glued together afterwards, or perhaps modified to take screws.

TazMan2000

I see a few people have already given you some good ideas but for me "to sell" says 3D printer. Casting material and resins are not cheap and there is a HUGE learning curve vs. figuring out new software being a much more forgiving environment. Personally producing parts like these are why I bought my printer.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back