DX-34 Heavy Disintegrator Pistol: Boba Debt custom DL-44 contest entry

Durrett

This blaster is kind of a weird mash-up of a DL-44 and Buck Roger's XZ-38 Disintegrator. When I was designing the Sci-fi gallery at MoPop (EMP) a couple years ago we had the two side by side in the weapons case. The DL-44 totally looked like the spiritual successor to the ray gun, so I tried to design a model that came in between I guess. I loved the sci-fi details of the XZ-38, but wanted to make something a little more functional looking. Check out the contest entries, there are some cool guns. You can vote on them here:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=279517

Infinite_Worlds_Gallery-4935.jpg

The "Gun Pods" we made for the sci-fi gallery. Tons of cool stuff. We ended up not being able to use the DL-44.

dc392e776d926b8d6066c909218193cf.jpg
Buck Roger's XZ-38. I love the look of this ray-gun.

IMG_3789.JPG

Since I didn't have time to build a scope from scratch, I used a messed up resin cast of a tank scope and added details. I thought I had more pictures of the flash hider build, but I must have deleted them from my phone. I used one of Boba Debts delrin ROTJ hiders and sliced up the cone, interspersing it with large fender washers. This was my first experience with Rub 'n Buff, and getting it to stick to delrin was a real challenge. I ended up sanding it and fogging it with superglue to create a surface that it would stay put on.

Build 9.jpg

I like the swoopy shape of this smallish ROTJ mount for this. I used antique gold Rub 'n Buff for the body. It's not ideal for large areas or high detail, but it came out pretty well. I don't usually do anything this glam, so it was fun to do something flashy and different.

Build 3.jpg

We just had a plumbing emergency, so I had a ton of 1/2" copper pipe they had to rip out, so the barrel was probably the most expensive part at $800.00.

Build 4.jpg

The copper pipe was a perfect fit for the barrel and grill. It's so satisfying when stuff just fits together without a lot of jiggery-pokery.

Build 2.jpg

I just bondoed the crap grips that came with the base airsoft. Gluing up the half round on the grips was a *******, I had to buy up all the 1 1/2" Irwin clamps at the two closest Home Depots. Still, you can never have enough clamps.

Build 7.jpg

And...done. Done-ish any way. I think I'd like to go back and do a few changes, like extend the trigger guard forward, and find a nicer solution for the scope attachment.

Build 8.jpg

IMG_6137.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hey, I'm glad you posted that thread, I was just explaining to my girlfriend how your blaster was awesome and super different and that I was very curious to see who did it and to know a bit more about your build.
So, congrats again, the blaster mash-up is a great idea and the realization is top notch! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back