Why isn't there a Rock award show?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was watching football (supposedly it was Ohio State, not sure if it was the real team or not... :cry) and they had a commercial for the CMA's. So we have CMAs and I think there's a Rap award show, but no Rock show. Sure the Grammy's say they have rock bands, which are usually Coldplay and Maroon 5, which technically are, but c'mon. So why isn't there a dedicated Rock awards show?

Maroon 5? A rock band?? I've tuned out, but didn't Adam Levine turn that group into a bubblegum pop band for tweener girls years ago?

...because the real good stuff can compete with the big boys and doesn't need it's own "little pond"
Nothing could be further from the truth. All of those "mainstream music" award shows do not reward quality of music, but commercial success.

Commercial success is directly linked to radio-airplay, which is directly linked to how much the record company "pushes" a given artist or song to the stations.
Mainstream music of today lacks something real Rock/Metal bands still have loads of: integrity.

Most Rock/Metal bands hardly produce singles. They produce an album, release it, go on tour, and let record sales speak for themselves.
Mainstream artists release single after single and when an album comes out it's just a compilation of the most recent singles with the addition of a few unreleased duds, usually passed off as "exclusive bonus songs".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Most Rock/Metal bands hardly produce singles. They produce an album, release it, go on tour, and let record sales speak for themselves.
like i said. they don't need a "little pond" to be the big fish
anyhow, so called "rock" is in a stagnant downslump nowadays it would seem.
i can't stand sitting through any of them music awards shows let alone a modern crap rock one lol
i'd bet for a lot of people that get older, their tolerance for being screamed at by the singer gets a little taxed. specially when they reach the age of about half a century or so....

Last edited:
The rock hall of fame show exists, but I don’t know who broadcasts it now days. The state rock is in, a hall of fame show looking at the past is about as contemporary as it could get.

Rock as in Rock'N Roll. some have a very narrow definition of Rock. some definitions are very broad. Some would say Stevie Wonder was not Rock.
the Rolling Stones would beg to differ as they used to have him open for them back in the day.
some say Ray Charles was not Rock. many oldschool rockers say Ray Charles was Rock n Roll before there ever was such a thing.
funny it's the Rockers who seem to be inclusive....

Last edited:
I was watching football (supposedly it was Ohio State, not sure if it was the real team or not... :cry) and they had a commercial for the CMA's. So we have CMAs and I think there's a Rap award show, but no Rock show. Sure the Grammy's say they have rock bands, which are usually Coldplay and Maroon 5, which technically are, but c'mon. So why isn't there a dedicated Rock awards show?

More to the point, country music seems to have a massive inferiority complex.

If you watch throughout the year, there are literally like 4-5 'country music awards' shows. It might actually be more. I miss the old days when the grammies where the only music award show and it contained real music. Anything using Autotune should automatically be banned from being awarded.

Autotune as well as songs where the writer(s) and the performers aren't one and the same.

Agreed about the auto tune but there's a lot of good music written by others, for example Jimmy Webb wrote Witchita Line Man sung by Glen Campbell possibly the best song ever made!

Agreed about the auto tune but there's a lot of good music written by others, for example Jimmy Webb wrote Witchita Line Man sung by Glen Campbell possibly the best song ever made!
Yeah, that might be but it's just that I have an aversion to "performers" as opposed to well-rounded musicians. I mean, look at bands like Queen, GnR, Metallica, Deep Purple, Led Zep... They wrote their own songs and played them live on stage.
And then you have people like those "stars" that get airplay nowadays: they have other people write them songs, they have studio-musicians play them on the record, they sing the songs once (with autotune no less) and then on stage it's all just playback and lipsync. As a musician, that makes me furious.

like i said. they don't need a "little pond" to be the big fish
anyhow, so called "rock" is in a stagnant downslump nowadays it would seem.
i can't stand sitting through any of them music awards shows let alone a modern crap rock one lol
i'd bet for a lot of people that get older, their tolerance for being screamed at by the singer gets a little taxed. specially when they reach the age of about half a century or so....

I don't think there's a down slump. There's a lot of newer (say 10 year or younger) groups that are pretty good IMO. Halestorm, Dorothy, Five Finger Death Punch (the less screamy songs), Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, etc. You never see any of them at the Grammy's, though I think Halestorm did get a Grammy. They put faux rock groups like Maroon 5 or Coldplay on there, or in some cases cast someone as a Rock (Elle King - Xs and Os...). Yeah they had Metallica, but that might have been because of Lady Gaga.

My 14yo nephew who now likes Death Metal called me a poser because I'm a Metallica fan. :lol I said at least Hetfield can sing and not just growl into the mic.

the sad thing is if your not one of the 10 bands in your genre "IHeartRadio" has decided/paid to promote, 99% of the country will not know your music, and you go no where in the publicized part of the industry

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back