Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Jan 29, 2017, 8:40 PM - molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #1

this liquid chrome pen from Molotow looks promising. very reflective and the closest to chrome effect i have ever seen. great for terminator, winter soldier, captain phasma props etc. and doesn't cost an arm or leg! : D thanks to "the terminator" for the great find!

this guy posted a review video on youtube. skip to 15:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqZgAy6kRG0

and this is "terminator's" demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US76...ature=youtu.be
    From
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    Jan 30, 2017, 12:08 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #2

That is amazing. To think you can get that finish from a paint marker is just incredible. I wonder how it would look on larger surfaces.
    For those people into vehicle models with chrome parts that are cut from spruces, I'm sure this is a godsend.

TazMan2000
  3. CSM-117 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    Jan 30, 2017, 1:31 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #3

It's definitely a great product. Awesome for faking metal weathering
    From
    Los Angeles, United States
    Jan 30, 2017, 5:23 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #4

This is incredible! Would love to see a gold version of this! Was a huge pain in the ass trying to sort out a reflective surface for the Rufio sword I made.
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Jan 30, 2017, 7:54 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #5

That's nuts! I may have to get one or two. I have no idea what to use it for yet though.
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Jan 30, 2017, 8:08 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #6

same! i am trying to resist buying this because i have no idea what to use it for and i don't want the pen to dry up when i have no props to paint : p

Sluis Van Shipyards said: View Post
    That's nuts! I may have to get one or two. I have no idea what to use it for yet though.
    From
    L.A.
    Jan 31, 2017, 1:51 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #7

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7096.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	702732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7097.JPG 
Size:	922.0 KB 
ID:	702733

So I picked them up and decided to try them out on a Star-Lord I am painting. On larger areas, close up the "brush strokes" of the marker are pretty clearly visible. I almost wonder if opening the marker and transferring the ink to a wider chiseled tip marker would be better? I was using the biggest one they sell, the 4 MM.

For small details that you can get in one stroke, such as the tubes here and weathering? It is absolutely amazing.
    It won't replace Alumaluster for chrome on larger areas but specifically for battle damaging? It's PERFECT. Even though the strokes are visible close up, from a distance the chrome look is actually quite amazing.

I'll have better HD photos soon when my camera is charged up.
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Jan 31, 2017, 1:56 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #8

looks good!! can you do a spoon test and take close up shots as well??? thank you!!! : D
    Mr Mold Maker said: View Post

So I picked them up and decided to try them out on a Star-Lord I am painting. On larger areas, close up the "brush strokes" of the marker are pretty clearly visible. I almost wonder if opening the marker and transferring the ink to a wider chiseled tip marker would be better? I was using the biggest one they sell, the 4 MM.

For small details that you can get in one stroke, such as the tubes here and weathering? It is absolutely amazing.
    It won't replace Alumaluster for chrome on larger areas but specifically for battle damaging? It's PERFECT. Even though the strokes are visible close up, from a distance the chrome look is actually quite amazing.

From
    Cologne, Germany
    Jan 31, 2017, 5:05 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #9

Would it be an option to use the paint with an airbrush? They offer the Molotov liquid chrome as refill sticks as well!!!
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    Jan 31, 2017, 7:35 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #10

OdiWan72 said: View Post
    Would it be an option to use the paint with an airbrush? They offer the Molotov liquid chrome as refill sticks as well!!!
    I was thinking the same thing.
  11. CSM-117 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    Jan 31, 2017, 8:37 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #11

That's odd, my 1mm doesn't leave any visible strokes
    From
    L.A.
    Jan 31, 2017, 8:46 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #12

I have one of the 1mm's that should be here soon and I'll definitely test that out as well.

It seems like the wider rounded tip is depositing the chrome unevenly on the edges of the stroke. I tried just about everything to get nice and even finish, but keep in mind this is a much larger flat area. It seems to perform very well as I said for smaller weathering, and additionally on curved surfaces. It could just totally be me sucking with it too, I'll keep playing with it and figure something out eventually.

The Terminator said: View Post
    That's odd, my 1mm doesn't leave any visible strokes
    - - - Updated - - -

OdiWan72 said: View Post
    I haven't been able to find the refil for sale in America.
    Last edited by Mr Mold Maker; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:36 AM.
    From
    L.A.
    Jan 31, 2017, 9:15 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #13

EDIT: Scratch that, actually. Need to do more tests.
    Last edited by Mr Mold Maker; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:35 AM.
  14. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 31, 2017, 11:17 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #14

Did a quick test of this paint on the first thing I grabbed - a superglue cap. Keep in mind this is with zero surface prep so there's a bit of roughness from the cap, but overall it is VERY impressive:

Definitely the most realistic metal/chrome look of any paint I've used so far.

After drying overnight, the paint does dull a bit if you rub it with a finger, but wasn't affected by buffing with a cloth. Will try a clear coat later.
  15. RPF Premium Member Johnnyfl's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jan 31, 2017, 11:58 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #15

E Williams said: View Post
    After drying overnight, the paint does dull a bit if you rub it with a finger, but wasn't affected by buffing with a cloth. Will try a clear coat later.
    I'd be interested to see how you get on with the clear coat as that tends to kill most half decent chrome effect paints out there so fingers crossed for you
    From
    Midwest
    Jan 31, 2017, 12:12 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #16

Bought 2. Sooooo much quicker for little details.
    From
    Scotland
    Jan 31, 2017, 2:39 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #17

E Williams said: View Post
    Did a quick test of this paint on the first thing I grabbed - a superglue cap. Keep in mind this is with zero surface prep so there's a bit of roughness from the cap, but overall it is VERY impressive:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/562/32...02a9afbed8.jpg

Definitely the most realistic metal/chrome look of any paint I've used so far.

Nice job.

What size nib was on your pen in the test?

Just ordered the 2mm, hope someone can try this though an airbrish. All my stuff is in storage so can try it myself.
    Last edited by zorg; Jan 31, 2017 at 2:53 PM.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 31, 2017, 2:59 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #18

zorg said: View Post

What size nib was on your pen in the test?
    Thanks, but the marker did all the work! It's the 4 mm nib. I applied it in a uniform wet coat and it settled a bit as it dried.
  19. RPF Premium Member razorsharp192's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:02 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #19

Not seen Alumaluster before, how good is it? Durable? can you clear coat it?
    From
    Scotland
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:04 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #20

E williams

Were the pen strokes quite evident in the final finish?

It looks like it has good coverage.
    From
    L.A.
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:20 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #21

Alumaluster is a product from Imperial Surface Technologies. Hard to get and stupid expensive. It is what actual fx shops use. I'm sure you've seen it from Legacy FX.. Iron Man, Thor's Hammer, Winter Soldier's arm, and more, all Alumaluster or IST products.

It is more durable than other chromes like Alclad and Spaz Stix because it has a resin base, and if you clear coat right it can be done without any dulling of the chrome. Clearcoat right? Yeah, water based clear with a tint of violet or blue. Teeny, tiny, minuscule drop of pigment and your chrome won't cloud.

razorsharp192 said: View Post
    Not seen Alumaluster before, how good is it? Durable? can you clear coat it?
    From
    L.A.
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:24 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #22

As for the question, can Molotow be airbrushed?

Name:	IMG_7173.JPG 
Views:	444 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	703059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7172.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	703058

Yes. Yes it can. These photos really don't do it justice. I am looking at it right now and it's comparable to a vac metalized piece.

I will wait a day or so and then do some clear coat tests.
  23. RPF Premium Member
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:26 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #23

E williams

Were the pen strokes quite evident in the final finish?

It looks like it has good coverage.
    The pen strokes self-leveled and disappeared for the most part, because it was applied in a wet coat. The cap is rather small, though. I'll need to do a test of a larger area.
    From
    Scotland
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:45 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #24

Im thinking if this was decanted through an airbrush, a larger nozzle and wet coat would be better.
    Something like an iwata rg-3.

I think if this was sprayed quite dry it would not give the refective surface needed.

As far as that alumaluster stuff goes, anyone have examples using it? The website pics always look better than real life.
    From
    L.A.
    Feb 1, 2017, 11:24 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #25

When I sprayed the Liquid Chrome I definitely needed to do one wet coat. You can't apply it how you do normal chrome paints, building up slowly. When I said it wouldn't replace Alumaluster on larger areas, that was BEFORE I cracked one open and airbrushed it. As far as I'm concerned? I found my new favorite chrome. I feel like it is all around better than Alumaluster out of an airbrush and that is something I NEVER thought I'd say!

However.. since you asked for examples..
    The one one closest to my hand is Alumaluster on my tests here, trying out a few various chromes.

Name:	IMG_7251.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	703277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7252.JPG 
Views:	385 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	703278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7253.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	373.9 KB 
ID:	703279

Im thinking if this was decanted through an airbrush, a larger nozzle and wet coat would be better.
    Something like an iwata rg-3.

I think if this was sprayed quite dry it would not give the refective surface needed.

As far as that alumaluster stuff goes, anyone have examples using it? The website pics always look better than real life.