Repairing chips to gold vac metal/plastic

RadarRedsox

Hey guys I recently bought a second hand golden idol. However there is some minor damage to the gold plating on the knee where it seems to have been knocked.
It seems to be resin with what I think is called vac metal, a shiny coating of gold.
Just wondering it there is a method of preventing the chip from growing and more of the gold peeling off.

Many thanks Hombres

It might be cold-cast. That's when you paint the inside of the mold with powdered metal and mix the powder with the resin. When you pour the resin, it bounds to the powder on the inside of the mold. You then buff the model to bring out the luster of the powder.

Does the exposed resin in the chip have a dull metal look to it? Does the bottom of the piece also look dull and metallic? Or do they look like regular plastic?

If it is cold-cast, it shouldn't chip off any more. The metal powered will be part of the resin. Just protect the rest of the piece from damage.

Hey guys I recently bought a second hand golden idol. However there is some minor damage to the gold plating on the knee where it seems to have been knocked.
It seems to be resin with what I think is called vac metal, a shiny coating of gold.
Just wondering it there is a method of preventing the chip from growing and more of the gold peeling off.

Many thanks Hombres

Can you post a photo?

Hey guys here are some pictures.
19225214_1328974933836543_3561156649584873864_n.jpg19274994_1328974963836540_2910995005207763962_n.jpg

Pretty sure it isn't cold cast, its like the kind of thing you see on vintage SW figures and other toys.

Thanks!

I don't know about just fixing that spot without stripping the entire gold-plate off and then re-plating it again, but in such a small area that most won't see, I'd grab a can of mirror gold paint and cover it that way. But that's just me.

Hey guys here are some pictures.
View attachment 737652View attachment 737653

Pretty sure it isn't cold cast, its like the kind of thing you see on vintage SW figures and other toys.

Thanks!

Is that chip under the knee?

If so, I'd be inclined to take the route PoopaPapaPalps just said.

Vacuum plating would require the entire part to be stripped and re-prepped or the edges of the chip would be enhanced after the process.

You can try to fill in the chips with a Molotow Liquid Chrome marker, and when it is dry coat that with a little clear yellow (or a mix of clear yellow/orange... you'll need to do tests to match the color). Won't be perfect but will be closer to chrome gold than a spray paint, and you won't need to mask anything (avoiding the risk of pulling off any more of the plating).

If it doesn't work there's always the spray paint to fall back on.

The closest match to the reflective finish of vac-metalising that I've been able to achieve is with mirror leaf. I'd smooth the damaged area with some body filler/milliput, undercoat it with gold paint then lay some mirror leaf over the top.

This is the stuff I've been using:

mirror leaf.jpg

And you can see it in use over a red undercoat on the right of this picture. With a gold undercoat the gaps in the application are less visible.

Idol gold test.jpg

Definitely try it on something less valuable first though.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input!
it is just below the knee, im not bothered about it aesthetically I just dont want it to further peel or crumble off.
Im thinking clear nail varnish? or is there a more delicate product?

Thanks guys

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back