Pre-made registry keys for figure body parts

ParkerLuck

Hey All,

I've been sculpting for awhile but I am relatively new to casting. I've been working on a Teto from Hayao Miyazaki's "Nausicaa" in Monster Clay and I'm realizing there is no way I can mold this thing. Ears, tails, legs, everything is sticking out everywhere. I currently mold with typical armature, but I've seen people making registration keys for the separate parts of a model (i.e. keys for the neck, shoulders, wrists etc)

I was wondering if these come as premade options? I'm working in hot and humid Tokyo and my Monster Clay isn't always stable or reliable enough to keep key shape or hold parts in while I sculpt. I know I could create my own but I'm busy/lazy and was wondering if there are pre-made options in different sizes available? IMG_20170627_235854.jpg

For your keys, you could use blocks and pins (cylinders) using more stable materials such plastic or wood stocks. It would be best if you had both matching male and female shapes to embed in your work. You could also use plastic sheet at the joints to make a more uniform mating surface. Probably best if pre-engineered but can also incorporate post-sculpt, just requires some minor repairs. Do you have an armature? Working with the clay chilled?

Ah, just don't know of any premade connector keys, which would ideally come in a wide range of sizes and angular offsets with holes to hold armature wire. A new product opportunity, perhaps?

I like your scupting, btw. You've captured the look very well.

Regards, Robert

Thanks, rbeach84. I would love it if there WERE a premade option, but I'm slowly coming to understand I will need to create my own. My main problem is that the more steps there are to completing a project, the less likely I am to actually finish it, haha. ADD and a propensity towards procrastination are my two greatest weaknesses.

I wish I could 3D print anything! lol. I bet someone could design armature keys though. Heck I could do the design work if someone could print/mold them.

I've seen over on the Club House forum some folks will cast resin onto clay impressions, install them in one side then press them into the other part.

Usually the original sculpt is in sculpy or epoxy.

I'd love for them to be plastic, with a neodymium magnet connection for a good hold, but a quick release too. That way I'm not always thumbing the details out of my clay. They'd be totally reusable once you had a good mold/cast and were finished with the original sculpt.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back