Civil War Superman

EmperorSuperman

Hello, 1st time post. This site seems more prop/ replica than cosplay. Hope I'm in the right spot, I'll try to keep it short and have a direct question or two. Basically what I'm doing is a US civil war superman for NYCC not one of these superhero civil wars. It's a union soldier inspired theme verging on steampunk. Here are some ref photos.

Publication1.jpg

I smooshed them onto 1 page. Will see how it displays. I'll be using dark blue shirt and pants I have. The shirt will be modified with a front covering to look like an old time officer with what I'm calling double breasted meaning with the two rows of buttons on the sides. You can see in the pictures. I'll probably do dark red buttons just for show and then a red stripe down the side of the pants. It is called the blood stripe on Marine uniforms. I learned more than i needed about capes as well.

I was thinking of using a fusible iron on glue I heard mentioned somewhere rather than sewing. Not sure how sturdy it is or washable, how or what exactly it is but I guess I'll have to read the packaging.

I'm also torn on the chest symbol. There's a pack patch 8x10in which is likely large, many are 2.5x3.5in or so which may or may not be too small and there is a medium size meant for the chest maybe 6x8. I still feel like the medium might be to big and the smalls come in a variety of colors. My other option is to use computer iron on paper you can print on which will allow me to design and get just the right colors I want but will be flatter.

I also plan to add a red waist sash no sure exactly what or how other than it will be wrapped and tied in a knot. And a voltron extendable sword. I do like the captain america spiderman look with a power rangers sword. there's also a Zelda foam sword for a touch over $20.

Now my next biggest question is capes. I finally found what i was looking for in marching band uniforms. I thought roman emperor or royalty for a half cape over 1 shoulder then I found the band stuff. they actually have the style shirt/ jacket i want too but have to order 30 at a time custom made and even if you can find 1 I can attach a bib to a regular shirt for the effect i want for much cheaper. Here are the capes.

Publication2.pub.jpg
Now that i see them i guess i can attach or sew it to the shirt anyway I like. I want a lion brooch near the front of the cape. Most broochs I've seen are 1 to 2 inchs. They have drawer handles about the same size or door knockers which cost more than I'd like for an accessory and i expect would be heavy. I'd found some belt buckles which would work but the backing wouldn't loop my cloth like I want (it's verticle not horiz)although you all seem to fabricate and with a clearer idea of the cape it may not need to actually attach much to the buckle.

Thats about it. Sorry if rambling, I'm so excited about it. let me know if you have any thoughts that would help. About fusible vs sewing, patches, capes, swords or brooches. I'll get to work this weekend and hope to be back with something to show. I also want to do a foam armored spiderman but am getting less excited about foam the more i learn. I don't have the patience for sanding, don't want to buy a dremel, then sealer, paint etc it adds up.

Oh and what type of material for the cape and shape of cloth. I see on these it is folded and sewn in at the top making like loops or waves. I can also get a red shemagh which I thought of using with the medieval spiderman to hide the face as I'm not sure about putting a mask over glasses. I could use the shemagh as a half shoulder cape as well. It's a 3.5 ft square like a large bandana. Cape may be more of a triangle/ diamond though. I like the red white and black one for the back but in red of course.

Last edited:
This looks like a fun concept man! And welcome to The RPF! There are makers of all types here. I'd say the biggest thing is to emphasize your process, and give details. It's the best way to help others out (either by seeing your example or learning from your mistakes), and better to get feedback. And you certainly gave us plenty of detail.

I can't help you much with the cape except to tell you that the lighter the fabric, the better. The trick is to get a light-weight fabric that just looks heavy/thick.

Fusable vs. sewing: 99% of the time, sewing is more reliable for a longer lasting and stronger bond, especially if the decal is going anywhere where the fabric will be twisting and moving quite a bit, and/or rubbing against anything else. However, if washing is your only concern, there's a trick that is popular in professional theater/opera houses: a mixture vodka and water (equal parts of each) in a spray bottle when sprayed on most cloth garments will kill bacteria and eliminate most odors. If you are underage, just have your parents mix it for you.

If you plan on going to conventions with the costume, definitely go with a foam sword. Weapon security gets tighter every year, so the less dangerous/heavy the material you can use, the better.

Good luck with the build, man!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back