Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Messages
    13
    Jan 29, 2017, 8:40 PM - molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #1

    this liquid chrome pen from Molotow looks promising. very reflective and the closest to chrome effect i have ever seen. great for terminator, winter soldier, captain phasma props etc. and doesn't cost an arm or leg! : D thanks to "the terminator" for the great find!

    this guy posted a review video on youtube. skip to 15:00


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqZgAy6kRG0

    and this is "terminator's" demo video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US76...ature=youtu.be
  2. TazMan2000's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
    Messages
    1,641
    Jan 30, 2017, 12:08 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #2

    That is amazing. To think you can get that finish from a paint marker is just incredible. I wonder how it would look on larger surfaces.
    For those people into vehicle models with chrome parts that are cut from spruces, I'm sure this is a godsend.

    TazMan2000
  3. CSM-117 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2011
    From
    Sweden
    Messages
    4,241
    Jan 30, 2017, 1:31 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #3

    It's definitely a great product. Awesome for faking metal weathering
  4. Mooniteman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Los Angeles, United States
    Messages
    642
    Jan 30, 2017, 5:23 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #4

    This is incredible! Would love to see a gold version of this! Was a huge pain in the ass trying to sort out a reflective surface for the Rufio sword I made.
  5. Sluis Van Shipyards's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 1999
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Messages
    10,723
    Jan 30, 2017, 7:54 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #5

    That's nuts! I may have to get one or two. I have no idea what to use it for yet though.
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Messages
    13
    Jan 30, 2017, 8:08 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #6

    same! i am trying to resist buying this because i have no idea what to use it for and i don't want the pen to dry up when i have no props to paint : p

    Sluis Van Shipyards said: View Post
    That's nuts! I may have to get one or two. I have no idea what to use it for yet though.
  7. Mr Mold Maker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    L.A.
    Messages
    2,155
    Jan 31, 2017, 1:51 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #7

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7096.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	702732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7097.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	922.0 KB 
ID:	702733

    So I picked them up and decided to try them out on a Star-Lord I am painting. On larger areas, close up the "brush strokes" of the marker are pretty clearly visible. I almost wonder if opening the marker and transferring the ink to a wider chiseled tip marker would be better? I was using the biggest one they sell, the 4 MM.

    For small details that you can get in one stroke, such as the tubes here and weathering? It is absolutely amazing.
    It won't replace Alumaluster for chrome on larger areas but specifically for battle damaging? It's PERFECT. Even though the strokes are visible close up, from a distance the chrome look is actually quite amazing.

    I'll have better HD photos soon when my camera is charged up.
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Messages
    13
    Jan 31, 2017, 1:56 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #8

    looks good!! can you do a spoon test and take close up shots as well??? thank you!!! : D
    Mr Mold Maker said: View Post

    So I picked them up and decided to try them out on a Star-Lord I am painting. On larger areas, close up the "brush strokes" of the marker are pretty clearly visible. I almost wonder if opening the marker and transferring the ink to a wider chiseled tip marker would be better? I was using the biggest one they sell, the 4 MM.

    For small details that you can get in one stroke, such as the tubes here and weathering? It is absolutely amazing.
    It won't replace Alumaluster for chrome on larger areas but specifically for battle damaging? It's PERFECT. Even though the strokes are visible close up, from a distance the chrome look is actually quite amazing.

    I'll have better HD photos soon when my camera is charged up.
  9. RPF Premium Member OdiWan72's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2000
    From
    Cologne, Germany
    Messages
    5,267
    Jan 31, 2017, 5:05 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #9

    Would it be an option to use the paint with an airbrush? They offer the Molotov liquid chrome as refill sticks as well!!!
  10. robn1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    Messages
    6,881
    Jan 31, 2017, 7:35 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #10

    OdiWan72 said: View Post
    Would it be an option to use the paint with an airbrush? They offer the Molotov liquid chrome as refill sticks as well!!!
    I was thinking the same thing.
  11. CSM-117 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2011
    From
    Sweden
    Messages
    4,241
    Jan 31, 2017, 8:37 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #11

    Mr Mold Maker said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7096.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	702732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7097.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	922.0 KB 
ID:	702733

    So I picked them up and decided to try them out on a Star-Lord I am painting. On larger areas, close up the "brush strokes" of the marker are pretty clearly visible. I almost wonder if opening the marker and transferring the ink to a wider chiseled tip marker would be better? I was using the biggest one they sell, the 4 MM.

    For small details that you can get in one stroke, such as the tubes here and weathering? It is absolutely amazing.
    It won't replace Alumaluster for chrome on larger areas but specifically for battle damaging? It's PERFECT. Even though the strokes are visible close up, from a distance the chrome look is actually quite amazing.

    I'll have better HD photos soon when my camera is charged up.
    That's odd, my 1mm doesn't leave any visible strokes
  12. Mr Mold Maker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    L.A.
    Messages
    2,155
    Jan 31, 2017, 8:46 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #12

    I have one of the 1mm's that should be here soon and I'll definitely test that out as well.

    It seems like the wider rounded tip is depositing the chrome unevenly on the edges of the stroke. I tried just about everything to get nice and even finish, but keep in mind this is a much larger flat area. It seems to perform very well as I said for smaller weathering, and additionally on curved surfaces. It could just totally be me sucking with it too, I'll keep playing with it and figure something out eventually.

    The Terminator said: View Post
    That's odd, my 1mm doesn't leave any visible strokes
    - - - Updated - - -

    OdiWan72 said: View Post
    Would it be an option to use the paint with an airbrush? They offer the Molotov liquid chrome as refill sticks as well!!!
    I haven't been able to find the refil for sale in America.
    Last edited by Mr Mold Maker; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:36 AM.
  13. Mr Mold Maker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    L.A.
    Messages
    2,155
    Jan 31, 2017, 9:15 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #13

    EDIT: Scratch that, actually. Need to do more tests.
    Last edited by Mr Mold Maker; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:35 AM.
  14. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Jul 1999
    Messages
    1,192
    Jan 31, 2017, 11:17 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #14

    Did a quick test of this paint on the first thing I grabbed - a superglue cap. Keep in mind this is with zero surface prep so there's a bit of roughness from the cap, but overall it is VERY impressive:



    Definitely the most realistic metal/chrome look of any paint I've used so far.

    After drying overnight, the paint does dull a bit if you rub it with a finger, but wasn't affected by buffing with a cloth. Will try a clear coat later.
  15. RPF Premium Member Johnnyfl's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2015
    From
    UK
    Messages
    654
    Jan 31, 2017, 11:58 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #15

    E Williams said: View Post
    After drying overnight, the paint does dull a bit if you rub it with a finger, but wasn't affected by buffing with a cloth. Will try a clear coat later.
    I'd be interested to see how you get on with the clear coat as that tends to kill most half decent chrome effect paints out there so fingers crossed for you
  16. RPF Premium Member dmpsk8's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    From
    Midwest
    Messages
    283
    Jan 31, 2017, 12:12 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #16

    Bought 2. Sooooo much quicker for little details.
  17. zorg's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2002
    From
    Scotland
    Messages
    3,199
    Jan 31, 2017, 2:39 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #17

    E Williams said: View Post
    Did a quick test of this paint on the first thing I grabbed - a superglue cap. Keep in mind this is with zero surface prep so there's a bit of roughness from the cap, but overall it is VERY impressive:

    https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/562/32...02a9afbed8.jpg

    Definitely the most realistic metal/chrome look of any paint I've used so far.

    After drying overnight, the paint does dull a bit if you rub it with a finger, but wasn't affected by buffing with a cloth. Will try a clear coat later.
    Nice job.

    What size nib was on your pen in the test?


    Just ordered the 2mm, hope someone can try this though an airbrish. All my stuff is in storage so can try it myself.
    Last edited by zorg; Jan 31, 2017 at 2:53 PM.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Jul 1999
    Messages
    1,192
    Jan 31, 2017, 2:59 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #18

    zorg said: View Post

    What size nib was on your pen in the test?
    Thanks, but the marker did all the work! It's the 4 mm nib. I applied it in a uniform wet coat and it settled a bit as it dried.
  19. RPF Premium Member razorsharp192's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    UK
    Messages
    931
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:02 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #19

    Mr Mold Maker said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7096.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	702732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7097.JPG 
Views:	553 
Size:	922.0 KB 
ID:	702733

    So I picked them up and decided to try them out on a Star-Lord I am painting. On larger areas, close up the "brush strokes" of the marker are pretty clearly visible. I almost wonder if opening the marker and transferring the ink to a wider chiseled tip marker would be better? I was using the biggest one they sell, the 4 MM.

    For small details that you can get in one stroke, such as the tubes here and weathering? It is absolutely amazing.
    It won't replace Alumaluster for chrome on larger areas but specifically for battle damaging? It's PERFECT. Even though the strokes are visible close up, from a distance the chrome look is actually quite amazing.

    I'll have better HD photos soon when my camera is charged up.
    Not seen Alumaluster before, how good is it? Durable? can you clear coat it?
  20. zorg's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2002
    From
    Scotland
    Messages
    3,199
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:04 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #20

    E williams

    Were the pen strokes quite evident in the final finish?

    It looks like it has good coverage.
  21. Mr Mold Maker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    L.A.
    Messages
    2,155
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:20 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #21

    Alumaluster is a product from Imperial Surface Technologies. Hard to get and stupid expensive. It is what actual fx shops use. I'm sure you've seen it from Legacy FX.. Iron Man, Thor's Hammer, Winter Soldier's arm, and more, all Alumaluster or IST products.

    It is more durable than other chromes like Alclad and Spaz Stix because it has a resin base, and if you clear coat right it can be done without any dulling of the chrome. Clearcoat right? Yeah, water based clear with a tint of violet or blue. Teeny, tiny, minuscule drop of pigment and your chrome won't cloud.

    razorsharp192 said: View Post
    Not seen Alumaluster before, how good is it? Durable? can you clear coat it?
  22. Mr Mold Maker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    L.A.
    Messages
    2,155
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:24 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #22

    As for the question, can Molotow be airbrushed?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7173.JPG 
Views:	444 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	703059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7172.JPG 
Views:	462 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	703058

    Yes. Yes it can. These photos really don't do it justice. I am looking at it right now and it's comparable to a vac metalized piece.

    I will wait a day or so and then do some clear coat tests.
  23. RPF Premium Member
    Member Since
    Jul 1999
    Messages
    1,192
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:26 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #23

    zorg said: View Post
    E williams

    Were the pen strokes quite evident in the final finish?

    It looks like it has good coverage.
    The pen strokes self-leveled and disappeared for the most part, because it was applied in a wet coat. The cap is rather small, though. I'll need to do a test of a larger area.
  24. zorg's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2002
    From
    Scotland
    Messages
    3,199
    Jan 31, 2017, 3:45 PM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #24

    Im thinking if this was decanted through an airbrush, a larger nozzle and wet coat would be better.
    Something like an iwata rg-3.

    I think if this was sprayed quite dry it would not give the refective surface needed.

    As far as that alumaluster stuff goes, anyone have examples using it? The website pics always look better than real life.
  25. Mr Mold Maker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    From
    L.A.
    Messages
    2,155
    Feb 1, 2017, 11:24 AM - Re: molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints #25

    When I sprayed the Liquid Chrome I definitely needed to do one wet coat. You can't apply it how you do normal chrome paints, building up slowly. When I said it wouldn't replace Alumaluster on larger areas, that was BEFORE I cracked one open and airbrushed it. As far as I'm concerned? I found my new favorite chrome. I feel like it is all around better than Alumaluster out of an airbrush and that is something I NEVER thought I'd say!


    However.. since you asked for examples..
    The one one closest to my hand is Alumaluster on my tests here, trying out a few various chromes.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7251.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	703277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7252.JPG 
Views:	385 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	703278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7253.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	373.9 KB 
ID:	703279


    zorg said: View Post
    Im thinking if this was decanted through an airbrush, a larger nozzle and wet coat would be better.
    Something like an iwata rg-3.

    I think if this was sprayed quite dry it would not give the refective surface needed.

    As far as that alumaluster stuff goes, anyone have examples using it? The website pics always look better than real life.

Similar Threads

  1. Liquid Chrome Aerosol
    SofaKing01, General Modeling
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Aug 26, 2015, 6:59 AM
  2. Chrome and gold Chrome spray paint?
    nefiwashere, Replica Props
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Sep 1, 2014, 4:34 PM
  3. Paint pens for chrome
    Shmwe Shmwe, Replica Props
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 16, 2014, 3:34 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 15, 2012, 2:22 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 26, 2012, 3:55 PM