Black Series Darth Vader reveal helmet coming...? Hasbrocon

For $100, it looks better than I expected.

Even the efx PCR has some modifications to allow it to be made with injection molding. Making a very accurately sized and shaped Vader with electronics for $100 MSRP doesn't seem likely. Size of the box does matter at this price. If it's too big, they can't get enough in the shipping containers and on store shelves to make a profit.

The previous BS helmets were easier to make closer to the real props within the price range because of the simpler design of the helmets.

In this case I seriously doubt they scanned any vintage Lucasfilm helmets. There may have not been much benefit in doing so considering the electronics, reveal features, and price/size limitations.

If you want a more accurate Vader, there are quite a few options in different price ranges, but not below several hundred dollars.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Pretty cool helmet for what you get at the expected price. Like you guys mentioned above it is a high-end toy, and good times for new collectors or kids. Although I don't find the helmet that accurate. The BS helmet line for new collectors is like a gateway drug to this addictive hobby so many of us have. My first helmet was a supreme Vader helmet by Rubies :eek

Fact is that the sculpt is shi**.From the shape AND the size if you want a near accurate Vaderdesign.
I don´t wanna start from the revealparts-side because the videoquality is too bad..but I bet most of them are not accurate also.
But you can see it from another side...for 100$ you have a not 100% lifesize version from the Ridell Minihelmet.
That was my dream as I started this hobby over 14 years ago...so I can understand some guys with not so high standards in "Vaderthings"that they really love this new hasbromask.So all good.;)

I want to get this to display with out the dome, in a reveal style. Maybe even make a stand that has the faceplate float about the neck piece. Maybe do a two tone paint job or just leave it as is like a ROTS version.

Am I the only one that's GLAD the helmet is not 100% accurate to a screen used one? The saturation of high quality propl-like toys into the retail market really does something to prop collectors. Where as I used to get people that would say "wow, that's just like the real one from the movie!" "now they're like "is that the one from Target?"

Well... looks like there’s a little ep8 spoiler in that video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one that's GLAD the helmet is not 100% accurate to a screen used one? The saturation of high quality propl-like toys into the retail market really does something to prop collectors. Where as I used to get people that would say "wow, that's just like the real one from the movie!" "now they're like "is that the one from Target?"

Yeah, I'll have friends get a cheap version of something that I spent a lot more money on for a more accurate version and they can't tell the difference. It's kind of a bummer sometimes.

For instance: my real Graflex that looks just like the one in ANH...but doesn't have lights or sounds...is not as cool to them as my old old MR Force FX one.

Certainly not screen accurate, but for $100 I don't think they could really do any better. They for sure could have done worse. Any more and then you're getting into the tier where you'd expect a PCR to be. This is not that and nor is it intended to be.

Hasbro_BSVader_Reveal.jpg

Hasbro_BSVader_Reveal2.jpg

I'm no expert on Vader but it looks pretty awesome to me. I've always wanted a reveal helmet for display or to go grocery shopping in.
Funny how spoiled people are today; if this helmet came out 10 yrs ago everyone would have lost there mind over it. Today everything is nick picked to death until the helmet or prop in question, somehow resembles the apocalypse.

One of my long-term, work-on-it-here-and-there-when-it-feels-right projects is an idealized reveal ANH Vader. The subsequent helmets always looked wrong to me. The ANH was the first one I saw and it stuck. I like the redder lenses, the shape of that dome, the widow's peak, the tusks, the chin triangle... I've gradually accumulated accurizing pieces from Shapeways (not so anal as to feel like I have to source the original plant-ons). I started, for the base, with the previous Hasbro DV helmet from some years back. The done and chest box went away immediately. The neck was a lost cause. Since I was doing a reveal, cutting it off solved that problem. The mask part was, detail problems aside, a wonderful fit, size-wise, for the original ANH mask.

So, all things considered, I'm gonna get one of these to, if nothing else, cannibalize the sound and some of the reveal details and dome attach mount. Might mix-and-match some of the other stuff. I'll have to have them both right in my hands to compare everything and see. I already figured I was going to be building a new neck from scratch out of pepakura, so I'm not fussed about that. The main thing I'll want people to evaluate is how the back collar matches up with an accurate reveal helmet.

--Jonah

I still feel they could have done better with the sculpt......
Possibly. But has anyone else produced a better Vader in the $100 range? If not there must be a reason. It could be too expensive to produce for that price range or Lucasfilm may actually not allow one in that price range to look too good. That could be too close to the higher priced replicas. I imagine Hasbro just has a toy license so it may need to be noticably more toy like than a replica.

Possibly. But has anyone else produced a better Vader in the $100 range? If not there must be a reason. It could be too expensive to produce for that price range or Lucasfilm may actually not allow one in that price range to look too good. That could be too close to the higher priced replicas. I imagine Hasbro just has a toy license so it may need to be noticably more toy like than a replica.

It's funny I think that is most likely the case :). It's weird how close it looks to that old licensed Altmann's Vader though!

It's a heck of a lot better than an ROTS era Vader voice changer helmet, so I'm in. I wanted to display what I have, but next to the BS stormtrooper and clone trooper buckets, It just looked tiny. For $100 to boot? I'll take it.

I have to wonder though, about everyone picking this (toy) apart. Is it that it's that bad, or that it's that good at a third of the price of the next best thing? If a was a casual collector (oh, wait, I am) and saw this after dropping three times as much on a PCR helmet, I might be a little irritated. Luckily, I didn't get that, but I will get this. If you object that strongly to this toy, then clearly this isn't the helmet you're looking for. Move along.

By the way, when does it hit the shelves?

It's a heck of a lot better than an ROTS era Vader voice changer helmet, so I'm in. I wanted to display what I have, but next to the BS stormtrooper and clone trooper buckets, It just looked tiny. For $100 to boot? I'll take it.

I have to wonder though, about everyone picking this (toy) apart. Is it that it's that bad, or that it's that good at a third of the price of the next best thing? If a was a casual collector (oh, wait, I am) and saw this after dropping three times as much on a PCR helmet, I might be a little irritated. Luckily, I didn't get that, but I will get this. If you object that strongly to this toy, then clearly this isn't the helmet you're looking for. Move along.

By the way, when does it hit the shelves?
I don't quite understand your comparisson to EFX here. You can't really compare the two: the efx pcr is made to be a very true representative of the original. This is not, it's meant to be a recognizable representative of the reveal helmet. Though a very free rendition of it, not meant to be very accurate. Compared to the black series Storm Trooper and the Kylo Ren helmet I think this is somewhat disappointing...

But then again I haven't spent nearly as much time looking/ comparing those two helmets to the higher end replica props.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back